shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Blue Sapphire would you pick & why?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
I have been trying to post just the picture of these sapphires, but haven''t been able to... here are the links. Any input would be greatly appreciated. My budget is under $1,000-- Ideally $500-$600. The 3rd one I''ve posted is just over $1000, I just don''t know if I want to spend that much..

#1: http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Blue/Cushion/stoneid=B3022

#2: http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Blue/Cushion/stoneid=B2890

#3: http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Blue/Cushion/stoneid=B3024

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Not too keen on none of those, but if I had to pick, it would probably be #3 with #1 being my second choice, but that one has a grayed out area. The 2nd one seems to have a good sized window.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2 is cut horridly, and has a huge window.
#1 has bad faceting and the color is not very impressive
#3 has the best color and cutting of all three, so I would pick this one.

If you want to spend less, how about a heated sapphire (gentle heat only). That way you can get a nicer color for less money. Check out "simplysapphires.com" for some cushions.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/26/2008 4:24:13 PM
Author: mochi
Not too keen on none of those, but if I had to pick, it would probably be #3 with #1 being my second choice, but that one has a grayed out area. The 2nd one seems to have a good sized window.
When you say "window" what does that mean? I don''t know much about colored stones so I''d like to learn as much as I can. Thanks!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
#2 is cut so shallow that light leaks through (i.e. it is windowed). I would pass on that one.

I like #1, but is is very light in color, and I am not sure it is eyeclean.

#3 is the best, but it is out on memo, which means someone is looking at it already.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/26/2008 6:04:37 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

If you want to spend less, how about a heated sapphire (gentle heat only). That way you can get a nicer color for less money. Check out ''simplysapphires.com'' for some cushions.
Thanks for the input Tourmaline & Mochi! I''m slowly learning about what to look for in sapphires, but there is so much to learn! Its a tad overwhelming to be honest.
Tourmaline: How do you determine which blues are good and which aren''t? Looking at #1 you mentioned that the faceting is bad, what makes it bad? I need to learn a lot before I make my purchase! I just wish it wasn''t so difficult! I will check out simplysapphires.com Thanks for the advice!

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Ltl Firecracker. I've been working with Livia at The Natural Sapphire Co. and she recommended #3. She took a few pictures of them on her hand for me but I can't get the pictures to post.. I'll keep trying though.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
No problem:

Here are a couple from simply sapphires that cought my eye. Mind you, I am not as experienced as some of the other people posting here, so if they see a problem, than take that advice.

sapphire 2

sapphire 3
sapphire 1

ETA: to fix links - but now they are out of order :(

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll have to do some research on simplysapphires.com Thanks for posting those links. They do look like beautiful stones. I couldn''t see the first one that you posted for some reason. I really like the 3rd one.
1.gif

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/26/2008 9:44:43 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
No problem:

Here are a couple from simply sapphires that cought my eye. Mind you, I am not as experienced as some of the other people posting here, so if they see a problem, than take that advice.

sapphire 2

sapphire 3

sapphire 1

ETA: to fix links - but now they are out of order :(

Do you think that #1 looks like it has a large window?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
No prob, try the first one now, it works on mine after my revision.

ETA: it might be the flash. I get that a lot when I photograph my stones. You will have to ask them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2008 9:35:36 PM
Author: westjenn

Date: 12/26/2008 6:04:37 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

If you want to spend less, how about a heated sapphire (gentle heat only). That way you can get a nicer color for less money. Check out 'simplysapphires.com' for some cushions.
Thanks for the input Tourmaline & Mochi! I'm slowly learning about what to look for in sapphires, but there is so much to learn! Its a tad overwhelming to be honest.
Tourmaline: How do you determine which blues are good and which aren't? Looking at #1 you mentioned that the faceting is bad, what makes it bad? I need to learn a lot before I make my purchase! I just wish it wasn't so difficult! I will check out simplysapphires.com Thanks for the advice!
Well, you learn a lot by looking at a stone face down as they appear in the other pictures. The pointy tip at the bottom, called the cutlet, is off center, and the faceting as it appears directly at you with the top of the stone (the table) face toward you, has unsymmetrical facets. As for color, it's often difficult to tell from a photo, but the stone appears to be more grey than the bottom stone. With blue or green sapphires, it is important to rule out as much grey as you can, which is an undesirable secondary hue to the blue. You can often see the grey better through the pavillion, the bottom of the stone as it is lying face down. It also looks more grey to me through the table of the stone.

Windows are just what they sound like, you want to be able to see through the window of your house, but not through your gemstone. In a properly cut stone, all the light that goes in should also reflect back out at you when looking directly into the table of a stone. When a stone is cut too shallow, what happens is the angle of light will not come back up at you, but it will pass directly through the stone.

Be careful when buying sapphires since many are dyed and this is undisclosed and often simply sold as a "heated" stone. You want to make sure the stone is just gently heated, and nothing more. Simplysapphires does not sell dyed (otherwise known as beryllium-heated or diffused) stones.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I''ve decided to go with a gently heated stone from simplysapphires. Can you give me your input on the following sapphires please? Thanks
emwink.gif

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
For reference, this is the setting I"m having made for the sapphire:
original.aspx

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't open those links for some reason, but make sure the sapphire you get is well cut and is bright enough (not over extinct) to take advantage of a bezel setting. Never bezel a windowed stone! That is a beautiful modern design bezel ring.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Jenn... you've been a busy bee!! LOL

#1 and #3 has a window. I like the color of #2 and if you are going to bezel sit, you don't want the stone to be too dark. Would have to see it in person.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Mochi, thanks for the input :) Yes, I''ve been quite busy trying to find a nice stone for the setting! I really like the color of 2 as well.. the search continues!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color on #3 the best by far, but the stone has a significant window therefore, I would not bezel it if I were you. The other two are a steely light blue, and although #2 is probably a better cut and color than #1, I do see some significant zoning on it that I would inquire about. Bezeling it might therefore help with the zoning.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don''t know if you know but your first set of links are different from the second set. This is missing from the second set and a new one has taken its place!

http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesblue2006/bluecns1495i-sm.html

Your first set don''t work because you have the http in twice at the beginning of the links. If you remove them both they work.

I agree with TL that I like #3 best for colour. I would ask John about the cut and whether the window is very apparent or not. Also, I like the fact that it''s unheated and you could get an AGTA cert!

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I''ve sent an email to John and I''ll wait to see what he says about #1 & #2. I''ll keep you posted and hopefully will be able to show you the finished product soon!
One more question: Would you get the AGTA certificate?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2008 5:19:46 PM
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I''ve sent an email to John and I''ll wait to see what he says about #1 & #2. I''ll keep you posted and hopefully will be able to show you the finished product soon!
One more question: Would you get the AGTA certificate?
Personally yes because unheated sapphires are not as common as heated and so if you have a valuation for insurance purposes in case of loss, it will help.

If you decide to get that sapphire I would ask John to see it first and then send it back and get the AGTA - no point in getting it certified and then not being happy.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Lovingdiamonds! What about one of the heated ones? Would you recommend asking him to send it to me so I can see it before I buy it or should I ask for additional pictures so that I can see it more clearly? Have you ever bought a stone based on photos and not seen it in person?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2008 6:00:11 PM
Thanks Lovingdiamonds! What about one of the heated ones? Would you recommend asking him to send it to me so I can see it before I buy it or should I ask for additional pictures so that I can see it more clearly? Have you ever bought a stone based on photos and not seen it in person?
Yes, all the time! Most of the sellers that you see people buy from on this forum have well cut, reasonably priced, gorgeous gemstones and from my experience their customer service is personal and second to none.

I think you''re in safe hands with Simply Sapphire but if you''re worried then ask them the question. If they have a return policy then you''ve got nothing to lose by buying the one(s) you like and returning what you don''t want. I think you have to buy first rather than have it sent and then buy (if you see what I mean) - especially if you''re a new customer to them.

Good luck - lovely choice to make!

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/29/2008 6:14:58 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Date: 12/29/2008 6:00:11 PM

Yes, all the time! Most of the sellers that you see people buy from on this forum have well cut, reasonably priced, gorgeous gemstones and from my experience their customer service is personal and second to none.

I think you''re in safe hands with Simply Sapphire but if you''re worried then ask them the question. If they have a return policy then you''ve got nothing to lose by buying the one(s) you like and returning what you don''t want. I think you have to buy first rather than have it sent and then buy (if you see what I mean) - especially if you''re a new customer to them.

Good luck - lovely choice to make!
Thanks for all of your help Lovingdiamonds & everyone else that has helped me!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results