shape
carat
color
clarity

Which ASET Scope??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

domgbrown

Rough_Rock
I want to purchase an ASET scope to help me purchase a princess cut stone. I learned a lot from John Quixote on the forums, but there I''m confused as to which ASET Scope I should get. There is a discontinued handheld model available on several websites and a new handheld model available on the AGS website. Which one is better for my purposes? I am not an expert and just want to compare several princess cut stones to determine the best light return. I will be in the store when I am using it as well. Does anyone have experience with the new handheld ASET?

New handheld ASET: http://www.agsaid.net/pas.aspx#

Old handheld ASET: http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=23&ShowAdd=Y

Thank you very much for any help you can provide. This website is a life saver!
9.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The one on the Ideal-scope site is the original model made by Garry Holloway for the AGS. It is the working component of the current AGS Presentation model which sells for $599.00. AGS used to sell the $50 model for $100 to non-AGS members and for $50 to AGS Members only. It is a very fair deal for $50.

The AGS'' current handheld unit is too small in diameter to work well with larger diamonds. As stones increase in size, the diameter of the ASET becomes a "problem" as the angles of incident light change. I don''t know how large a diamond can get before the small, hand held unit begins to give increasingly incorrect images.

On small diamonds, both tools probably will give very similar results.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I don't care for the smaller/newer handheld ASET at all. The image doesn't look much like the result from the desktop model. I haven't tried it on a wide range of stone sizes though.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Looks like the old one is the better deal. Though...maybe someone from AGS would like to explain the "improvement?"

Also...a second time around with this question...what''s the deal with ASET 30 vs 40? Which is which...and does it matter. Why/when do you want which, and how can you get both?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I prefer the ‘old’ style, that looks sort of like a psychedelic shot glass over the new one that looks sort of like a lipstick tube. It’s easier to use consistently and it works with bigger stones. The only real downside with the old one is that it’s so colorful on the outside that it tends to draw a crowd when you use it. “What’s that thing?” The new one is a bit more discrete.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/2/2008 4:04:02 PM
Author: denverappraiser
I prefer the ‘old’ style, that looks sort of like a psychedelic shot glass over the new one that looks sort of like a lipstick tube. It’s easier to use consistently and it works with bigger stones. The only real downside with the old one is that it’s so colorful on the outside that it tends to draw a crowd when you use it. “What’s that thing?” The new one is a bit more discrete.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver
Actually Neil is referring to his "tie dyed Grateful Dead tee shirt" drawing the crowds when he wears IT.

I have the old psychedelic shot glass model...it actually came in handy on New Year''s Eve.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Jeff Averbook,GG
Graduate Gemologist/Appraiser

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the "improvement" may be limited to "costs them less". It is far more discreet, but when I saw it a few months back it the apparent construction quality reminded me of a Chinese firecracker missing its fuse.
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

I think they may go back to the larger one someday because I believe it simply works better on a larger group of diamonds, but probably AGS currently would disagree. AGS has done so much right when it comes to cut grading that this small criticism is of little overall importance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results