carat
color
clarity

Which antique cushion would you choose?

DCdiamondgirl

Shiny_Rock
So this is my 1.45 H VS2 AVC with strong fluor:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7444/

It is being set in a Leon Mege solitaire with double claw prongs (r907). I hope it's just because I'm so anxious to get it, but I keep thinking it is going to be too small! There's really nothing I can do about it now, but I was just curious: which of these would you choose?

1.45 H VS2 AVC
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7444/

1.6 J VS2 AVC (one of my earlier picks but was snapped up; recently returned to GOG)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7445/

2.4 L VS2 AVC
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7544/

or 2.4 J/K VS2 Antique Cushion
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.c...ntique-Cushion/13637271_EDEWQ#995325027_ov7r8

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
In terms of face up size, the GOG 2.4ct L is the biggest.

However, it's an L color, and you currently have an H with strong flour -- which may make it seem whiter than it is. If you've seen the L color in person and are ok with it, then that's ok. But 2.4 carats and over 8mm in length is a HUGE diamond. Could it be ... too big? :shock:

The two other GOG diamonds are about the same size, but the one you did not get is more square, so that's a matter of preference for you.

The JBEG is a different cutting style, so you'll just have to think if you like it as much as an AVC -- and it's in-between in size.

I do like the one you got, FWIW!

DCdiamondgirl

Shiny_Rock
That's the other problem: I wish I could see the other AVCs in person. It would be great if I could "rule out" the bigger ones because I don't like the lower colors. I keep telling myself that I will be happier with the whiter stone.

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
Er. You can see the other ones in person! Have GOG ship them to an appraiser in the DC area. Will cost you some cash in shipping and appraisal fees (for this one, find the cheapest appraiser you can -- e.g., not our friend in Tyson's who charges $200/hr!!) but if you really want a 2.4 ct diamond and you're getting a 1.4 ct diamond ... that's a whole carat difference.

If you can afford it now, might as well get it right the first time, IMO.

DCdiamondgirl

Shiny_Rock
I wish I had known that was an option.

There's also this 1.74 K.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7543/

I don't know what my ideal size would be. I tried on the Tiffany Novo and a 1.36 looked pretty good on my hand. I hope the 1.45 AVC will face up similarly.

E B

Ideal_Rock
If you change your mind about the 1.45 H, VS2, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. :wavey: :bigsmile:

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
Depends on how color sensitive you are, of course. I've recently decided I prefer size with some warmth, so am in the process of upgrading :naughty:

I'm attaching some pictures of my new AVC - M Color - next to my H color RB and eternity band. It's not completely analogous to an L AVC vs an H AVC, but might give you an idea. You can definitely see the warmth when next to the H color RB - especially in either bright sunlight (where it goes very dark and fiery - compared to the bright silvery H) or canned incandescent light (where it looks like a faint yellow diamond).

Most of the time, though, the M AVC looks ivory or creamy when it's only next to the eternity band. When I can see the warmth the most, it looks like a class of champagne at certin angles.

Hope this sheds some light on what the L might be like for you and how you'd feel about it (since it's the largest, and I understand the temptation to go large!) Maybe L would be too warm for you after seeing these? I have no doubt that your H in a Leon classic will be amazing!!!

By the way, would you mind sharing how it was/is working with Leon, given that you have a GOG stone? I get the sense - from my personal experience with him and reading others' - that he is very testy about working with GOG diamonds because he sees GOG as a "direct competitor"... and I have my heart set on a Leon so I really want to to approach it the right way. ETA: DUH - I already asked you this in your other thread :twirl: Sorry :oops: But it sounds like there was no griping by Leon after he got your stone, right? It will be gorgeous!

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size *hore in me would be screaming "get one of the 2.4 stones". Besides, I like a little color in my cushions. Makes
me feel like they are more antique (even though they may be fresh off the cutting wheel :loopy: ).

DCdiamondgirl

Shiny_Rock
E B said:
This PSer has a 1.45 ct AVC to give you an idea of size (but be sure to take finger size and dimensions into account):

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-gog-omc-chunky-cushion.131208/

I have seen this thread, but since the pics are so close-up, it's hard to tell how it really looks on the hand. Since my diamond is being set as we speak, I don't think I will be giving it up. Plus, my boyfriend would probably just take it away from me if I expressed interest in going bigger!

DCdiamondgirl

Shiny_Rock
Love Street said:
Depends on how color sensitive you are, of course. I've recently decided I prefer size with some warmth, so am in the process of upgrading :naughty:

I'm attaching some pictures of my new AVC - M Color - next to my H color RB and eternity band. It's not completely analogous to an L AVC vs an H AVC, but might give you an idea. You can definitely see the warmth when next to the H color RB - especially in either bright sunlight (where it goes very dark and fiery - compared to the bright silvery H) or canned incandescent light (where it looks like a faint yellow diamond).

Most of the time, though, the M AVC looks ivory or creamy when it's only next to the eternity band. When I can see the warmth the most, it looks like a class of champagne at certin angles.

Hope this sheds some light on what the L might be like for you and how you'd feel about it (since it's the largest, and I understand the temptation to go large!) Maybe L would be too warm for you after seeing these? I have no doubt that your H in a Leon classic will be amazing!!!

By the way, would you mind sharing how it was/is working with Leon, given that you have a GOG stone? I get the sense - from my personal experience with him and reading others' - that he is very testy about working with GOG diamonds because he sees GOG as a "direct competitor"... and I have my heart set on a Leon so I really want to to approach it the right way. ETA: DUH - I already asked you this in your other thread :twirl: Sorry :oops: But it sounds like there was no griping by Leon after he got your stone, right? It will be gorgeous!

Love Street, your new AVC is gorgeous! What size is it? And what size is your RB? Leon didn't say anything to us about the AVC. We didn't mention who we got it from, we just said we had a 1.45 antique-cut cushion and sent it off. You should be fine as long as you've already bought the stone. What setting are you thinking of getting? My whole size dilemma could have been avoided if the bf had just gotten me the Adriana like I wanted, but he hates halos!

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
Hey DCDiamondGirl :wavey:
Thank you! The new AVC is a 3.04ct SI2 - about 8.5mm square. The RB is a .83 VS1 - about 6mm diam. My finger is a 6 or 6.25 - and short...
I am SO in love with the AVCs though - after drooling over them on here for months (and planning my cushion upgrade for 18 mos) - they are just so phenomenal. I feel bad for my neglected RB but - IMHO - the thing doesn't hold a candle to an AVC of any size. Those big facets, rainbows and colors are just beyond beautiful - as I'm sure you know! (If $ were no object I would definitely get a whiter stone - I think it will be harder to match the M with sidestones and there is some slight contrast with the w-band - but I absolutely am in love with the rock nonetheless!)

Can't wait to see yours - what is the ETA for completion? Thanks for the Leon tips too.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
well that JBeG one is gorgeous :) :) but so are the AVCs :)

DCdiamondgirl

Shiny_Rock
Love Street said:
Hey DCDiamondGirl :wavey:
Thank you! The new AVC is a 3.04ct SI2 - about 8.5mm square. The RB is a .83 VS1 - about 6mm diam. My finger is a 6 or 6.25 - and short...
I am SO in love with the AVCs though - after drooling over them on here for months (and planning my cushion upgrade for 18 mos) - they are just so phenomenal. I feel bad for my neglected RB but - IMHO - the thing doesn't hold a candle to an AVC of any size. Those big facets, rainbows and colors are just beyond beautiful - as I'm sure you know! (If $ were no object I would definitely get a whiter stone - I think it will be harder to match the M with sidestones and there is some slight contrast with the w-band - but I absolutely am in love with the rock nonetheless!)

Can't wait to see yours - what is the ETA for completion? Thanks for the Leon tips too.

ETA for completion is less than 2 weeks. I really hope I love it.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I totally know how it feels to second guess. I have J AVC studs and an E cushion ering. ANd I love both. They have different characters. But you know what... for me, I prefer having the bright E as my engagement ring... it's just so icy and fresh. And I'm glad glad glad I went with getting the higher color. Also, remember, if you end up getting DSS, then you can get a really beautiful big blingly wedding ring to complement.

*hugs*

txagkg

Rough_Rock
DCdiamondgirl,

I was the one that snatched up the 1.6 J and then returned it ;-)

Honestly I loved everything about that stone other than the J color. It is almost perfectly square and is cut very well so it has great light performance. However, I am planning on getting a halo setting so the J color was just a little too tinted for me. That is all a matter of personal opinion, of course.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
It posted my post twice. Sorry about that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results