shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Alex to buy?

MountainJuls

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I have been looking off an on for a year for a nice small Alexandrite which will be made into a birthstone ring representing my son. I am not in any rush, but I don't need to wait around for perfect, just pretty good. I have narrowed it down to three stones and would like advice from those who are more experienced with Alex to help me decide. Should I buy one of these, or wait for something else? I have also gotten a video but there are other stones on it that I have eliminated and nothing is labeled so I am just showing pics.

All stones have strong color change, are similarly colored, and they are all cut into an Emerald shape. I know cut isn't king in Alex, it's all about the color. I am just concerned if they would be too dark or muddy IRL, even once set into a ring in platinum. They are all within my budget for this piece, but have somewhat varying prices.

Option 1: smallest, shallowest and cheapest, with a decent size window but maybe that helps see the body color better? Also comes with complimentary GIA cert.
Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 9.44.17 AM.png
Option 2: longer and narrower, middle size and price. Comes with complimentary GIA cert.
Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 9.40.30 AM.png
Option 3: Largest stone and highest price of the three, especially considering it doesn't come with GIA cert and I would want to buy that. This is my top choice of the three, but I'm just a bit hesitant because I am not an experienced buyer.
Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 9.47.20 AM.png

All three together placed on a hand in order 1,2,3. The website pics make them look more different from each other than they do when next to each other. They are all very similar in color, saturation, and color change ability.
Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 9.48.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 9.48.54 AM.png

Thanks!
Juls

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The first one does have that window! One problem with the comparison shots of the three together is the colors are lighter and less saturated than the shots of the stones separately. I'm wary of the accuracy of the photos, so I'm "eh" about them. What's the return policy?

I bought a very nice alex from Yvonne. No cert, but I trust her and could always get one if I wanted. Sometimes Brad @The Gem Trader has one. You might want to reach out to both of them.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one does have that window! One problem with the comparison shots of the three together is the colors are lighter and less saturated than the shots of the stones separately. I'm wary of the accuracy of the photos, so I'm "eh" about them. What's the return policy?

I bought a very nice alex from Yvonne. No cert, but I trust her and could always get one if I wanted. Sometimes Brad @The Gem Trader has one. You might want to reach out to both of them.

I was going to say the same. I don't know if they are actually saturated or not IRL

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If these are from Multicolour.com I would ask David for his opinion. I’d discount no.1 because of the window.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 5 cents.
You need to see the actual gem in your lighting environment. Depending on where you live and what time of year, the colour you see will be slightly different. Add that any photo or video of Alexandrite is unlikely to match what the eye actually sees, it’s important you chose a vendor with an excellent return policy.
I like the third one best.
My advice is also to buy an Alex with the best colour in normal daylight / the environment where you’ll most be wearing the ring.
Realistically the incandescent colour is rarely seen, unless you regularly dine by candlelight/ have old fashioned light bulbs. The colour an Alex shows under LED, fluorescent lights can be quite “meh” and it’s disappointing if you own an Alex that needs very specific lighting conditions to look stunning.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I know I'm not helping, but I like all of them!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Either 2 or 3. I would ask the vendor his opinion on the base colour and strength of shift.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I vote option 2. Alex is my favorite I have a beautiful ring and 2 more coming. What does the actual GIA cert say in terms for color. Some sellers rate them, for ex green changing to purple and the GIA cert will show it "brownish green changing to grey purple" or something like that

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results