shape
carat
color
clarity

Which 5 stone round is more modern? Graduated / equal sides?

Which is a more modern look

• Graduated side diamonds

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • All equal size side diamonds

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Both look even for modern/classic

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,
I decided on a five stone RB setting for my new diamond. I plan to have double claw prongs on the center, single on the sides :). I read today 5 stone is very traditional for a setting. That's fine but prefer not to be super clasic.

Which setting do you feel is more modern?

All equal sides (IE photo #1). Shown with 2ct center, .25 each side stone (1cttw sides)

Or graduated. Pic #2 is just for example. Center would be larger. Wild guess .40s and .25? .35 and .25?

I will be wearing this ring alone (no band).

Thank you for your vote!

screenshot_14.png

screenshot_2015-09-28-21-12-54-1.png

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Which 5 stone round is more modern? Graduated / equal si

To my eye, graduated side stones is a more traditional look, and having the side stones all of one size is a more modern look.

HOWEVER

I much prefer graduated side stones for a stand-alone ring. The first example you posted looks more like an e-ring awaiting the addition of a wedding band, while the second looks more like an all-purpose ring, if that makes sense.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I prefer number two. I love that the side stones 'climb' rather than all being on a flat plane. Gives more visual interest IMO.

My only concern is that they fit onto your finger without the last stones digging into other fingers. Is it possible to see this ring on a hand somewhere or is it a stock photo from a website?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As I've said before I think you'd want 35-40 ish first set, 15ish second set.

25. Pointers for the last set of rounds is imo too large. If Yessies didn't need more than that, I don't think yours would to look nice ::)

A 5stone with the two pairs of sides equal seem to me, to look incomplete without a wedding band, as a poster said above. Also, I just visually don't like the look.

I'm not sure were you read that a 5 stone is very traditional but I can't imagine they meant a ring like this, as I don't find them common at all. Maybe they ment like a 5 stone with 30 pointers?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just for size reference, here is my 2.22 carat round with .33 each side stones. I wanted them to be accent stones so the ratio of center to side is quite high. If I halved the side stones for two more stones, you'd probably be looking at .15. However, I'm not sure this is the correct ratio for ring number two. I think the graduation of the side stones to the center is too stark (meaning very small to much larger) to give a gradual incline. You might ask the vendor what they would recommend in relation to your center stone. Just some food for thought as you consider size of side stones - the sizing will make or break the ring.

_34680.jpg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

VRBeauty,
You actually hit the nail on the head. I asked the seller of the all equal stone band why one would prefer vs graduated. He said it would be easier to bump up a diamond wedding band. That would not be my intention. Good comment :).

MissGotRocks,
.33 look so nice against ur center to my eyes. I kind of like the steep drop versus a slight graduation. I feel it makes your center stone look phenomenal! I like stark :)

Niel
The reason I keep pushing the .25 ct for the bottom stone is because I want to keep some width in the overall band. I can't think of another way to do this unless I channel set the bottom stone to keep the band wider (gold on side). I don't think I would want to do that. Like prong.

Not sure about the traditional five stone comment. Maybe the comment was for an all same size, 5 stone diamond stone ring? They are very traditional IMO.

Good to hear your opinion "two equal stones on one side" looks incomplete. As if is is it's waiting for a wedding band. Same thing the previous poster said, as well as the gentlemen selling the band. :) I don't want incomplete! :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The thing is the 15 pointers are going to be where your fingers meet. You're not going to want large ones because then that will make it more uncomfortable.

.15 pointers are 3.5mm. You could semi bezel the end of those, keeping the shank the same width, and 3.5mm I'd a wide band. I mean, you probably won't see band from the top, anyways.

Ignore the way the stones are set all I'm trying to show here is how the last set of stones meet the shank

dkcsringsdt_0.jpg

02zz13.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They have a five stone version. I saw and tried this on IRL. It was just soooo expensive. But I must love the look of 60/60 diamonds cause I almost bought it with the side stones. That is the only way they will sell it. A local high end retailer carried this brand. It was stunning.

http://www.alinkandco.com/diamond-lattice-rings/

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I personally am a fan of the graduated sides look. I like the way it draws the eye upwards to the center, and makes a nice transition from sides to metal shank.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here are some pics of my old setting. From top down, the view is super blingy and fabulous, except for the six prong. I really wanted 4. I loved how the side stones were set. Super low. LOVE. But the center stone. UGH!! You need to find a nice transition from the low set sides to the higher set center. But, like you, I LOVE the contrast of even sides to center. Allows more POP to the center.

The side view, HATED IT!! Of course I didn't know it would bother me until I wore it for six months. I had hit my ring on lots of stuff, but a large part of that was because I wasn't used to it yet. But it is set too high and a very, very ungraceful transition from side to center. Learn from my mistakes!!

For reference, I'm a 4.5, center 2.59 and sides 30 points. F center, and E/F sides.

_23240.jpg

dsc_0095.jpg

clean_2.png

tilted_0.jpg

profile_4.jpg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Hi, such a busy day. I literally just sat down and near time for bed :(. Votes and suggestions are helpful.

Niel,
TY for the pic and explanation. I remember you shared the picture earlier on one of my many OCD topics. You are correct about not wanting the diamonds to drop between the fingers for the comfort factor. When I get down to business (it will be soon, I am ready and pretty much decided 5 stone graduated), I will measure out 3.5mm. Make a little template! I would love double four claw prong on the main diamond, and was thinking single prong claw on the sides. Half bezel looks nice on the lowest diamond while keeping prongs on the main and top side (as shown in your post). Small details to work out shortly. Good news is, if I do use .15 for the bottoms they do not cost a lot :) lowset side profile is perfect! Lefty ;-)

Winks_Elf
99% sure I am pulling the trigger on the 5 stone graduated. I am at the point now where I just want to get this over and enjoy the diamond. I have been so busy I have not even contacted the vendor to share it's a go on the loose diamond. I want to also have IDJ price out a setting (5 stone). Thank you for your vote and opinion as well.

LLJsmom,
The link was to a ring with same size diamonds around the entire band? Wow! But it was costly! I would bang up the bottom diamonds for sure! Like how they are set. I am always shocked at the prices of the high end retailers!, but gosh do they carry amazing items!

Your dimensions are helpful to hear (need to punch a calculator). Interesting to view your ring and MissGotRocks (plus others) knowing the dimension differences. Small variences in the side stones change the look.

F 2.59? Wow!!! Drool!

I could see how the height would bother you only bc of the banging (as shared earlier, Im a lefty and my rings really take a banging!) Ring itself is stunning!! Beauty! Nobody would ever think elsewise!

Admiring MGRs .33s beside her center. May aim there for the top sides. Need to draw up few sizes. Runs along with Niels .35 to .40 suggestion. In that aprox. range. Small details.

I am assuming I will need to custom this ring? Especially since I want eagle/claw prongs. Really pointed ones. :)

Is there a good reason to go with Platinum over WG? I own only WG/YG. If I'm ever going to splurge...but not if there isnt a good reason to spend the extra $1k. Possible I could not afford Plat. either way. The one at Mervis...ahhhh...felt SO heavy in my hand. WG has always worked well for me. No complaints.

I'm almost there.... :appl: Small details to work out and some pricing around.....is that the light ahead in the tunnel?....lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results