shape
carat
color
clarity

which 3 stone setting? (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nate

Shiny_Rock
I''m pretty sure I''m going to get a custom platinum 3 stone setting made for my engagement ring. Mi amore likes wide, square bands but this has proven difficult to find. However I just came across a ring made by the designer DIANA. Check it out...

(click them for super large images)

My center stone will probably be 1.33ct and the sides 0.35ct each. The pictures above are a 2ct center with side stones 0.2ct each. It has a nice thick, square band just like I was looking for. I like that the wedding band is plain, a diamond wedding band seems to take away from a 3 stone ring IMO. She doesn''t want them soldered together. I don''t like the side stones though... they look kinda funny. Also the prongs seem too thick.

Does anyone have any ideas on what we could do differently with the side stones?

Here are some variations by the same designer... none of them call to me though...

variation1.gif

variation2.gif

variation3.gif

Or if we can''t figure out what to do with the side stones, does anyone have any 3 stone settings they just love? A wide band is a plus!
1.gif

Spyder

Rough_Rock
A wide band will tend to make a diamond look smaller. Side stones can have the same effect. Just keep in mind that if you put a 1.3ct diamond in a wide band with sidestones, it might look small, but if you put the same 1.3ct diamond on a thin solitaire it would look giant. ...but everybody has their own preferences...

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
The first images that you refer to as "square" style band are called "Pipe Fit" because they look like pipes, as in plumbing.
2.gif

You could try pear shape sides. White Flash has some pics on their website. I've seen trillions and they look really neat. Baguettes are always a good choice laying length wise away from the center diamond.

Check out the Trade Shop web site. www.tradeshop.com or click on their link from the PS Vendors page. They have tons of pics to get ideas from.
1.gif

Nate

Shiny_Rock
The more I look at the first pic the more I don't like it... I think shes a bit crazy wanting a wide band with her tiny fingers.
6.gif
Plus with a 3 stone ring you don't get to see as much of the band. She is stuck on the side stones though... at some point a DeBeers "past-present-future" commercial must've planted it in her head.
9.gif
I initially tried to talk her out of a 3 stone ring so we could get a bigger and better center stone. Eventually she kinda gave in by saying she did like a couple different solitaire settings. Since then I've refused to talk to her about it so it can be a surprise.
11.gif
I'll get her what she wants though, the 3 stones.
love.gif

Spyder, I also noted a few other people saying that they wanted to get really small side stones so that they don't over power the center diamond. But to me it seems that really small side stones look cheap next to a big boy. 1.33ct should be big enough to look big next to 0.4ct stones, no? If anyone has pics of similiar sizes/ratios I'd love to see them!!!

I dunno pqcollectibles, I'm not really diggin' any style other than round. Checked out tradeshop, a lot of settings but nothing that really jumped out at me... probably because I'm just looking at round styles and there aren't too many variations between them.
14.gif

The more I look at the Vatche 3 stone truffle setting, the more I think it is the one. From reading PS posts, I don't think it'll be a problem setting the size stones I want.

Initially all I saw was this pic from GOG...

3%20stone%20truffle.jpg

...not too impressive. This is the pic that really did it for me...

3%20stone%20truffle%20side%201.jpg

...!!! I think theres just one thing before I am sure to go for the 3 stone truffle... how does it sit on the finger? I know the pic is huge, but looks like the setting is really tall. Anyone have any pics of this setting on a finger?

Thanks!!!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
That is a very delicate and elegant setting. The scroll work on the baskets under the stones is a very nice touch. The scoops down to the band from the side stones also gives it a "cathedral" look. Very classy semi-mount!
16.gif

I don't have personal experience with this set, but it looks like the center stone will be a bit high. Not real high, just a bit. That will be graduated too, of course, by the sides. So, it won't be like ONE diamond sitting way up high all by itself as can be the case with a solitaire setting.

Maybe she wants a wider band because she's had previous experience with a thin band ring and didn't like it. I had a gorgeous ring with a very thin band that killed me to return. I took it back because I couldn't control the spin. The top was heavy enough that with the thin band, the stone always wanted to go to the palm side of my hand. The diamond was almost always resting on my pinkie when the ring didn't completely drop to the under side.

Maybe she just wants a "heavy", "massive" feel to her ring. Personally, that's my style. I wanna know it's there. And, it makes a great weapon if you ever need to punch someone!
naughty.gif
LOL Just kidding!
appl.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
As far as side stones, I would follow whatever Vatche says is the proper proportions. My 3c center stone is flanked by two .35 baguettes (70 TW). The setting is the Vatche 3stone & the proportions are correct.

Personally, I think going larger sides stone doesn't speak "engagement ring" as much as side accent stones.

Good luck. Vatche settings have heft to them. Maybe that is what she means by "thick".

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Maybe you could've gotten a squared off shank? I think they call it a "euro shank". Supposed to help with the ring spinning.

Vatche custom makes the ring according to the stone that goes in it right? Do you think they do something special like make the band slightly wider?

Vatche's proportions as listed on their website look like this:

sideCT / centerCT = sidePercentage
0.1525 / 0.5 = 0.305%
0.1525 / 0.75 = 0.203%
0.25 / 1 = 0.250%
0.5 / 1.25 = 0.400%
0.5 / 1.5 = 0.333%
0.5 / 2 = 0.250%

Seems they vary quite a bit! Looks like I'm pretty safe, right on the high edge, with 0.5 / 1.33 = 0.376%.
read.gif
9.gif

I emailed a young lady who posted in the forums that she got the 3 stone truffle. It was a quick note inquiring if she had any pics of it on her finger. Turns out a few days after getting the 3 stone truffle she returned it because she felt that it was too low and the center stone wasn't as noticeable because it was at the same level as the side diamonds. Sounds like what I'm looking for!
lickout.gif

I called EE Robbins because they were listed on Vatche's website as being a local reseller. They don't have the 3 stone truffle in stock but said they would order one so I could come in and take a look. I'm sure their price will be super inflated though, I just want to look. I emailed WhiteFlash about getting the diamonds, waiting to hear back. I'll talk to them about the Vatche setting in addition to the diamonds. Maybe I'll give them a call cause I'm an impatient bastage...
errrr.gif
twirl.gif

appl.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm. I have one unset diamond. It is *NOT* a hearts and arrows like Nate's. It wasn't bought for its cut, just its general look (good) and color and clarity. I once had the stone set in a pendant. I think I wore it once. Then I dismantled the pendant and had another one made in the same style but with another (bigger) stone.

The stone is VS clarity (I don't recall if it's a VS1 or VS2) in G color and is 1.38 carats. How do you think a stone like that would look in this setting? I suspect it would look good since it is a pretty stone.

read.gif

PS-I don't understand those percentages above. How does a stone have to be proportioned to fit in that setting?

Nate

Shiny_Rock
The percentages are just ratios between the size of the side stones and the size of the center stone.

0.5 / 1.25 = 0.400%

A 0.5 side is 40% of a 1.25 center.

I'm sure your stone would look wonderful in the setting!
1.gif

dan1elle

Rough_Rock
Wow Nate, that ring looks absolutely stunning!! I have saved the pics to show my boyfriend
1.gif
That should give him some good ideas. Too bad I live in Australia - I have read so many great things about GOG on this forum but I'd be a bit apprehensive about buying a ring from GOG but only because the ring would have to travel such a long way to get to me! D'OH!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results