shape
carat
color
clarity

Where''s the best place to have a stone appraised?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
About 23 years ago my mom found a wallet in the streets of brooklyn. Inside of the wallet the man had $2,500 as well as a blue stone. When my mom contacted the man, he was so pleased to have everything back that he gave my mom the money AND the stone. We never thought much of the stone. My mom gave it to me and I wore it for several years (it was on a necklace) but then stopped and its sitting in my mom''s home. Ever since finding PS, I keep thinking about this stone. It could very well be a $6 stone he found at a county fair somewhere but who knows? Anyways, I have been considering having the stone set in a ring because its really pretty and we''ve had it for years but would like to get it appraised before I do so (in case I need insurance for it).

So where''s the best place? Would I be able to take it to a regular jewelry/diamond store and have it appraised?

Sorry if I''m asking silly questions...I know nothing of diamonds, let alone colored stones.
3.gif
I''m having my brother take pictures of it and he''s sending it over so when I get it, I''ll post photos. Maybe you experts can tell me if its worth anything. If it is, I won''t sell but the idea of having this prett stone that I can pass down generations is very exciting
36.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
For just a preliminary ID of the stone, you could take it to a jewelry store. They should at least be able to tell you if it's a sapphire, topaz, aquamarine, whatever. However, to get a fair insurance appraisal, it's best to take gems to an independent appraiser who has no vested interest in giving you either an inflated or low evaluation. PS has a list of them by state under the resources menu at the top of the page. Looking at another post, I see you are in Florida. Richard Sherwood, in Sarasota, is very highly regarded.

Would love to see photos, some people here (not me) are quite good at ID'ing gems by sight.

PS-Where does your quote come from? My Spanish is rusty, but I like the sentiment. Mi esposo vive en Miami cuando era un niño...él nació en Cuba.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
With colored stones it is of the utmost importance to NOT bring it to a random jewelry store for a real appraisal! If you are serious about having it appraised, you should bring it to an appraiser who specializes/has expertise with colored stones. Otherwise you'll get an appraisal that says "dark blue stone, this weight, this measurements", ya know what I mean?

I had my sapphire appraised by Richard Wise, and while he does sell stones, he's an expert, so I felt ok doing it. Can take awhile though because he's busy and appraisals are not really his business...only worth doing if you think you have something valuable or it is convenient (as it was for me because my parents live in the town next to his).

I personally would probably call Richard Sherwood (he's a recommended PS appraiser) because he is supposed to be really good with colored stones...

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 4:22:10 PM
Author: Selkie
For just a preliminary ID of the stone, you could take it to a jewelry store. They should at least be able to tell you if it''s a sapphire, topaz, aquamarine, whatever. However, to get a fair insurance appraisal, it''s best to take gems to an independent appraiser who has no vested interest in giving you either an inflated or low evaluation. PS has a list of them by state under the resources menu at the top of the page. Looking at another post, I see you are in Florida. Richard Sherwood, in Sarasota, is very highly regarded.

Would love to see photos, some people here (not me) are quite good at ID''ing gems by sight.

PS-Where does your quote come from? My Spanish is rusty, but I like the sentiment. Mi esposo vive en Miami cuando era un niño...él nació en Cuba.
Hi Selkie and neat! I appreciate the name. I will def. look him up. My mom thinks I''m crazy for even going through the effort but the way I see it is it can''t hurt. It really is a pretty stone.

The quote is from a song by Juan Luis Guerra "abeja al panal". If you haven''t heard the song, it''s about a man proposing to a woman. This particular quote is the woman saying that what will people think of her marrying out of passion but she''s going to say yes
30.gif
I''m also in Miami!! Or as I like to call it Cuba Jr. My family is from the DR and Puerto Rico but I consider myself an honorary Cuban after living in Miami for 8 years
3.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock

Here is a picture of the stone. Sorry for the crappy photo...ask an 18 year old for a favor during his summer break before college and this is what you get

20.gif
LOL

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I''m still going to contact Richard and regardless of what he says I will still have it set in a ring, but your thoughts would be appreciated.

Picture 00312.jpg

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
FieryRed:
Neat Story.
I am willing to "GUESS" that it''s an aquamarine, because of its large size and color.
Remember, I have been wrong before. To be certain if its natural and what it is, find a gemologist with some testing instruments.

Joker....

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, hard to say - it could be an aqua or a pale sapphire or even a spinel...

Do you have some more close up pics?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results