shape
carat
color
clarity

where would i find a setting kinda like this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
except not like this at all :)

im looking for a setting which is like a simple six prong one but with two or so tiny little diamonds on each side. not like a three stone and not like the kind with diamonds all around either.

all i seem to find is either just very very plain settings or way too many side diamonds and engraving, id like kind of in between.

have you seen anything similar anywhere? its for my perfect little .74 RB that is coming in the mail on Monday, i''m so excited :):)

ringadf.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s another one from Pearlmans. I can''t think of a six prong with side stones that is a stock setting anywhere. would you be interested in having something custom made?

085CO13.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's Aljdewey's rings that Whiteflash made that has 6 prongs holding the center.

500x358.aspx

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
no, i dont think i want anything custom made, my budget is not very high.

i think from looking at more pictures of rings online what i meant was two little diamonds even smaller than that, almost like the pave ones maybe. except when they have the pave it usually goes all the way or halfway around. maybe i wil ljust have to stick with a plain solitaire six prong setting.

thanks for those pictures mrssalvo :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like the first one you posted and think it would look great with the size of stone you''re getting.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
yeah, i like it too except six prongs look nicer i think all around the diamond..
plus im afraid of just four prongs to have it fall out

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Something like this?

ETA: or how about gypsy set melee? I will try to find ready setting for you

ThreeTinyD.jpg

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 12:12:49 PM
Author: Pricescope
Something like this?

ETA: or how about gypsy set melee? I will try to find ready setting for you
Very nice....do you know the source?????

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately it''s two settings combined by photoshop just to figure out what the idea.

Here is another tie of setting for those 3 melee - shared prong, made from Al''s pretty photo.

I made simulations to get the idea from froufrou of what to look for...

AlWillKillMe.jpg

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Thanks!!! I almost asked it it was your "creation!" I like the combination of that head with the melee.....very nice!
1.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, i don''t think it''s hard or expensive to achieve, almost sure it''s not.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
are the little diamonds on this one prong set?

073CO18.jpg

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
That''s easy for you to say.....now if we could "round" the edges of the shank......that would be even better!!

Sorry...didn''t mean to hijack the thread.....
2.gif

Back to the question at hand.......

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 11:09:31 AM
Author:froufrou
except not like this at all :)

im looking for a setting which is like a simple six prong one but with two or so tiny little diamonds on each side. not like a three stone and not like the kind with diamonds all around either.

all i seem to find is either just very very plain settings or way too many side diamonds and engraving, id like kind of in between.

have you seen anything similar anywhere? its for my perfect little .74 RB that is coming in the mail on Monday, i''m so excited :):)

Frou Frou, I think a lot of times a setting can be modified re: a six prong head...
Have you had a chance to go into a store and try things on???? Some local stores have very nice settings. You really need to try them on and see how they look in person......You don''t have to buy them there, but just get some ideas.....I do think you can find a six prong, though.....

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
that isn''t quite what i was thinking of but your photoshop skills are amazing and those are pretty rings :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Frou... I thought you guys already bought a setting???

And 4 prongs are perfectly safe.

And that Michael B lace ring you posted from Pearlman''s? Yeah, it''s 3000 dollars. Try solomonbrothers.com

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 12:52:57 PM
Author: Gypsy
Frou... I thought you guys already bought a setting???

And 4 prongs are perfectly safe.

And that Michael B lace ring you posted from Pearlman's? Yeah, it's 3000 dollars. Try solomonbrothers.com

nope, he's got one in closeout
here for $2250 and an ebay listing here for the same ring where you can make your best offer
31.gif

i agree, 4 prongs are very safe. just make sure the rings insured, which you should do anyway.

oh and frou, the stones are beadset in the ring.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
hi carlotta: hijak all you want :)
actually ive gone to three jewerly stores in my town and none of them actually have any kind of selection of things to try on. i hit the locally owned ones though, not the mall ones yet, i bet the mall ones have more things. the locally owned ones all just took out catalogues and told me they could order stuff, and did not have a very big selection of settings to look at at all.

i ended up buying a plain solitaire setting at one of them because i got so tired of looking from store to store , but now ive been wearing it on my finger (no diamond in it yet) and thinking the band reminds me of one of those metal keychain band things adn made me think i wanted something a little bit more interesting... its very geometric looking. although when they showed it to me with a diamond placed into it it looked pretty nice, so maybe when my diamond comes and i look at both together i will enjoy it a lot more. ive also noticed that it has a small "ding" on the shank. i guess it can be polished out? its white gold though so i dont know about polishing white gold, ive only heard of polishing platinum.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
yeah, we did already buy a setting. im really mad at that jeweler though cause the settings got a ding in it but im also never going to that store again and apparently my boyfriend says he didnt give us a receipt for it either anyway, nor is he ever going back to that store.

i also am mad at the jeweler cause when we bought it he kept insisting it was identical to the Tiffany''s setting, even giving me some BS about how the angles of the prongs are exactly matching blah blah, and i was thinking i didnt really think it looked like the tifanys exactly but i didnt really care if it did or not but actually i didnt remember it looking like that at tiffanys, and then yesterday i went on the tiffanys website and it looks nothing like the tiffanys ring except for the obvious, it is also a knife edge and also has six prongs, but the two are completely different aside from that (like the prongs are different and the shank has a different shape). so now i am raging mad at this jeweler and i am absolutely sure he was trying to cheat me with the diamond.

so considering how raging mad i was i thought maybe i should just get a different setting altogether and never think about this one again :D

yeah i know pearlman''s is $$$$, i was only wondering what way those little diamonds were set cause i dont understand all that pave vs melee vs prong vs chanel vs everything else.

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Who is going to set the ring????????

Sometimes the big mall stores bring in a bunch of settings all at once...it can be fun to look, to get ideas.....

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
aha, beatset. thanks mrssalvo :)

lol, that Pearlman''s clearence ring is even my size..6 1/4 :razz: if i only i could buy it from them for $500
31.gif

haha, so i actually saw this ring about 4 months ago on the website. what is funny is it says "A brand new Michael B petite lace ring ready to set with a 3/4ct center, size 6 1/4 in platinum. The ring is set with .46ct of diamonds. The guy told me she found out it was a fake center stone, not a diamond and broke it off. Thought she would not know the difference. It is ready to mount your diamond as the center stone. "

now, if you were a guy and wanted to cheap out on a ring for your girlfriend, why not buy a CHEAPER setting???

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
i think i will have one of the local jewerly stores set it, they said they would do it for $40-$70. i figured i would definately get insurance for it first before i did it and insurance would cover if they broke it while setting or something.

the one jeweler was the one who told me to never get 4 prong because there is a high danger of your diamond falling out...he even said if he sets my diamond in a six prong he can give me a warranty that it will never fall out, while if he sets in a four prong he wouldnt. give me that warrantuy. haha i should just assume EVERYTHING he told me was a big lie.

but i just think six prongs look the nicest on rounds, whereas four prongs look nicest on the square and asshher and cushion cuts.

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Here is one w/6 prongs...look like any head could be used........

sixphead.jpg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
You might want to check out antiqueengagementrings.com. They have some vintagey-looking settings with just a few small side diamonds.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
froufrou any chance to get pictures of your existing ring posted?
Another possibility to make it more interesting is to have melee (small diamonds) wedding band to go with knife edge e-ring if it''s prongs will not be on the way.
That''s why it would be helpful to see the ring you have.

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 1:32:10 PM
Author: lizz
You might want to check out antiqueengagementrings.com. They have some vintagey-looking settings with just a few small side diamonds.
I agree.....some of the engraved rings, perhaps with a few small stones, add INTEREST without being overly expensive.....

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 1:32:55 PM
Author: Pricescope
froufrou any chance to get pictures of your existing ring posted?
Another possibility to make it more interesting is to have melee (small diamonds) wedding band to go with knife edge e-ring if it''s prongs will not be on the way.
That''s why it would be helpful to see the ring you have.
yes good idea :) i was considering just having a wedding band with small diamonds for it. ive always imagined a wedding ring as being a plain band though so im not sure. maybe i can get a wedding band and an eternity ring later on that i can wear with my ring and wear a plain one when i dont wear my e-ring.

here is pretty much identical to what my ring is, this is a stock pic from bluenile. mine''s from stuller (i think).

i trhink it is made to fit snug with another ring next to it, so the small diamonds would work?
im also concerned about the little nick on it, i wonder if it can be polished out, i hope so.

the ring cost me $200 and its 14K white gold...so if i just forgot about it and got something else it wouldn''t really be too big a deal either, as long as whatever i bought was around 400-500 or so..

its not a bad ring at all, i guess i am just being moody about that stupid jeweler :razz:

i''ll look on antiquemall too..

SH52400100_prof.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 1:15:26 PM
Author: froufrou
i think i will have one of the local jewerly stores set it, they said they would do it for $40-$70. i figured i would definately get insurance for it first before i did it and insurance would cover if they broke it while setting or something.

the one jeweler was the one who told me to never get 4 prong because there is a high danger of your diamond falling out...he even said if he sets my diamond in a six prong he can give me a warranty that it will never fall out, while if he sets in a four prong he wouldnt. give me that warrantuy. haha i should just assume EVERYTHING he told me was a big lie.

but i just think six prongs look the nicest on rounds, whereas four prongs look nicest on the square and asshher and cushion cuts.

Yeah. You REALLY have to stop buying the bull*(&% these people are selling. You have people on here with FIVE CARAT diamonds in 4 prong settings. There''s a reason for that... they are perfectly safe. I think the first setting you posted is lovely. Delicate and unique... perfect. Ask Bill for his best price on it. And for 40-70 bucks... send your diamond to him to mount in it... that way he will insure it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 4:27:29 PM
Author: Gypsy
Date: 5/20/2006 1:15:26 PM

Author: froufrou

Yeah. You REALLY have to stop buying the bull*(&% these people are selling. You have people on here with FIVE CARAT diamonds in 4 prong settings. There''s a reason for that... they are perfectly safe. I think the first setting you posted is lovely. Delicate and unique... perfect. Ask Bill for his best price on it. And for 40-70 bucks... send your diamond to him to mount in it... that way he will insure it.

I agree with Gypsy. If you like every thing else about the setting and the 4 vs. 6 prong thing is all that''s wrong i seriously wouldn''t worry about it. Many, many gals have their stones set in 4 prongs. Definitely ask Bill about it and see if he''ll negotiate a bit on the price. You can send your stone to him, he''ll set it and you''ll have nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results