shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to Travel to Next??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
All of this talk about babies -- when to start, when to stop -- there seems to be a lot of advice to travel pre-kids. while i''m not getting any younger, children are not in our immediate future, however, i think a trip ought to be
9.gif

Places we''ve been. Some together, some seperately.

Me: Him:
Ireland Hawaii
Australia Alaska
New Zealand Costa Rica
Italy France
Costa Rica England
Caribbean Caribbean

He''s traveled mostly as a kid, while my first real trip was at age 20. On all of our trips, we enjoy taking the road less traveled. Opting for a bit more of an adventure over pehaps culture. For an example, when i visited italy at first i thought about going to florence and venice, but ultimately decided to visit cinque terra and climb a volcano off the coast of naples
3.gif
but as i''m typing this, i''m feeling like perhaps paris? or maybe denmark? iceland? chile? there are soooo many places. costa rica was a great destination because our airfare was so affordable...

Does anyone have any suggestions of a place they went and absolutely loved?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go to the places you''d least likely visit IF you had kids.
9.gif

I notice you haven''t yet visited Asia. I HIGHLY recommend Thailand. If you like off-the-beaten-path, there''s plenty of that there. The terrain/geography is stunning, the food is among the best in the world, beautiful beaches, and the Thai people are famous for their graciousness and many can speak some English. If you like rock-climbing, you must go to Krabi which is world-renowned for its sheer cliffs. There are tons of gorgeous and sparsely populated islands to explore. You''d also have the choice of the more traveled places like Koh Samui (heavenly and so gorgeous) and Ko Phi Phi, which have beautiful resorts.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
great recommendation kristydarling! we''re both interested in traveling to thailand. DH rock climbs and i have in the past and i''m certainly a water baby...are plane tickets extremely expensive?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have to say ... Paris has never let me down!! Even when I ponder going somewhere new ... there''s a part of me that wishes EVERY trip was a trip to Paris. I think it''s the architecture/shopping/sheer gorgeousness of the streets & shops & deliciouness of the foods & the romance & the bridges & the Eiffel Tower and and and ...

The Greek Islands is next on my own wanna go list. Fiji - but that pesky coup! You''ve already been to my other fave place ... the Cinque Terra!!!

I vote PARIS!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I enjoy traveling and our latest trip was to Japan and China. Loved the people, the culture, and the history! You can make your adventure as tame or exciting as you wish. We also loved Bora Bora and the other islands of French Polynesia if you would like a more tropical location.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Well, you''ve been to a few of my all time favs...Ireland and Australia.

But I loved loved loved Croatia!!!!

It''s still a bit off the beaten path for American Tourists (although it has boomed in the last 3 years or so). It''s no secret for Europeans. There''s wine tasting to be had, ruins to be seen (which are just part of the landscape and not something you stand in line to pay and see).

Pictures say more than 1000 words right? Here are a few I took on my travels there....

An aerial view of the gorgeous town of Dubrovnik (I had to hike to a very high cross on a mountain to get this shot...)

aerial.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
View of the fort in Dubrovnik...

fort.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
View from the fort...

seaandwall.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
View of a street in Dubrovnik...

oldtownstreet.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
There''s also this island known as Hvar in Croatia. This is Hvar Town...

Hvartown2.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also think Slovenia is fun and off the beaten track. You could go to Llubljana, which is a vibrant university town with a river that runs through it..

bridgeslovenia.JPG

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
How about South America? I see Costa Rica on your list, but what about Brazil or Argentina?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
And then visit Lake Bled...where you can see the little church in the middle of the lake. Lots of hiking to be done there.

churchandtrees.JPG

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I loved Greece! Athens is magical and the islands are a non-stop party.

We also traveled recently to Prague and Austria. Beautiful trip, despite the non-stop rain.

We are going to South Africa on our honeymoon. We''ve been told there is no other place like it. Can''t wait!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous pictures, TravelingGal!

My husband and just went on our honeymoon to Europe (London and Paris) less than a month ago. It was our first time there. I absolutely loved Paris. I agree with Deco that the building and streets in Paris are beautiful. Everything was so pretty. Spending NYE in Paris was great.

I think our next trip will be to China - Beijing, Xian, Hangzhou, Wuxi, Suzhou, Shanghai, and Hong Kong. Can''t wait! It''ll be our first time visiting China.

I''m always keeping my eyes open for another place to travel after this trip! We''re trying to travel as much as we can before having a baby.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with Deco, you can''t go wrong with Paris. It''s just so beautiful and romantic.

I''d also suggest Istanbul. Truly a fantastic city with gorgeous scenery, delicious food and lovely people.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Barcelona was one of my all time favourite trips-it is the most beautiful city and there is so much to do there. Another fave of mine is Berlin. I didnt think I would like Berlin much but I had a ball. Out of all the european countries, Germany is by far one of the cheapest. The food is amazing and its such a great city.
..or just come visit me in Ireland! I''d put it off for a bit though-the weather over here is horrible at the moment!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
OK, I''m really biased...

Come to Morocco! You can both get really touristy (Marrakesh), live it up in reasonably prices, GORGEOUS, fancy riads (Fes), and get as far off the beaten track as your heart desires--Toubkal, the Middle Atlas, desert treks with camels in the Sahara. There''s a whole Morocco where very few tourists ever go.

Morocco has huge coastlines, three or four mountain ranges, waterfalls, lakes, etc. It''s also very reasonably priced. Their souvenirs and handicrafts are still made by hand IN MOROCCO, not China!

If you are someone who has to have top notch museums and art, and can''t enjoy street food--DON''T COME.

If you can''t take dressing modestly (no bare arms or legs) don''t come.

If you will get ruffled by hustlers and the sexual harrassment if you take a walk without hubby, don''t come. Seriously. Some days I want to either scratch the face of the collective Moroccan masculinity or hide in my room. And I chose to be here.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
foothills of the Atlas

DSC_0787_web.jpg

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
tanneries in fes, one of the world's oldest living medieval cities.

DSC_0849_web.jpg

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
trekking in the sahara

dunes1.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh, awesome photos rainbowtrout! I have always wanted to visit Morocco!!!

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
Go to China!! Shanghai was gorgeous...

CIMG2130edited.JPG

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
So was the Yangtze River Valley...

CIMG1751edited.JPG

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock

thanks for all the pictures, they are amazing! wow. Dubrovnik is my mom's favorite city! it's definately on the "list" as is turkey, morocco, chile, thailand, and so many other places

after doing a bit of research, i (and consequently DH as i relay all the amazing info via phone as he's off in colorado) am absolutely transfixed by iceland. blue lagoons, lava fields, fjords, glaciers, really nice people. the natural beauty of this country is utterly beautiful -- see above stock photos. however, it's also one of the most, if not the most expensive european countries. since we'll want to take in everything iceland has to offer, i'm thinking it'll be a better destination in a year when i will be making the "big" bucks so to speak (here's to hoping big bucks come with a bit of vacation time
6.gif
)

so while iceland is still at the very top of our list, paris it is.

i found some decent deals if we go during the shoulder time of early march. cheaper tickets and hotels. hurray.

anyone have any must sees/dos/eats etc.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/18/2007 6:16:22 AM
Author: rainbowtrout
If you will get ruffled by hustlers and the sexual harrassment if you take a walk without hubby, don''t come. Seriously. Some days I want to either scratch the face of the collective Moroccan masculinity or hide in my room. And I chose to be here.
HI:

I also loved Tangier (ohhh, the El Minza Hotel), but did find the "hustle/harassment" a bit overwhelming at times......

Would love to return to Spain and especially to Greece, having spent some little time there many years ago (month in each). That said, I was unable to accompany my DH last itme when he was in Paris, so that is also on the top of my list. We love Europe, and would like my son to see it. Maybe check out Dubrovnic in passing???

cheers--Sharon

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we have never been but our friends are going to honeymoon in greece this year, the pictures look BREATHTAKING. i sooo want to go.

also we honeymooned in tahiti and it was a truly wonderful experience. we love hawaii then tahiti...2-3 weeks...absolute bliss.

we haven''t done much traveling sohonestly we would love to visit a ton of diff places. but nice weather and beaches are high on our lists!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My boyfriend and I loved Quebec City and Ireland. Those are the places we've traveled outside the States. I loved visiting Prague, Russia, Sweden, England, and Wales when I was in high school and college.

ETA: We'd love to go to Portugal, Hawaii, Italy, and Spain someday. Has anyone honeymooned in Portugal by any chance?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loved Italy!!! So romantic. We were there for 2 1/2 weeks. Loved Lake Como, Florence, Venice, Roma, Sorrento, and Capri!!!!!!

I also love London and Paris.

Let us know where you go next.
face23.gif

Oh, Hawaii is great. We have been there every year for the past 4 years. I love Kauai the best!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about Norway? My mom''s home country is there and she and her two sisters visited a few years ago and absolutely loved it. Fjords, baby, fjords...

I honestly don''t see myself ever going there (I''m a warm weather fan for travel), but if someone ever handed me tickets I wouldn''t turn them down!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results