shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to source *cushion* melee?

lokelani

Rough_Rock
I'm going to hopefully be working with an Etsy vendor to make a custom bezel eternity band with cushion cuts, inspired by this LM piece:

http://www.micropave.com/index.php/bands/bezel-set-antique-cushions.html

except, the vendor doesn't know where to find cushions around that size (7 or 8 points, or smaller) and is recommending I use rounds instead. I don't wanna! :((

Anyone have any ideas? Or am I SOL on this one?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I honestly have no idea where you'd source cushion melee. I think cushions start to lose their shape when you starting getting that small and you'd probably not be able to tell the difference between cushions and rounds in a 7 point or smaller stone. Even the cushions in the LM ring you linked sorta look like rounds to me :wacko: Anyway, hopefully someone who knows the answer will chime in.

lokelani

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input! Hmm, you do bring up a great point. I guess now that I try to look at the picture without already knowing what they are, I can see how it would be easy to mistake the shape for something else.

So about how big would they need to be then to be a little easier to find do you think? I checked again and that ring's tcw is 2.19 with 25 stones, so those are actually closer to 9 points. Hmm... what if GOG would create a collection of miniature AVCs for me? :bigsmile: A girl can dream...

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
You could buy a bunch of antique pieces off of ebay ( brooches, old cocktail rings etc.) and recycle the stones, if you're realy dedicated to bezeled cushions.
If you just want bolder flashes than modern brilliant melee, what about an eternity band of single cut diamonds? They may be easier to source in different melee sizes.

Good luck!

lokelani

Rough_Rock
Ooh, that's a good idea... I tried searching eBay for a cushion lot without any luck, but maybe I could find estate pieces with similarly-sized small cushions. Single cuts are a great idea too! Or what about rose cut? Think I could find a source for like 7 point-ish roses?

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Yea, from LM's picture, I couldn't tell they were cushions either but the angle likely made it more difficult.

Personally, I would single cuts and old cuts, over rose cuts.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Collecting matched old stones yourself stone-by-stone would be a nightmare! The only way to have this ring made is to have Leon make it and source the stones. That ring is absolutely gorgeous, and I don't think you'll get the equivalent having anyone else make it (unless Steven Kirsch can access antique stones like those).

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
I would do what lokelani suggested and try to find a ring on eBay with old mine cut diamonds that you could take the stones out of. Old mine cut diamonds are similar in shape to cushions. Here's a ring I found: http://cgi.ebay.com/ART-DECO-90ct-M...0?pt=Vintage_Fine_Jewelry&hash=item2305c89470

Ultimately though, if you're set on cushion diamonds, you would probably need to have them custom cut-but that would probably cost a lot... You might be better off buying the piece from Leon as diamondseeker suggested.

NE Jewels

Rough_Rock
Trade
Maybe what the original poster meant was single cut round? You could probably find a vendor eventually that could source those for you but they're much more rare than regular mele.

lokelani

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for the input, I really appreciate it.

@ xiriah, nice find! Thank you for that! I think you're onto something here... the ones in that ring look pretty round, but OMCs would be perfect and I think if I just take a collection of them from a piece like that, it would be just what I need. Geez, the more I look at that ring, the more I love it. I almost would hate to hack it up and steal the stones!

@iota, Oh wow! Those look amazing!! Thanks for passing that along! I'm not seeing a price there though, am I missing it? I might just contact them about that one.

I think this is probably what I'm going to have to do, recycle some tiny old cuts from an old piece or two. The LM band is listed at $7,500 on his micropave site, and as amazing as that would be, I just don't think that's something I'm going to be able to convince FI to go for. :cry: But, I think doing sort of a DIY version for less would end up being more meaningful to me anyway. Ah, the thrill of the chase... :naughty:

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Xiriah|1301936050|2887484 said:
I would do what lokelani suggested and try to find a ring on eBay with old mine cut diamonds that you could take the stones out of. Old mine cut diamonds are similar in shape to cushions. Here's a ring I found: http://cgi.ebay.com/ART-DECO-90ct-M...0?pt=Vintage_Fine_Jewelry&hash=item2305c89470

Ultimately though, if you're set on cushion diamonds, you would probably need to have them custom cut-but that would probably cost a lot... You might be better off buying the piece from Leon as diamondseeker suggested.

Oops! I just realized that I said the OP's name instead of HopeDream who originally recommended finding vintage pieces off eBay. Sorry!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results