shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to shop?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dabossajk

Rough_Rock
Hi Folks,

I''m searching for an engagement ring and I thought I''d ask you pros. My budget is 6-8.5k for the diamond. The girlfriend likes the look of the princess cut (I thought that the Flanders or Elara was more interesting). Where should I buy to get the best diamond for the money? What''s the largest size stone that will fit my budget?

Thanks,

Aaron

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Old Gold has a GREAT selection of different square diamonds on their website. I suggest that you check their offerings and read their tutorials. They're really great.

ETA: BUT BUT BUT. That being said, it's for HER not you. So please, if the lady has her heart set on a princess, don't get something else because YOU like it more.

Dabossajk

Rough_Rock
That is true - she''s the one who has to wear the thing. Is a square radiant similar to a princess cut?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
square rads have a different facet pattern, (generally the AGS princesses exhibit much better symmetry) as well as exhibit clipped corners.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2007 10:21:10 PM
Author: Dabossajk
That is true - she''s the one who has to wear the thing. Is a square radiant similar to a princess cut?

Kind of, but not really. More similar would be Whiteflash''s X-Factor. They are GORGEOUS and are superbly cut princesses with no corners. I strongly prefer them over princesses.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um. I LOVE flanders... I''d personally much prefer one over a princess. But that''s me.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2007 10:27:55 PM
Author: Gypsy
Um. I LOVE flanders... I''d personally much prefer one over a princess. But that''s me.

Me too...but girls who love princesses often want nothing but.

I would try and show her a bunch of pics of different square stones and see what she says. She might only know that princesses are square and she likes square stones...

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Aaron,

You are lucky man, Pricescope people are the best at helping out. I wish I would have had PS many years ago.

Any trusted Pricescope Vendor will do a great job!!! Just read and ask questions!!!

MWG

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
If she''s set on a princess, I would definitely check out Whiteflash.com''s selection of "A Cut Above" princess cut diamonds as well as their "X Factor" princess cuts with cut corners. Also check out their Expert Selection princesses. You should definitely be able to get a really great stone in your price range.

As far as a square radiant, it''s definitely a different look than a princess. Radiants have cut corners and the facet pattern is very different from a princess. I personally prefer radiants (I have one!) but I think you should definitely get her what she wants!

However, I think showing her pictures of all different square diamond shapes is a great idea. Other square shapes just aren''t as well-known as princess cuts, so she may end up wanting something different once she sees what''s out there.

Dabossajk

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up ordering a 1.21 carat princess cut (H,VS1) from DiamondSource of Va. Now I''m looking for a band with sidestones (I like the look of the tapered baguette). I like (and I think that she would like) a thinner band w/o too much depth / metal structure below the baguette...Recommendations?

Thanks,

Aaron

Dabossajk

Rough_Rock
Thoughts on this setting? I like the thin ''petite'' look to it...

Antique

Replica Art Deco Mounting for a Square Stone
Platinum mounting contains 8 bead set diamonds, .10 carats total, G color and VS clarity. A delicate detailed design flows down the sides, shoulders, and horizontal bars on the center setting box. Accomodates a square princess from 5.2 to 5.9 mm diameter (approximately .90 carats to 1.40 carats).
$725.00

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
...I couldn''t open the link for the setting...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''re link didn''t work....I''d do a search here on antiqueengagmentrings.com too. there are a least a couple of people who just were not happy with the quality of the repro settings they sell..

a bunch of folks have been recommending www.knoxjewelers.biz lately for settings. I''ve never done business with them but their prices really seem amazing and you might find something in your pricerange..

here''s one that would be gorgeous..

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=203&rn=493&action=show_detail

Dabossajk

Rough_Rock
Sorry Folks,

Let me try that link again:

Antique

I do like that setting mrssalvo - and knox college is where she went to school, so the name would be fitting..

Dabossajk

Rough_Rock
Hi Folks,

The saga continues....Bought a H VS1 1.21 carat diamond from Diamond Source VA on 6/27. The independent appraiser and custom jeweler that I took the diamond to both graded it as an I/J color. So, I''m sending it back (thanks Diamond Source!) minus a 10% restocking fee. (sigh)

I''m considering going with an F VS2 1.28 carat stone from Abazais. I haven''t gotten a copy of the cert yet, but I''m anxiously waiting for it via email

1.28 F VS2 66.8% 74% GIA stk-tk no vg ex no 6.23x6.15x4.11 $5121 $6555*S P

Comments on the stone and/or on the vendor?

Thanks,

Aaron

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Aaron, too bad about the H VS1 and the restocking fee. If you don''t mind, which lab graded it as H/VS1? Did the appraiser agree with VS1?

Dabossajk

Rough_Rock
It is a GIA grade - the appraiser gave it an I/J but said it was closer to a J (which I concur with after comparing it to stones @ retail stores). The appraiser said that this was the first stone in literally 100s that hadn''t measured up to the GIA report.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results