shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to go...who to trust.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rocky44

Rough_Rock
I have started looking for engagement rings for about a week now and I am so confused on who to
nono.gif
confused.gif
trust. I read the Fred Cueller book which offered some good advice but also left me paranoid about buying the diamond with the best proportions. His service has provided me with a gemologist who has already offered to get me on a waiting list to have my diamond cut. They call it a min list meaning that they gurantee a minimum clarity and color grade but usually, I am told, produce a higher clarity and color but with the same initial price. Also they have informed me the stone will be bonded. Is this really necessary when insurance might cover more? Has anyone heard of the min list? Lastly does anyone know of an honest, reputable jeweler in northern VA. I feel like I should just bite the bullet and get a Tiffany and CO ring. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
wow. i am so glad that you found this site. Fred has a reputation, and his book does too. i suggest that you perform a search on his name...and i also suggest that you read the tutorials that are available on this site. There is a lot in fred's book that needs to be taken with a grain of salt in my opinion...and some of it is just hogwash. welcome to the forum, and i would suggest that if you are looking for a reputable dealer, there are plenty out there, and you don't have to be put on any "list."

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Fred is a convicted felon who's business practices are questionable and not very well received by diamond discussion groups like PS. Check out the following link:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fred-cuellar.6476/

Just don't buy a "warped" diamond okay
1.gif
?

rocky44

Rough_Rock
thanks for the info on fred.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow that is a new one...a list to get your own diamond cut? We haven't heard that one before!! This guy has marketing tactics like no one else...

Definitely take Fred and his site and book with a huge grain of salt. I read the book too and there IS valuable info in it. But his business practices are shady to say the least...and talk about used car salesman tactics. Don't buy a 'warped' diamond and that 'bonded' stuff is total BS.

Read up on Pricescope and educate yourself on stones, then you will know what to look at and what you really want. Also start visiting random stores in your area, reputable or not, to get an idea of what is out there, and what you like to see (in a stone AND vendor). Shop around, price out the different competition.

Probably the best advice I can give you is to not get emotionally carried away and plunk down the money on an impulse purchase. There are MANY diamonds out there and diamonds do not move very quickly, take the time to be sure that you choose the right one. When you are searching, it's so easy to get carried away. If you find something you like, put it on hold and do the research on it. Whatever you buy, get it independently appraised to be sure it's what you were sold.

Good luck
1.gif
Watch your wallet around Freddy!
rolleyes.gif

magna2

Shiny_Rock
While Fred Cueller's book provides some good information for a novice, it contains mostly bunk. It is not atypical to be confused and paranoid after reading the book if you take it as gospel. And the funny thing is that only Fred Cueller will be able to get you the diamonds that he has described as meeting his definitions of what, at a minimum, a diamond cut should be.

But I've got to give him credit in coming up with new angles in selling diamonds - waiting list for having the diamond cut!!! LOL!!!

rodent.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/16/2003 8:14:17 AM magna2 wrote:

But I've got to give him credit in coming up with new angles in selling diamonds - waiting list for having the diamond cut!!! LOL!!!

rodent.gif
----------------

I was thinking the exact same thing. Good Gosh, what a carnival barker.

Anyway, DirtCheapdiamonds.com is located in the Metro D.C. area. You are able to see diamonds with an appointment.

Good luck.

AudiOn19s

Rough_Rock
Rocky 44: I just finalized my purchase yesterday on a Diamond and I must say I feel very good about my purchase decision, after learning what I have learned from Pricescope I feel as though I made an educated decision to get the best stone for my budget. I admit that I didn't do it alone...many here on the board helped to guide me when I was confused.

There are SEVERAL vendors here that will go to all lengths to make you happy as a consumer. I Ended up getting my stone from Barry at SuperbCert, but Jim from Dirt Cheap Diamonds was a great guy to deal with as well. Also Bob at Whiteflash and Good Old Gold are all great people and places to deal with...at least from my experience. I'd highly recommend any of them....and I believe that all of them have a very good reputation here on the board.

Andy

Arlington

Shiny_Rock
Rocky - I live in Arlington and checked out a few of the "known" DC-area and national jewelers. I can tell you that you will definitely get better diamonds at a lower price by comparison shopping online. It sounds like you are in the market for an extremely well-cut diamond. I suggest visiting some of the local and national establishments and see what you will have to pay for a stone (don't let them hard sell you). Check out Tiffany too, if you'd like. Then compare them to some of the superideal cuts that are sold online -- check out superbcert, niceice, whiteflash, and the stones Jonathan sells on goodoldgold.com. These stones will probably blow away the jeweler's stones and I guarantee they will be cheaper. Not only that, but these vendors will take the time to honestly discuss all aspects of the stone's pros and cons, optical performance, color and cut grades, and anything else with you.

If you are worried about buying online, I believe most vendors will ship the stone to an independent appraiser prior to purchase. Martin Fuller in Tyson's Corner has an excellent reputation on this board and you could go check out the stone for yourself, in person, prior to purchase.

I bought an A CUT ABOVE superideal stone last month from Whiteflash, and couldn't be happier with my purchase..

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Rocky!
wavey.gif

The Price Scope Vendors are reputable. Compare policies for returns, buy backs, and life-time upgrades. Search past Forum threads on Vendors and read feedback. Forum posters are very good about sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly of their diamond buying experiences. Also, take a look at picks on the "Show Me the Ring" section of the PS Forum. You will see pics of some great diamonds there.

Look in your local phone book and find Diamond Brokers in your area. Take some time to go and look at different color and clarity ratings, and compare levels of performance among cut ranges. Don't be afraid to jot down any numbers they have available to come back and plug into the HCA. Compare the asking prices to similar diamonds currently available from the Forum Vendors.

When I started shopping, I was dead set that I wanted F, VVS/VS. Then I found PS, learned about CUT. I also used White Flash. I too liked their life-time upgrade policy and the folks there are great to deal with. I previewed both H and J color ACA's. Both were so amazingly white and sparkly mock set against white gold and platinum that it was really hard to choose which to buy. CUT does make the difference.

Keep CUT as your Number 1 priority and work from there.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results