shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to go to download music?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I got my soon to be 10 year old son an MP3 player for his birthday next week. There are several songs that he would like to have that I thought I''d add to the player as a surprise. It''s not an IPOD but a ZEN. Small and cheap in case he looses it. I''m not sure where to go to download the music. I only need maybe 5 songs so one of the "month" memberships won''t do much good.

Ideas?

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
Limewire

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
There has been another thread on this if i recall but we use allofmp3.com which is a russian pay site but songs are about. 20 cents each.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
www.gomusic.ru

Songs run $.15 per song; full albums runs less than $2.00 typically.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much. These will work perfectly.

I had no idea downloaded music could be so cheap. Will these sites work with my IPOD too?

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 1:45:28 PM
Author: IslandDreams
Thanks so much. These will work perfectly.

I had no idea downloaded music could be so cheap. Will these sites work with my IPOD too?
Yes you just save it to that format.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 10:07:32 PM
Author: Maria D

Date: 3/1/2007 10:42:23 AM
Author: aljdewey
www.gomusic.ru

Songs run $.15 per song; full albums runs less than $2.00 typically.
aljdewey, do you not find these Russian music selling websites unethical? I think it's piracy and would rather buy from ethical sources.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/02/14/business/EU-TEC-Russia-Downloading-Music.php
Maria, I had not been aware of that article, so NO, at the time I shared the information, I did not find it unethical. I actually learned of that website from others here on Pricescope about six weeks ago.

Curiously enough, though, why haven't you also called to task the person who suggested allofmp3, since they too appear to be mentioned in the article????
38.gif

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Curiously enough, though, why haven't you also called to task the person who suggested allofmp3, since they too appear to be mentioned in the article????
29.gif
Because I already called the allofmp3 users to task on the 'other thread' that was mentioned
3.gif
. They obviously don't care.

ETA:
Here's the thread
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ipod-downloads-besides-itunes.55677/

ETA2: When I quoted alj, I swear the emoticon was the red fire breathing 'smilie', not the blue tsk tsker! too funny...

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 10:32:41 PM

Curiously enough, though, why haven''t you also called to task the person who suggested allofmp3, since they too appear to be mentioned in the article????
29.gif
Because I already called the allofmp3 users to task on the ''other thread'' that was mentioned
3.gif
. They obviously don''t care.
I see. Frankly, I didn''t see the other thread, so this is the first I''m hearing of it.

Honestly, whether or not I agree with your position, I find it quite rude of you to think it''s okay to call anyone else to task, period.

I don''t recall any of the PS posters signing up to be hassled by a self-appointed moral hall monitor.....especially one who hasn''t even bothered to ask if people are even aware the sites may be suspect.
38.gif

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LOL, first you are upset that I ''called you to task'' and not anyone else -- and now you''re upset that I called anyone to task in the first place. If you read the first thread you will notice that some did have suspicions about those sites without any ''hall monitors'' to help them along but the suspicions were rationalized away. If you don''t like the way I express my opinions and feel you ''didn''t sign up for that'' feel free to ignore me!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 10:52:21 PM
LOL, first you are upset that I 'called you to task' and not anyone else -- and now you're upset that I called anyone to task in the first place. If you read the first thread you will notice that some did have suspicions about those sites without any 'hall monitors' to help them along but the suspicions were rationalized away. If you don't like the way I express my opinions and feel you 'didn't sign up for that' feel free to ignore me!
Not quite correct......
1. I wasn't upset; I was curious.....which is exactly what I said. Perhaps 'unimpressed' would have been a better choice of words.
2. Expressing an opinion would commenting that YOU find them unethical.....not questioning others' values, and certainly not making assumptions. That's not an opinion; that's rude.
3. Better yet, instead of riding the 'high horse', why don't you perhaps counter with a suggested site that you DO find ethical and actually try to help the OP?
4. In the spirit of opinion-sharing, I'll happily express my opinion that you've been rude. If you're unhappy with my opinion....well, you've given some marvelous advice you can put to good use yourself.

ISLANDD: You might also want to try I-tunes.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I didn''t want to start on the ethics of downloading music.

I do use Itunes for my IPOD. I don''t download much. But I didn''t think the ITunes format would work with my son''s ZEN. Will it?

For the few songs he wants, I''d pay the $.99 each. I was actually having trouble meeting the $10 minimums on the Russian sites especially with out a way to hear snippets of the songs first.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 85px">Date: 3/5/2007 10:01:04 AM

I do use Itunes for my IPOD. I don't download much. But I didn't think the ITunes format would work with my son's ZEN. Will it?
I don't believe it will IS. Itunes only works seamlessly with iPods. There is probably a workaround to use it with other players. I'm thinking you'd have to buy the music, burn it to CD in a different format and then rip it from the CD to whatever software comes with the Zen. I don't know anyone with a ZEN so I'm not sure what sites work directly with them. Microsoft used to have a pay by the song/album site called MSN Music that worked with all devices marked "Plays for Sure" but that changed to subscription based Napster a while ago.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 10:01:04 AM
Wow, I didn''t want to start on the ethics of downloading music.

I do use Itunes for my IPOD. I don''t download much. But I didn''t think the ITunes format would work with my son''s ZEN. Will it?

For the few songs he wants, I''d pay the $.99 each. I was actually having trouble meeting the $10 minimums on the Russian sites especially with out a way to hear snippets of the songs first.
Island.......putting aside the ethics issue (I hope!), the site I mentioned above does let you listen to snippets of songs as well.

As previously mentioned, I learned of it here at PS.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I was able to download the songs my son wanted using ITunes which I use for my IPOD. Then I burned them on CD and then ripped them to the music managment system the ZEN uses. So, all is well and my son was happy to have his most requested song on his birthday, "Dance with My Father" by Luther Vandross in honor of his biological dad passed away a few years ago.

I think the other sites will be great for future downloads in larger quantity. But my son is 10 and quite frankly I want to keep control of the music he listens to at least awhile longer.

Thanks everyone for your help in this.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results