shape
carat
color
clarity

where to get the setting done?

llamage

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

So my loose diamonds that I ordered online arrived and I am satisfied with my purchase. I am going to decide between the two of them after I get them appraised. The next step is place the diamond in an engagement ring. So what are the pros and cons of the following:

1) Taking it to normal jewelry store, and setting the diamond at the jewelry store
2) Ordering the setting online, and setting the diamond at the jewelry store
3) Sending the diamond back to the place of purchase and having the vendor set it for me and ship it back.

I know the #3 is probably the best "deal" in terms of price because it excludes tax and online prices are competitive. But I'm having issues with sending things back because i'm paranoid it might get lost or something. I know it's insured etc... but it's just one of those mental things. So I feel like purchasing it online and just having a jeweler set it in person in front of me is more comforting.

Having said that, if I took it a jeweler to get it set, how long does it take? Do they do it in front of you or do you drop it off and pick it up later? Cause if that's the case, I would just send it back to the original vendor.

Thanks for the advice

llamage

Rough_Rock
bump.

i think the simpler question is...are the savings for settings the same online as loose diamonds?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The tricky piece you aren't considering is the liability associated with setting the new stone. Many jewelers won't accept breakage risk on a stone that you didn't buy from them and rather few will do it if you don't at least buy the mounting from them. The risk is low, but it's not zero and, frankly, I think it's greater than that of having the USPS lose a registered mail package to and from the seller. If they've got what you want and you've got the time, I would recommend staying with the same outfit that's treated you well so far. Attractive prices in terms of the setting fee is just gravy.

The next choice is to find a local vendor who will sell you the mounting and set the stone. Ask to see some of their work and examine it critically. Not all craftsmen are the same, and the cheapest are rarely the best. We have no way of knowing what the selection is like in your town. In some places it's easy and in some it's damn difficult to find a good benchman.

I would put last place buying a mounting online and having it set by yet a 3rd supplier. Even if what you want is extremely exotic and not available from one of the other 2 places you're already working with, I would see if you can get one of THEM to order in the setting and do the work. There are just too many opportunities for finger pointing .... 'the diamond is defective', 'the mounting is defective', 'the setter is a butcher' are all the same if it's the same company and they are very very different if you're trying to work out who is going to resolve a problem.

As with diamonds, most of the online vendors are pretty aggressive pricewise and, as with diamonds, each dealer and each deal is priced individually. Don't just assume that they'll be cheap because they've got a website or that they'll be expensive because they've got a nearby showroom.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what type of setting are you looking for? the advantage to getting it done where you got the stone is that the vendor will cover it during the setting process, otherwise you would need outside insurance. the disadvantage is of course you would have to ship it back and forth.

if you get it done locally that has advantages but also may incur outside setting fees. I would shop around and see what settings you like

ETA I did it the opposite...I got my diamond locally and the setting online. I was more confident in ordering the custom setting online, and saved $$.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with a setting from the orignal vendor of the stone. That way they still have liability. I bought my stone, received it and took it to an appraiser to make sure it was a good purchase. THEN I sent it back to the vendor who set it for me. I did not have to insure the loose stone for the setting process and the vendor also paid for/insured the shipping back to him via FedEx. All I had to do was package it up (there were specific instructions he gave me as to how to do this) and stick on the label and drop it at a fedex store. It was very easy for me to do and I had no worries in case it got lost that it would be covered and I would not be liable for it.
So, that is what I would do personally.
Best of luck!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's always easiest to buy the setting from the vendor who sold you the stone if possible. Next best would be to find a setting from somewhere like Pearlmans who will cover your stone, which as Neil said is very rare b/c most jewelers won't cover a stone you don't buy from them. You can always get an insurance policy with Jewelers Mutual who will cover a stone while it's being set and many people here have done that. You'll be hard pressed to find a local jeweler to set a stone you didn't buy from them into a setting you didn't buy from them, even for a fee. Also, I highly recommend the designer you are getting the setting from be the one to set your stone, no matter who you buy from. We have seen many settings get messed up with the local jewelers try to set the stones rather than just let the designer do it. They usually make it fit your exact stone. If you are going completely custom like with Leon Mege or Steven K, then I'd ask what type of coverage they offer and if they don't offer any then I'd probably go the Jewelers Mutual route.

llamage

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Gibson486

Rough_Rock
I got my stone online and had it set locally. The person I went to mounted the stone right infront of me. Then he showed my how he polished it, how he cleans it and everything. The mounting took about 45 minutes.

orginally, i was gonna do it online with whiteflash. However, the required insurance from JM. Well, JM will not insure lose stones.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Gibson486|1305938951|2926974 said:
I got my stone online and had it set locally. The person I went to mounted the stone right infront of me. Then he showed my how he polished it, how he cleans it and everything. The mounting took about 45 minutes.

orginally, i was gonna do it online with whiteflash. However, the required insurance from JM. Well, JM will not insure lose stones.

I was able to get mine insured through JM...I think you just have to have a receipt for the stone and an estimated value of the setting.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gibson486|1305938951|2926974 said:

yes, I believe this is incorrect. JM will cover a loose stone that is being set as long as you insure the completed ring with them. A spokeswoman for JM posted here detailing their policy. Let me see if I can hunt down the thread. With the new search function here it makes things harder but I will try...

ETA: found this thread from last year (so not too old although some of the info is older) [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yet-another-insurance-question.144418/?hilit=sue%20jewelers%20mutual']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yet-another-insurance-question.144418/?hilit=sue%20jewelers%20mutual[/URL]

however, if you go to JM's site it does not appear that this policy has changed. They say in the FAQ section : "What types of property are not eligible for jewelry insurance?
This policy is not available for damaged watches or jewelry, loose stones that won't be set, antique jewelry, items missing stones or pieces, non-jewelry items, or persons living outside the United States or Canada. This policy is not available in Québec."

so, I would gather that loose stones that will be set would be covered....

http://www.jewelersmutual.com/USAPersonalSubPage.aspx?id=1408#What_are_the_exclusions_to_this_policy???

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results