shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to get the diamond set?!

mumof2

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Just wanting some advice - I am looking at a White Flash diamond but I have my eye on a ring setting from ID Jewelry. What would be the best way to go - have the diamond set into the ring at IDJ or have the setting sent to WF to set there?

First time purchasing such a thing online and in another country so hoping to get it perfect the first time around.

mumof2

Rough_Rock
Ask WF if they can get the same setting. If no, have ID Jewelry order it and mail it to WF. You always want the diamond vendor to set the stone whenever possible.

Thank you, whiteflash could make the same setting for the same price as it would be to purchase and have it set there anyway. But I just wondered how much alike the setting would be as I have not found any I love as much as this one. It is a very simple solitaire but it’s just I want it to be perfectly the same

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, whiteflash could make the same setting for the same price as it would be to purchase and have it set there anyway. But I just wondered how much alike the setting would be as I have not found any I love as much as this one. It is a very simple solitaire but it’s just I want it to be perfectly the same

Can you post the one from IDJ?

mumof2

Rough_Rock
Can you post the one from IDJ?

Yes they can post it, I think I’ll do that. Thank you! Would you insure the setting whilst it is having the diamond set in it? I’m not overly fussed but I haven’t done it before so not sure.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes they can post it, I think I’ll do that. Thank you! Would you insure the setting whilst it is having the diamond set in it? I’m not overly fussed but I haven’t done it before so not sure.
LOL. They can mail it. I would not insure the setting, personally, unless its very expensive.

But, what I meant was could you post a link to the setting from IDJ and maybe we can help you find something that is the same or similar.that WF can obtain.

mumof2

Rough_Rock
LOL. They can mail it. I would not insure the setting, personally, unless its very expensive.

But, what I meant was could you post a link to the setting from IDJ and maybe we can help you find something that is the same or similar.that WF can obtain.

Ohh ‍♀️ Sorry hahah! Mum brain. It is this one in a 4 prong version.

Attachments

• F28AF1A2-C2D7-4359-821D-343966F913D3.png
    F28AF1A2-C2D7-4359-821D-343966F913D3.png
    584.8 KB · Views: 65

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander -

Hi Rocky :)) This is very similar to a Scholdt setting we've seen here recently on PS. @the_mother_thing set her new CBI in it, and it immediately sprang to mind when I saw your post. it has a tiny split shank, so is different in that regard, but there's something about the arms all being pinched together before flaring out to hold the stone that is highly reminiscent.

Either way - I really like it!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander -

Hi Rocky :)) This is very similar to a Scholdt setting we've seen here recently on PS. @the_mother_thing set her new CBI in it, and it immediately sprang to mind when I saw your post. it has a tiny split shank, so is different in that regard, but there's something about the arms all being pinched together before flaring out to hold the stone that is highly reminiscent.

Either way - I really like it!

Thank you! But to clarify/alleviate confusion, my new (temp) setting is from Stuller, and the new diamond is an ACA. Just FYI for @rockysalamander if you go looking in my recent threads for pics/deets. ;)2 I love the Stuller setting and plan to reset it with a CD once I settle on a permanent home for the ACA.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh. Ok - Stuller and ACA. On it now!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is @the_mother_thing setting referenced above.

I really like this setting alot but to me it doesn't appear to be the same as the IDJ piece. The IDJ piece has more of a peg head type look. While this video also shows a pave version, it's the same model (IDJ 5720) and gives a side view which highlights what I'm talking about.

Like @rockysalamander I have seen a similar setting before but can't recall the designer. If it were me, I'd call Yeukitel @ IDJ and ask if it's an in house brand they design and make or a designer brand. He's a great guy and enthusiast so if you explain the situation I think he'd be helpful in pointing you the right way even if he's not making a sale.

mumof2

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your help! Much appreciated!

Thank you @sledge , I will contact Yekutiel and ask. Jonna who I have been in contact with mentioned that they would have to make it but it could also be a designer setting?!

On another note - has anyone done 6 prong on an .8 carat diamond? I was leaning toward the 4 prong as I thought 6 prongs may be a little too much for a smaller diamond. Their original post of the IDJ - 5720 featured a 2 carat diamond which the 6 prongs look lovely on but I don't want them to take away from/cover the diamond too much.

mumof2

Rough_Rock
This is the 4 prong version of the plain and pave band, I haven’t seen the 4 prong as a finished ring though so I’m not sure how the prongs are finished and how thick they end up being. D3D835CA-1931-4E54-92C2-0715B2A7CF24.jpeg

Attachments

• FB21C3BD-314C-44A4-BDF7-15692A6F0877.jpeg
    FB21C3BD-314C-44A4-BDF7-15692A6F0877.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 39

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander @sledge Is it Lauren B Jewelry where you have seen the same design? I realise they have the same style in their 'Lepozzi Handmade Collection'

6 prong plain band like the IDJ posted above.

Maybe, but I feel like it was from one of the stock houses.

I think the setting is pretty, but it won't have that leggy look on your stone vs. the 2 carat stone. I'm not sure what about it you like, but with a smaller stone, the look will change. That may be good or bad.

I do want to point out that a setting like this is at risk of the wedding band rubbing against the prongs of the diamonds an damaging them...leading to the loss of a diamond. That is why so many setting "suck in" the prongs here or use a donut.

1574160624934.png

It is better if the prongs emerge and stay within the width of the shank or are raised above the shank with a donut. Since you don't want cathedral shoulders for the band to ride along, here are a few options. Just to show what I mean, can you see how this ring has a donut so that the diamond bands are riding on that solid donut and not the prongs? But, it that little bezel band was any thicker off the finger, those prongs would be rubbed by the diamond band which will eat everything

1574162362866.png

This VC setting is a good way to show how the setting could work with a safer area for the prongs. You likely could eliminate the cross-bars since your stone is smaller.

1574161607026.png

1574161689247.png

This J. Schubach shows a setting without a donut, but see how the prongs suck in more ? I'd stril personally prefer the

1574161973612.png

Erika Winters Lena shows the same raising of the prongs and a little shoulder raise to provide protection/support to the head from the sides. I know the prongs are wrong, but just showing the basic shapes.

1574162499744.png

No donut, but a solid shank. Not sure of maker, but could be easily replicated.
1574162755693.png

Just something to consider.

mumof2

Rough_Rock
Maybe, but I feel like it was from one of the stock houses.

I think the setting is pretty, but it won't have that leggy look on your stone vs. the 2 carat stone. I'm not sure what about it you like, but with a smaller stone, the look will change. That may be good or bad.

I do want to point out that a setting like this is at risk of the wedding band rubbing against the prongs of the diamonds an damaging them...leading to the loss of a diamond. That is why so many setting "suck in" the prongs here or use a donut.

1574160624934.png

It is better if the prongs emerge and stay within the width of the shank or are raised above the shank with a donut. Since you don't want cathedral shoulders for the band to ride along, here are a few options. Just to show what I mean, can you see how this ring has a donut so that the diamond bands are riding on that solid donut and not the prongs? But, it that little bezel band was any thicker off the finger, those prongs would be rubbed by the diamond band which will eat everything

1574162362866.png

This VC setting is a good way to show how the setting could work with a safer area for the prongs. You likely could eliminate the cross-bars since your stone is smaller.

1574161607026.png

1574161689247.png

This J. Schubach shows a setting without a donut, but see how the prongs suck in more ? I'd stril personally prefer the

1574161973612.png

Erika Winters Lena shows the same raising of the prongs and a little shoulder raise to provide protection/support to the head from the sides. I know the prongs are wrong, but just showing the basic shapes.

1574162499744.png

No donut, but a solid shank. Not sure of maker, but could be easily replicated.
1574162755693.png

Just something to consider.

Thank you, that is a good point! Do you think that this setting sits up that little bit higher to allow space? I mainly like the simplicity of the style, how simple the prongs are and how the diamond sits lower in the prongs. Not really a fan of the diamond sitting high or the basket look.

D85D46DB-7395-4D57-A5EC-5D55CC98D3D9.png F5ABAFF5-F807-4660-B7E3-A48C61E17779.png

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, that is a good point! Do you think that this setting sits up that little bit higher to allow space? I mainly like the simplicity of the style, how simple the prongs are and how the diamond sits lower in the prongs. Not really a fan of the diamond sitting high or the basket look.

D85D46DB-7395-4D57-A5EC-5D55CC98D3D9.png F5ABAFF5-F807-4660-B7E3-A48C61E17779.png

Yes...and no. This kind of settings is safer for the prongs from rubbing, but now the prongs just sitting on top are at risk of shearing off the shank from a hard blow. They actually just soldered the head to the shank (you can see the blob of solder). There is a post that attaches the two, but it is still just one point of contact. Not ideal. In the last example I posted, you can see that the bottom of the head is wider and has more contact with the shank. I still prefer multiple points of contact, but a wider contact is better than narrow little ballerina heads.

You can keep the basic feel of the IDJ setting, but I'd think about adding a reverse taper so the shank will ride on the shoulders.

NOT your style, but can you see how the reverse taper helps keep the band off the prongs? The wedding band rides on the shoulders. But, if that was a diamond band, it would still eat the prongs from below if it was much taller. That can be helped by making the prongs more sucked in and raising this head upward a bit more. The reverse taper also makes the diamond look bigger. :dance:

1574169153904.png

So have a look at WF settings and others with these points in mind. You want your diamond low and a simple setting, but structure and the wedding band matter.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wife's ring has a 0.867 stone, and we used 6 prongs. Mainly because I wanted the extra security and think 6 actually enhances the round shape.

A common "issue" (for me, anyhow) is I believe 4 prongs can make a stone look square and offers less security.

I'd encourage you to consider 6 prongs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results