shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to get ring sized? In So Cal area?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ucbedge

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I just bought my girlfriend a beautiful engagement ring from Costco. High-quality stone with baguettes on the side. It''s a nice piece of rock that unfortunately cost me more than my current car did.

In any case, the ring is about 1/2 size to a full size too big for her. Unfortunately, Costco does not size rings...thus my question: where do people go to get their ring sized? I want the sizing done in front of me so I know the jeweler didnt switch the diamond out.

Specifically, does anybody know a jeweler in the So Cal area who will provide this service for a reasonable cost? I live and work in Long Beach.

Thank you in advance!
21.gif

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know anyone in your area, but I don''t think any reputable place would switch the stone on you.Also it may not be easy to be present as they are doing the job, may not fit in their schedule.IF you have certificate for the stone than you should not worry about anyone trying to take this stone from you. Good luck to you.

ucbedge

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply. Yeah, the diamond came with two certs, which say that the diamond is laser-inscribed with something....but I''m not gonna look in a microscope and confirm that the laser inscribing is still there. Thats why I wanted it done in front of me.

This is what''s tough about jewerly - as a 20-something guy, I have NO CLUE which jewelers are reputable, and which ones arent. It''s not like buying electronics, unfortunately (something I''m good at).

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

If you don''t find a jeweler in long beach and you''re willing to drive 1/2hr or so to downtown LA, go to Hill St. between 5th and 6th, that''s the main jewelry district area. There are litterally thousands of jewelers there. Just ask a few vendors who their best goldsmith they use is, and they''ll point you in one of their directions. Typically the people who operate the booths downstairs in the buildings are retailers and the people upstairs in the office buildings are the goldsmiths, diamond setters, wholesalers, etc. Then just wait in their office while they finish the job. If you''re sizing down for a basic band, it should only cost you like $10, $20 max. Good luck :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe give Jennifer Thornton-Davis a call.
She's an appraiser up in Encino.
She may have a good referal in Southern California.

She is one of the appraisers listed in Pricescopes Resource/appraisers list.

Jennifer Thornton-Davis

I have talked to her on the phone once and got a very good feeling about her.
She seems very reputable and knowledgeable.
She was refered to me by John Pollard at Whiteflash.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Hi,
Congrats!!! I would highly recommend buying a 20x loupe. YOu can get it online for about 50 bucks or so. You don''t need a microscope to see the laser engraving. A 20x loupe will do. Some would say 10x loupe but I can''t see my laser engraving with that.

With a little practice you wiill be able to find the engraving yourself and once you an do that, you don''t have to worry about the diamond being switched. Thats the beauty of laser engravings, its an identifying marker for your own saftey and peace of mind.

And despite what 20/20 and other newsshows will have you believe, diamond switching is pretty rare.

asquareguy

Rough_Rock
ucbedge,

There are 2 in LB familiar to me:

Dave Schneider Fine Jewelry, 245 The Promenade N., Long Beach (on Broadway, 1 Blk W. of L.B. Blvd.)

McCarty''s Jewelry 5011 East 2nd Street (Belmont Shores)

Good luck,

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I have read somewhere here that laser inscription can easily be polished off?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results