shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to find the best asscher, see my criteria below, and where to find fancy pinks and blues?

Lovey Lace

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I haven't looked at MMD for a number of years, and am surprised now at how much the prices have come down, so I'm very interested again.

I'm looking for an asscher that's similar to this style (octavia), or this style (heritage), where the table facet is small, and the corners are more chamfered. I would like to avoid this type of asscher.

I'd like to find something that's at least 5-6 cts. Color D-F. Clarity VVS2+. Cut and polish excellent. No fluorescence. Graded by a top reputable lab.

I'd also love to find something like this that's pink or blue, in the fancy to fancy-intense range. For pink or blue diamonds, I'm open to emerald cut, asscher, oval, or pear. I haven't seen this, except maybe at Harry Winston, but per PS wisdom, I'd like to avoid the high markup brands. That, and I don't think I can afford it until I win the lottery.

I'd like to go with a recommended, well-known, and reputable vendor.

I want to know, if all my above criteria are met, how much would I need to spend?

I looked at Ritani, they seem to be the most affordable per carat. Is there a reason why? Are they inferior diamonds in some ways? Or is the brand not considered upscale?

I looked at Distinctive Gem, they seem to be the most expensive. I know they have the best moissanites in terms of optical performance and light return, but are their MMD also superior in cut compared to their competitors?

I looked at Diamonds by Lauren, Brian Gavin, and White Flash, and I don't think they have anything in my range. Brian Gavin advertises superior material, cut and performance, is this true? Or is it just marketing with no substance backing it up? You can grow your own lab at Brian Gavin, but what are their prices? Is it more like Ritani or Distinctive Gem?

Jann Paul, the brand that listed the octavia, does not have any pricing for it. Do I have to email Gem Concepts if I'm interested in quotes and availability?

Any other cream of the crop vendors with cream of the crop MMDs that I'm missing?

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lovely Lace,

Sounds like you have done your research. I am not an expert, but I do know that in order for the experts here to help, you will have to let them know your budget. Then they can begin the hunt!

I am in the process of looking at a Jann Paul Emerald 2.0. Their prices are a bit higher, but their quality is exceptional. They have very high standards for their diamonds so you know you are getting the best of the best.

You will need to email them to set up an appointment with one of their consultants. I am working with Avery and she is great. I’ve heard they’re all nice and very knowledgeable. They will send you any videos or scopes you ask for. I am looking for a 3.5 ct. center stone (which they will have to grow) with 2 smaller side emeralds, approx. 0.5ct each. They will give you a price range. I would guess it will be over 20K, but you should contact them and ask.

Enjoy the process!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
BTW, Jann Paul has the decagon. With 10 sides and 111 facets. I’ve searched YouTube for every one of their videos.

Also, they are very responsive, but they had a small fire in their showroom the other day and it might take a little longer to get back. Avery said they should be back in the showroom in 2 days and that was yesterday.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, jann paul doesnt stock Octavia anymore beyond the ones existing in their inventory, and none are MMD.

Yoram (who cuts the octavia), told me last year that the minimum price for a MMD Octavia would be in the 12-14k range due to cutting time.

Alex park of IG sometimes has antique style MMD asschers but you'd have to ask him specifically about when he might have more in stock.

Ritani is reputable, but they're a drop shipper and therefore theres no guarantee that the stone you buy will actually be available.

Distinctive gem is amazing and Jonathan has a really cool vintage-ish style asscher that he can custom cut for you in an MMD.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS finding something like what you want will be hard enough in a colorless stone, so I honestly wouldn't try to mess around with pink/blue right now given your other preferences

Lovey Lace

Rough_Rock
You will need to email them to set up an appointment with one of their consultants. I am working with Avery and she is great. I’ve heard they’re all nice and very knowledgeable. They will send you any videos or scopes you ask for. I am looking for a 3.5 ct. center stone (which they will have to grow) with 2 smaller side emeralds, approx. 0.5ct each. They will give you a price range. I would guess it will be over 20K, but you should contact them and ask.
Thank you. I just looked, it looks like they're located in Singapore?

BTW, Jann Paul has the decagon. With 10 sides and 111 facets. I’ve searched YouTube for every one of their videos.
Very interesting, but I think I want to avoid rounds for now.

Also, jann paul doesnt stock Octavia anymore beyond the ones existing in their inventory, and none are MMD.

Yoram (who cuts the octavia), told me last year that the minimum price for a MMD Octavia would be in the 12-14k range due to cutting time.

Alex park of IG sometimes has antique style MMD asschers but you'd have to ask him specifically about when he might have more in stock.

Ritani is reputable, but they're a drop shipper and therefore theres no guarantee that the stone you buy will actually be available.

Distinctive gem is amazing and Jonathan has a really cool vintage-ish style asscher that he can custom cut for you in an MMD.
Good to know, I had no idea the Octavia is no longer being cut for MMD. I'll forget about that one then.

Ok, so I think something is off with Ritani then. I had a quick look on Jann Paul's website, an emerald cut 2.0 at 2.5 ct is already at $6300. Distinctive Gem's website for MMD custom cut doesn't even go beyond 8mm, but judging from the 4 ct asscher they have, it's already $25k. Why is Ritani having a bunch of 5+ ct asschers that's F and VVS2 that's only $6k? That's why I was wondering if Ritani is considered a budget option? Are they mass produced? Cut or grown in an inferior way? Using poorer material to begin with? Are they more akin to a Blue Nile rather than more premium or boutique?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ritani is a drop-shipper. Definitely more akin to Blue Nile. JannPaul cuts their own super ideal cut stones, and so does Distinctive Gem for their heritage stones.

If you're looking for the highest quality and want a blue or pink, I would 100% go with JannPaul. They're the only vendor I know who has developed true pinks (not orangey) and true blues (not greenish). They also use only top quality rough.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I just looked, it looks like they're located in Singapore?

Very interesting, but I think I want to avoid rounds for now.

Good to know, I had no idea the Octavia is no longer being cut for MMD. I'll forget about that one then.

Ok, so I think something is off with Ritani then. I had a quick look on Jann Paul's website, an emerald cut 2.0 at 2.5 ct is already at $6300. Distinctive Gem's website for MMD custom cut doesn't even go beyond 8mm, but judging from the 4 ct asscher they have, it's already $25k. Why is Ritani having a bunch of 5+ ct asschers that's F and VVS2 that's only $6k? That's why I was wondering if Ritani is considered a budget option? Are they mass produced? Cut or grown in an inferior way? Using poorer material to begin with? Are they more akin to a Blue Nile rather than more premium or boutique?

Octavia is being cut for MMD, but you need to go through Yoram directly and minimmum cost is 12-14k as of when I last asked him.

Yes, Ritani is more like blue nile vs a premium or botique service. Working with Jann Paul or Distinctive Gems gets you a bunch of personalized attention and 1:1 help, whereas with Ritani or blue nile, etc, you'll just end up ordering but not getting expert help.

Lovey Lace

Rough_Rock
Ritani is a drop-shipper. Definitely more akin to Blue Nile. JannPaul cuts their own super ideal cut stones, and so does Distinctive Gem for their heritage stones.

If you're looking for the highest quality and want a blue or pink, I would 100% go with JannPaul. They're the only vendor I know who has developed true pinks (not orangey) and true blues (not greenish). They also use only top quality rough.
This is super helpful. Really good to know that JP is the top vendor for pinks and blues. If I only go for the whites though, any thoughts on JP vs other brands that claim to be 'premium' like WF or BG or Distinctive Gem? Any others come to mind for premium? JP is in Singapore, I was surprised by that and didn't realize I'd have to work with someone overseas. Doesn't JP own this site?

Octavia is being cut for MMD, but you need to go through Yoram directly and minimmum cost is 12-14k as of when I last asked him.

Yes, Ritani is more like blue nile vs a premium or botique service. Working with Jann Paul or Distinctive Gems gets you a bunch of personalized attention and 1:1 help, whereas with Ritani or blue nile, etc, you'll just end up ordering but not getting expert help.
I read your post on Yoram, and I think the 12-14k quote was just for 1 ct, IIRC. Yipes!

Thanks for the note on Ritani, now I understand. I didn't know what drop shipper meant. I now see part of the difference in cost is due to customer service, maintaining a storefront etc.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JP certainly doesnt own pricescope. Its independently owned. It's a little intimidating to work with people overseas at first, but they set up regular video calls with clients to help people feel comfortable. But totally up to you in the end.

Lovey Lace

Rough_Rock
JP certainly doesnt own pricescope. Its independently owned. It's a little intimidating to work with people overseas at first, but they set up regular video calls with clients to help people feel comfortable. But totally up to you in the end.

Good to know. Is JP a new player? I remember some time ago like many years ago, looking into coloured diamonds, there was d.nea and that was about it. Then i looked into mined diamonds and PS had a bunch of mentions for BG, WF, and HP for premium diamonds, but I've never heard of JP come up in any of those discussions.

Lovey Lace

Rough_Rock
Hi Lovely Lace,

Sounds like you have done your research. I am not an expert, but I do know that in order for the experts here to help, you will have to let them know your budget. Then they can begin the hunt!

I am in the process of looking at a Jann Paul Emerald 2.0. Their prices are a bit higher, but their quality is exceptional. They have very high standards for their diamonds so you know you are getting the best of the best.

Enjoy the process!

I would love to see your EC 2.0 when you have it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results