shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to find styles similar to Tiffany Elsa Peretti “pearl by the yard” necklace?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, would love to find an 18 inch or longer strand of “pearl by the yard” (pearls separated by chain). I also would prefer baroque instead of round pearls.

Tiffany’s Elsa Peretti makes this design but I prefer not to pay the Tiffany mark up.

Here’s an example of what I’m looking for that I found on google images:

F87248FE-999C-4FDA-9D95-B910F03BB648.jpeg

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What you are looking for is a classic station necklace (the pearls are stationed along the chain) It's a straightforward item, just pick what pearls, what metal and what length

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im going to make my own
i have been inspired by our PS pearl princesss
Im going to practice with silver first (ok and maybe fake pearls)

Just for the price of station necklases here, with the unknown quality of the pearls, I reacon if i really wanted to it would be cost effect for me to buy the pearls i wanted and then pay someone to assemble it

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Pearlescence Thanks! I’ll do a search for station pearl necklaces.

@Daisys and Diamonds How exciting! May be more cost effective to make our own, although I’m afraid I may not be so talented. Keep me posted on how yours is coming along!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve been tying myself in knots getting quotes for a tin cup/station necklace using pearls I already own (courtesy of the lovely Yssie). The price of gold at the moment hasn’t helped, but it’s been surprisingly difficult for something I thought would be straight forward!

If you’re after pre-made, I’ve seen a few on Cees’ Insta and also Pearlescence’s site (as above). Try searching for ‘tin cup necklace’, along with ‘pearl station necklace’ and ‘pearls by the yard’ and lots of options pop up from different vendors.

@MakingTheGrade has created some stunning homemade options too! Her threads are definitely worth a look for inspo on possibilities.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Pearlescence Thanks! I’ll do a search for station pearl necklaces.

@Daisys and Diamonds How exciting! May be more cost effective to make our own, although I’m afraid I may not be so talented. Keep me posted on how yours is coming along!

I will !
Thank you for the encouragement

I never thought of it before but a few months ago i saw someone wanting to buy some gold chains (broken ok) to make into a station necklase

i am hopeless at getting any sort of bargain so I'll stick with silver to start with (plus im going to make my first one from those really really amazingly cheap Swarovski crystal pearls for practice - they do do a baroque in an excellent range of real looking colours but of course they are all identical )

I remember being a wee girl out in dad's garage fosking around for plyers so i could fix my broken jewlery - so how hard can it be ?
It would just being neat enough at the joins will be my main concern

But Just have to find the right findings and look at what @MakingTheGrade and the other pearl princess get up to for inspiration :appl:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve been tying myself in knots getting quotes for a tin cup/station necklace using pearls I already own (courtesy of the lovely Yssie). The price of gold at the moment hasn’t helped, but it’s been surprisingly difficult for something I thought would be straight forward!

If you’re after pre-made, I’ve seen a few on Cees’ Insta and also Pearlescence’s site (as above). Try searching for ‘tin cup necklace’, along with ‘pearl station necklace’ and ‘pearls by the yard’ and lots of options pop up from different vendors.

@MakingTheGrade has created some stunning homemade options too! Her threads are definitely worth a look for inspo on possibilities.
When gold comes back down im going to look at buying some broken chains at more like scrap price
Yssie has a great eye, nice for you to make something beautiful out of them
Do you think you could make your own ?

I think its just a matter of being neat enough with the joins

Last edited:

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Some short advice:

Depending on what you're looking for, make sure that the pearls have an end cap of some sort instead of a chain running directly through and against them -- my thoughts, at least.

Finally, if you want the pearls to be movable on the chain so you can space them how you wish, that's a separate and special mechanism that while entirely unnecessary is still kind of cool.

Good luck on your necklace hunt!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So much this.

@lissyflo and I wanted similar pieces... It was astonishingly difficult to find someone who would touch this sort of project! Especially if you want to not pay half a liver and/or supply your own components!!

If you can DIY - ditto @lissyflo, @MakingTheGrade’s pieces are fabulous. And she can change them up however she wants at any time!!

I ultimately went with WF because I love the way they do their baby bezels. They attach the pearls by making endcaps for each pearl (rather than having chain or eyepins going through the drill hole).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some short advice:

Depending on what you're looking for, make sure that the pearls have an end cap of some sort instead of a chain running directly through and against them -- my thoughts, at least.

Finally, if you want the pearls to be movable on the chain so you can space them how you wish, that's a separate and special mechanism that while entirely unnecessary is still kind of cool.

Good luck on your necklace hunt!
May i just trouble you for the briefest moment ?
Ive seen a finding that goes straight through the pearl* with an eye on one end and i presume one makes the eye on the other to join onto the chain
Will that kind of thingy damage the pearl if the pearl is stationary (no pun intended)

* ive only seen it on a Whitby jet bead but i was hoping if its ok for jet it would be ok for pearl ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So much this.

@lissyflo and I wanted similar pieces... It was astonishingly difficult to find someone who would touch this sort of project! Especially if you want to not pay half a liver and/or supply your own components!!

If you can DIY - @MakingTheGrade’s pieces are fabulous. And she can change them up however she wants at any time!!

I ultimately went with WF because I love the way they do their baby bezels. They attach the pearls by making endcaps for each pearl (rather than having chain or eyepins going through the drill hole).

Eye pin
Knew there was a word for it !
Can you buy a finding with an end cup ?
Is it like the thingy on the back of some pearl earings ?

Sorry - im picking minds today

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
May i just trouble you for the briefest moment ?
Ive seen a finding that goes straight through the pearl* with an eye on one end and i presume one makes the eye on the other to join onto the chain
Will that kind of thingy damage the pearl if the pearl is stationary (no pun intended)

* ive only seen it on a Whitby jet bead but i was hoping if its ok for jet it would be ok for pearl ?

If I'm understanding you correctly - you are referring to this sort of thing (piece is not mine or provided by me - this is just a reference photo)

1608506930576.png

In which case, yes - this is how they ought to be made, with the finding to protect the edge of the drill hole from the chain.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eye pin
Knew there was a word for it !
Can you buy a finding with an end cup ?
Is it like the thingy on the back of some pearl earings ?

Sorry - im picking minds today
04549631-21AA-4BAD-9345-5CBBF9065AB9.jpeg

Yes!! There are a ton on Etsy! But I complicated everything by wanting rose gold, and findings in rose gold are few and far between ;(

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I'm understanding you correctly - you are referring to this sort of thing (piece is not mine or provided by me - this is just a reference photo)

1608506930576.png

In which case, yes - this is how they ought to be made, with the finding to protect the edge of the drill hole from the chain.

Thank you for the photo

Hmmmmm ....
another reason why I'll play around with the Swarovskis first, for nice pearls its starting to get a little complicated

I would hate to inflict damage on something that takes a mollusk a year or longer to make

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
04549631-21AA-4BAD-9345-5CBBF9065AB9.jpeg

Yes!! There are a ton on Etsy! But I complicated everything by wanting rose gold, and findings in rose gold are few and far between ;(

Phew
Im going silver
but i love rose gold

...so
How does one attach that to the pearl
Does one jam it in / screw it in ?
Do you think it would work on a Swarovski crystal pearl ? - (just aiming to practice with the same findings as for the real thing)

Im assuming they come in different sizes to fit the pearl ?
One goes in each end ?
....sorry im being Barry the basic today :doh:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew
Im going silver
but i love rose gold

...so
How does one attach that to the pearl
Does one jam it in / screw it in ?
Do you think it would work on a Swarovski crystal pearl ? - (just aiming to practice with the same findings as for the real thing)

Im assuming they come in different sizes to fit the pearl ?
One goes in each end ?
....sorry im being Barry the basic today :doh:

One glues it in
Which is a seriously nerve-wracking thing to do, if it’s not something you do regularly
Which glue are you supposed to use? I read somewhere that using the wrong glue makes pearls prone to shattering! What if you use too much glue? Too little glue? How do you know when it’s set? What if you get it wrong and have to undo it?
This solvent is the defacto answer to that last question about undoing things -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7LXAYE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_dp-3FbSNR8333
The stuff is apparently completely safe for pearls... Oddly enough, the idea of dousing my darlings in something called “Attack” wasn’t exactly soothing
My solution moving forward will be to #MakeSomeoneElseDoIt.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
One glues it in
Which is a seriously nerve-wracking thing to do, if it’s not something you do regularly
Which glue are you supposed to use? I read somewhere that using the wrong glue makes pearls prone to shattering! What if you use too much glue? Too little glue? How do you know when it’s set? What if you get it wrong and have to undo it?
This solvent is the defacto answer to that last question about undoing things -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7LXAYE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_dp-3FbSNR8333
The stuff is apparently completely safe for pearls... Oddly enough, the idea of dousing my darlings in something called “Attack” wasn’t exactly soothing
My solution moving forward will be to #MakeSomeoneElseDoIt.

OMG !
................ glue ?

Well if you say its ok ;)2
I believe you

but its all sounding more complicated than i realized

Still i will not be phased !

Edit i hate glueing
Im no where near neat enough and my hand shakes glue all over the place
and double boo hiss to an apoxy

But i shell blunder forward
(Just not today)

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@lissyflo Thanks for the helpful suggestions re vendors!

I’m not going to make my own lol, I don’t think I can do it, so I may reach out to @molinePDG and @Pearlescence and look at their instagrams for ready-to-wear tin cup/station necklaces featuring baroque pearls. Either of you have an opera length strand (at least 20 inch long) of baroque or Keshi pearls, preferably off white color? Here’s an example I found online, only too short, and I prefer if the pearls are spaced apart a bit more (aka remove every other pearl from the strand examples below). I’m ok with sterling silver for metal (I’m allergic to nickel aka white gold and don’t like/have yellow gold pieces in my collection currently to match).

I can also reach out to Cees as well.

8D202E50-AD01-466B-BE67-7F4C3B34F1F4.jpeg

Attachments

• 61977621-8968-4352-ABEC-621EF67AD977.jpeg
    61977621-8968-4352-ABEC-621EF67AD977.jpeg
    16.8 KB · Views: 10

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@lissyflo Thanks for the helpful suggestions re vendors!

I’m not going to make my own lol, I don’t think I can do it, so I may reach out to @molinePDG and @Pearlescence and look at their instagrams for ready-to-wear tin cup/station necklaces featuring baroque pearls. Either of you have an opera length strand (at least 20 inch long) of baroque or Keshi pearls, preferably off white color? Here’s an example I found online, only too short, and I prefer if the pearls are spaced apart a bit more (aka remove every other pearl from the strand examples below). I’m ok with sterling silver for metal (I’m allergic to nickel aka white gold and don’t like/have yellow gold pieces in my collection currently to match).

I can also reach out to Cees as well.

8D202E50-AD01-466B-BE67-7F4C3B34F1F4.jpeg

When i looked on line (i want to see close ups to see the findings) i didn't see any long ones made with real pearls :(2

I am sure there must be heaps of places on Eaty that can make these

im still keen to have a go (with fakes firsr)

so please post pictures of what ever you get so i can drool .....and check out a close up of the findings

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m late to the thread, but when I’ve glued pearls in the past, I’ve used Vigor glue. Worked a treat. Just coat the ‘peg’ part of the component in it and pop it into the drill hole. Make sure you have something to stabilise the pearl to help it sit upright while drying.

I too, have this same project in the works! As yssie and lissy have mentioned, it has been surprisingly difficult and expensive to get a quote for this while using my own pearls.

I seriously considered the DIY route on this project. However, the quality of the pearls I’m using, my inability to set diamonds combined with the lack of rose gold components available has meant that I will need a jeweller to put it together for me. I might still put together a bracelet and earring version myself, but the long necklace will be a custom project!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you use gel superglue to fix the settings then it has its own release agent with no need to soak.
Make sure the pin fits the drill hole closely.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been using gold filled wire to create something similar with circle Tahitians. It doesn’t protect the pearl as much as gluing a cap, but these pearls weren’t super gem grade so I’m not as precious about a little bit of possible scratching or discoloration from the met rubbing.

Kojima pearls seams to assemble their station style necklaces this way too.

It’s super easy. I buy eye pins in the gold color of my choice, pop it through the pearl and bend an eye loop on the other end. Attaching to chain just means opening the loops a little to put the chain on them and then reclosing.

799692 797409

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used riogrand for my nicer quality gold fill chain and eye pins since the cost of gold is so high and I’m also constantly playing around and changing the chain haha. So far no tarnishing and it looks lovey.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pearl Paradise recommended wire wrapping the pearls into a tin cup, so I assume it’s safe for the pearls and another option to cupping them? Lots of antique chains use that method, but I suppose they may be full nacre so maybe rubbing is less of an issue (or glues weren’t as reliable a few decades ago?!).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearl Paradise recommended wire wrapping the pearls into a tin cup, so I assume it’s safe for the pearls and another option to cupping them? Lots of antique chains use that method, but I suppose they may be full nacre so maybe rubbing is less of an issue (or glues weren’t as reliable a few decades ago?!).

In my limited experience, pure 14k gold and gold filled wire did seem to leave a black residue round the drill hole over time. I was able to wipe it away every time I noticed it but I could see how it might permanently discolor it a bit over long periods of time. It was totally a “mind clean” thing since the area getting discolored (the lip of the drill hole” really isn’t visible to others when worn.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly @Daisys and Diamonds, if you’re just starting out, I wouldn’t worry about the cup and glueing them in. It’s really easy to get eye pins and glass pearls to practice with, and plated chain before you invest in the real thing. There are lots of tutorials online (YouTube) to show you how to make wrapped loops etc., just watch a few of those, it’s always easier to see it being done than reading how to do it.

If you need any help, just come back and shout.

Ooo look, https://www.warburtons.co.nz/shop/Shop+by+Category/Findings+Chains++Threads/Chain+by+the+Metre.html

They’ve got everything you need!

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a tin cup necklace, I wire-wrapped a knot at each end of the pearl to make it more secure, as just a hook could easily be bent out of shape.

Here is an old pearl that I knotted at one end using a hair pin to show what I mean by a knot.

20200702_103205.jpg

One would need a good pair of: round nose plier, flat nose plier and a good pair of fine nose cutters.

For the cyrstals in between, one can get a Swarovski cyrstal necklace from the likes of Bella Findings and chop it up, and then link each crystal in its setting using a double ended knot.

It may easier to use Swarovski crystal beads though. I shall look for what I have made in the past and post a pic later.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly @Daisys and Diamonds, if you’re just starting out, I wouldn’t worry about the cup and glueing them in. It’s really easy to get eye pins and glass pearls to practice with, and plated chain before you invest in the real thing. There are lots of tutorials online (YouTube) to show you how to make wrapped loops etc., just watch a few of those, it’s always easier to see it being done than reading how to do it.

If you need any help, just come back and shout.

Ooo look, https://www.warburtons.co.nz/shop/Shop+by+Category/Findings+Chains++Threads/Chain+by+the+Metre.html

They’ve got everything you need!

Thank you @Austina and also @dk168

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would go wire wrapping! I have done it myself several times, and it’s a really good pastime! Just look for videos on YouTube, how to do it.
But if you prefer to buy one, maybe take a look at the shop SimplyAdorned4U on Etsy.
For buying loose pearls try maybe pearl_society on eBay.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results