shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to find loose old european cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know of a place to find loose OECs or OMCs? I know Whiteflash has a few listed in their inventory, but I was wondering if there are any sites out there that have a larger selection. Also, just like there are well-cut modern round brilliants, there must be well-cut old europeans. Does anyone know what to look for in the numbers that would indicate a well-cut OEC? Thanks!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one unusual question in this RBC land
2.gif

There are no "standard" numbers for old diamond cuts. In absence of a standard, appraisers and sellers make their own standards, to which you may or may not subcribe. There are not too many sellers specializing in these stones. The one person who may help you with further guidance on what propertions are "desirable" in an OMC diamond is David Atlas (alias 'Oldminer').

You may find some comment on cut standards for these shapes in one of his rather recent posts around here which elluded me for 10 min or so...

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
Both Old European and old Mine cut are readily available in the USA, I did a quick search at the cutters and wholesalers and came up with about 500 stones. Why not choose one of the popular Pricescope vendors and ask them to do a search on your criteria.
In terms of specifications,there is not much published. Your eye will be the best judge. I do agree with valeria 101 that Dave Atlas would be a good bet for advice.

Johan
Melbourne Diamond Exchange (Australia)

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I do have a chart of parameters for round, old European cuts, BUT your eyes are probably the best judge...... I have never published this chart, but use it in my office with my diamond buyer person as a training tool. It helped him to develop a discerning eye for a nice cut stone.

Glad to email this to anyone who wants it.

contact [email protected] and request "chart5"

sirene

Rough_Rock
I just emailed you!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oldminer's business also handles wholesale for older cuts, so if you ask nicely he can probably steer you toward some dealers. My precious OMC came courtesy of Oldminer.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Dave, thanks for the chart!

My OEC is "Excellent to Very Good cut quality for a diamond of this period" to quote your chart.

It just confirmed what I could already see for myself, but it's nice to know anyway
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results