shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to find 14k white gold/palladium rings?

peperomia

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for vendors that carries 14k white gold men's wedding band that is alloyed with palladium, instead of nickel. Does anyone know where they can be found?

Also, local jewelry store rep told me white gold/palladium alloy is only good in 18k as 14k does not combine well or something and is not a good mix. Is that true at all?

It is my understanding that 14k are more durable than 18k and also when I saw the pictures of unplated white gold, the 14k/palladium mix was more whiter than the 18k/palladium mix. I figure the rhodium plating will wear off eventually, but at least the 14k will stay whiter longer. Am I correct in thinking that or is the difference so negligible that it doesn't matter?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think that both David Klass and CvB would be options.

14kt is going to be stronger in the sense that it is harder but it can be also described as being more brittle due to that. 18kt is softer because it has more gold content than alloys in the 14kt.

14kt may look whiter than 18 kt because of the greater percentage of alloys. What type of band are you looking at? It may come down to personal preference.

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
I think Brilliant Earth has a palladium option. Call and ask.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ring durability in my opinion is less material related and more environmental/stress related followed by design and manufacturing defects.
In other words the majority of damage to rings was going to happen no matter what the material or how it was made other than maybe titanium and stainless steel.
This includes one time events and repetitive smaller events.
Some are design related for example peg heads are notorious for getting pulled off, sweaters are their biggest enemy.
Others are craftsmanship related when the ring should have survived but didn't.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stuller (one of the biggest ring manufacturers) carries 14K X1 White gold.
https://www.stuller.com/articles/view/x1-white-gold-faqs/
Probably the toughest white gold on the market in my opinion, it is also very white without any plating.
I like Stuller's X1 alloys, but they are not nickel-free.

@peperomia -- Rutledge Jewelers in California works with both 18K and 14K palladium white gold. I have no first-hand experience with them, but they have been on etsy for more than 10 years & have consistently received very high reviews there; their prices seem quite reasonable to me:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RutledgeJewelers?

Since the Rutledges make all the rings they sell -- except for several styles of machine-tooled bands -- they doubtlessly would be happy to discuss with you the differences between the 2 white gold alloys, especially in relation to whatever rings of theirs you might be considering. (E.g., the goldsmith I've worked with on several custom projects once mentioned he prefers the 18K palladium white gold over the 14K, but I imagine not every "bench" has the same views on such things).

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. Based on this comment from David Rutledge
Each ring is made from recycled gold from our partner foundry in Virginia. We use eco friendly materials and techniques, wherever possible to ensure great jewelry with a small environmental footprint.
https://www.etsy.com/people/seababejewelry
I think it's likely that the Rutledges do not rhodium-plate any of the rings they fabricate since rhodium-plating is not really an eco-friendly process, requires additional expenses and precautions, e.g., you can't simply dump the sulfuric acid solution down the drain.
https://www.stuller.com/benchjewele...d-disposal-of-spent-rhodium-plating-solution/

If rhodium-plating matters to you, you could have that done by a local jeweler even if you buy an unplated white gold band from Rutledge or elsewhere.

peperomia

Rough_Rock
Wow, thank you for all the great suggestions and tips. They are very helpful! I'm just looking for a simple comfort fit band that's slightly flat looking outside, 5-6mm width. I'll check all the places you guys mentioned. Thank you so much.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@peperomia just wanted to tell you I have a ring made of palladium 14k white gold. It has never been rhodium plated and does NOT need it! The metal is super white.

peperomia

Rough_Rock
@peperomia just wanted to tell you I have a ring made of palladium 14k white gold. It has never been rhodium plated and does NOT need it! The metal is super white.
That's great to hear! Thank you for letting me know! It's really difficult to find 14k white gold/palladium mix. Most online vendors don't seem to deal with palladium at all and when they do, it's offered as stand alone metal, not as an alloy. :|

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@peperomia mine is from David Klass. He loves using his 14k palladium white gold, and would be happy to help you. They are great. You can email him ([email protected]) or reach out to him thru Etsy. Here's a link to his Etsy shop showing a plain comfort fit band. You can convo him thru "ask seller a question" . Tell him you want 5mm comfort fit in 14k palladium white gold. Ask for quote. You can see by the listing, his prices are good too!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/615888998/18k-yellow-gold-mens-wedding-band

Here is a close up of my 14k palladium white gold from him.
20181024_223807.jpg

peperomia

Rough_Rock
@peperomia mine is from David Klass. He loves using his 14k palladium white gold, and would be happy to help you. They are great. You can email him ([email protected]) or reach out to him thru Etsy. Here's a link to his Etsy shop showing a plain comfort fit band. You can convo him thru "ask seller a question" . Tell him you want 5mm comfort fit in 14k palladium white gold. Ask for quote. You can see by the listing, his prices are good too!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/615888998/18k-yellow-gold-mens-wedding-band

Here is a close up of my 14k palladium white gold from him.
20181024_223807.jpg

Oh wow, that's great! Thank you so much! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results