shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to Exchange a Diamaond in Calgary?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mark_B

Rough_Rock
Hi Folks,

Hoping someone can give me a nudge in the right direction.

A while back I bought an engagement ring which, due to a curve-ball thrown by life, I never got a chance to make use of. However, in what turned out to be a blessing in disguise I have met someone utterly fantastic and I''m hoping to give it another try (hopefully with a happier outcome!).

I''ve realized that although I put a lot of effort into finding what I thought was a great stone (a 1 carat SI-1 G), I can''t in good conscience give my gal a ring that was originally bought with someone else in mind. Maybe not the most pragmatic approach but I feel she deserves better than this.

All that said, what I''m hoping to do now is upgrade to something bigger and better (maybe around 1.5 carats or so). Ideally I''d like to find a jeweler who would be willing to accept the stone I have now, plus additional cash, in order to upgrade to something better. (I''ve moved cities so the original jeweler I bought the stone from is not accessible to me, nor does he offer exchanges anyway.)

I don''t expect to recover the full value of what I originally paid, but I''m hoping that a jeweler might be willing to give me most of the value if I''m prepared to spend a bunch of extra money at his/her store. I did get two appraisals done (which agree), so in theory the jeweler should be able to "exchange with confidence".

Does anyone know if it''s realistic to hope to find a jeweller like this? I live in the Calgary, Canada so if anyone''s got a recommendation for a local shop that would be great. Hopefully you good folks can help me get hitched!

Thanks in advance,

Mark

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
My friend has dealt with Alberta Diamond Exchange and I heard they are willing to accept diamond as trade-in towards the new purchase.. You can give them a try...
1.gif

Mark_B

Rough_Rock
Off to a great start, thanks! Any additional suggestions from folks out there?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Try Fleetwood Jewellers.

Do you have any certification for the diamond or a recent appraisal? If not, I can recommend a good appraiser in town.

cheers--Sharon

Mark_B

Rough_Rock
Hi Sharon,

I do have a certification (2 actually!) but I''d still be interested in the referral; I''ll have to get the new stone I buy appraised as well before handing over the cash.

Thanks!

Mark

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/25/2009 11:08:56 PM
Author: Mark_B
Hi Sharon,

I do have a certification (2 actually!) but I''d still be interested in the referral; I''ll have to get the new stone I buy appraised as well before handing over the cash.

Thanks!

Mark
HI Mark:

The appraisers are: International Gemological Labs. Ltd. (403) 264 8526.
I''ve used them many times and am happy with their service.

cheers--Sharon

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mark

Congratulations on your forthcoming engagement from another Calgarian.

You might try asking Llyn Strelau at Jewels By Design. I don''t know if he accepts trades, but he would certainly be a good person to talk to as he''s been making jewellery here in town for about 25 years I believe. I believe he''s not in the store until Thursday this week.

Good Luck

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 10:04:20 AM
Author: canuk-gal

Hi Sharon,

Thanks!

Mark
HI Mark:

cheers--Sharon
Sharon, do IGL appraise loose gemstones? BTW, did you see Roger Dery''s 32 ct morganite over on Coloured Stones?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2009 10:57:46 AM
Author: Gailey

Date: 5/26/2009 10:04:20 AM
Author: canuk-gal

Hi Sharon,

Thanks!

Mark
HI Mark:

cheers--Sharon
Sharon, do IGL appraise loose gemstones? BTW, did you see Roger Dery''s 32 ct morganite over on Coloured Stones?
HI:

I cannot imagine why not, but it is worth a call to check.

Yes Gailey, I saw that Morganite--oh to die 4! BTW, I was at the Farmers Market on Sunday....and missed you.....
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

Mark_B

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 10:54:07 AM
Author: Gailey
Hi Mark

Congratulations on your forthcoming engagement from another Calgarian.

You might try asking Llyn Strelau at Jewels By Design. I don''t know if he accepts trades, but he would certainly be a good person to talk to as he''s been making jewellery here in town for about 25 years I believe. I believe he''s not in the store until Thursday this week.

Good Luck

Thanks Gailey, both for the good wishes and the referral! The store is very close to where I work so I''ll have to pop in there over lunch one day. There''s sure some nice pieces displayed on the gallery on his website!

Thanks also to Sharon for the referral.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results