shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to consign a 2.8 carat old mine cut ring?

eiger

Rough_Rock
Hi, I posted this in the antique jewelry forum - but then I realized that perhaps it would be better to post here since it is really a diamond question.

I have a 2.8 ct old cut stone in a custom (non-original) setting. The setting came from and is marked by a very upscale local jeweler. It could be either an engagement ring or a cocktail ring. My husband bought me a beautiful ring last year - and so I no longer wear this one. I don't have a certificate for the center stone, just an appraisal form the jeweler who did the setting. The color is a bit warm but still white. Any recommendations for consigning it? Should I have the stone sent to the GIA? Should I have it recut? I was considering consigning online with Fay Cullen www.faycullen.com.. Does anyone have any experience with her? Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Mayk|1451409536|3967912 said:

Another vote for JBG. :wavey:

You might try going to Loupe Troop or Diamond Bistro just to see what's out there. Some of the people who have listings with JBG also have a LT or DB listing directing you to their consigned pieces. Good luck!

angela06

Shiny_Rock
I have had success consigning with Grace. She is very easy to work with and will give you an honest opinion. :)

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I recommend Jewels by Grace as well, all my consignment pieces have sold and pretty quickly too :)

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Was the stone ever graded by GIA? Is their any inscription on the girdle? Being an OMc there probably isn't. GIA doesn't give these cuts favorable ratings for sym, polish, cut etc so it might not be worth grading unless you want to establish the color and clarity. It could be worth contacting someone to recut the stone though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jewels by Grace is great and so is Love Affair Diamonds. Please compare the consignment fees of both. I haven't checked lately, but Love Affair Diamonds used to have the lowest fees. Both of them specialize in antique diamonds and jewelry. They both will likely advise you to pay for a new independent appraisal or GIA lab grading for the diamond. They are hard to sell without an unbiased evaluation.

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for Jewels by Grace here. For me, the higher consignment fee was worth the increased traffic to her website/Instagram/etc.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I sold a ring with Circa Jewels... They gave me the best price I could find!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HegemonyCricket|1451442045|3968210 said:
Another vote for Jewels by Grace here. For me, the higher consignment fee was worth the increased traffic to her website/Instagram/etc.

Pricescope people will see it no matter where she lists it if once it is consigned, she provides pictures and the link here on the Pre-loved forum. Many of us have successfully sold on our own through Loupetroop.com without ANY website or exposure other than a listing here. So I go for the lowest commission or I sell myself. More money in my pocket!

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1451450617|3968288 said:
HegemonyCricket|1451442045|3968210 said:

Pricescope people will see it no matter where she lists it if once it is consigned, she provides pictures and the link here on the Pre-loved forum. Many of us have successfully sold on our own through Loupetroop.com without ANY website or exposure other than a listing here. So I go for the lowest commission or I sell myself. More money in my pocket!

True! I wish I had Grace and Erica's photography skills though. They make everything look amazing! :love:

eiger

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the advice. I suppose I will need to have it graded by gia before consigning it. It's a very beautiful stone and ring, but since it's an old cut, I am concerned about how it will fare. I want to be sure I am representing the stone correctly. Do I need to have the setting graded as well? Is there a way to have a setting graded? I would have to look at the receipt and appraisal, but I believe the setting is close to three carats.
Thanks again for all your help

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
eiger said:
Thanks for all the advice. I suppose I will need to have it graded by gia before consigning it. It's a very beautiful stone and ring, but since it's an old cut, I am concerned about how it will fare. I want to be sure I am representing the stone correctly. Do I need to have the setting graded as well? Is there a way to have a setting graded? I would have to look at the receipt and appraisal, but I believe the setting is close to three carats.
Thanks again for all your help

If you'll be consigning it, the vendor will typically help you with the grading as needed. I recommend asking the vendor about it. Both Grace (Jewels by Grace) and Erica (Love Affair Diamonds) are very knowledgeable and helpful -- I would email them with your questions, and they can advise on how the grading would be handled.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Or you could really easily walk it into the lab if you are close to it...or ship it. With GIA, if you are a first time customer, you will get it back within days then list here and on Loupe troop/Diamond Bistro. If you don't want to list yourself, then Jewels by Grace, Love affair Diamond or Good old Gold are all good options. We are all dying to see pics of course lol. I bought an eternity band years ago from faye Cullen in florida. Very nice pieces but often overpriced in my experience since being on PS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results