shape
carat
color
clarity

where to buy....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
does anyone have some good suggestion on where to buy a small 7-8mm square cushion amethyst? i''m hoping to get a logr setting with one of these bad boys set in it for an rhr.

thanks for the help!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d fly Dan Stair or Barry Bridgestock an email, if you google their names you''ll find their respective sites. I just bought a 7mm cushion setting from LOGR and Dan custom cut a beautiful tourmaline for me. Barry is busy with his website right now but was going to cut me a 7mm amethyst when the site was up and running again, though I then told him I no longer needed it. He probably still has the rough, give him a try!

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
I second emailing Dan! He custom cut a spinel for me and it's just perfect. Exactly what I was after. His prices r pretty reasonable too.
9.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also not rule out multicolour.com I have purchased several inexpensive stones from them. They have been very true to the picture/identification report.

stryeyes102

Shiny_Rock
You could also try Peter Torraca!

He''s really awesome.. I guess im slightly bias, he cut my oval amethyst
9.gif

Heres his website You can also check out his flickr account to see some of his work. I think he mainly does only customs, so you will have to ask him to cut what you want.. Because he doesn''t seem have a huge inventory just sitting around. He is very nice, knows his craft and stays in contact with you throughout the process.

Good luck in your search!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Do you provide gem cutters with a rough stone?

stryeyes102

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/15/2008 2:23:34 PM
Author: CharmyPoo

I believe most faceters would rather purchase the rough themselves, from their known merchants. Simply because they know what to look for in the rough. Normal everyday people might not know certain things to look for; cracks, inclusions and such, which may hinder faceting. So the facter will most likely purchase the stone to be custom cut for you.

*No harm meant to anyone! I know some people do know a huge amount about stones and could do this on their own*
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/15/2008 2:23:34 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
No, it''s best that the cutter gets their own rough and many prefer it that way. It takes lots of experience and a good eye to buy the correct rough to get the colour the client is looking for, that can be cut into the right shape without too much weight loss, has enough carat weight to begin with to get the needed final size, and be able to spot and work around any inclusion in the rough. Not an easy task at all and thankfully many cutters absorb that risk.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks for the resources ladies! i will be sure to let you know what i come up with!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever you do, be careful and buy amethyst from a reputable dealer. There''s a lot of synthetic amethyst floating around that is vitually indistinguishable from natural amethyst. You have lots of great suggestions here!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results