shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy Untreated Sapphire for Engagement Ring

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
Where should I look online for an untreated blue sapphire up to $3,000 or so for an engagement ring?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At that budget, I think you may be better off with a heat-only with a decent report.

There are a million unheateds out there that fit your criteria -- but I don't know if there are many well-suited to an e-ring. As you know, unheated is not better and is often worse in terms of transparency and evenness of color, etc.

Buying a new unheated stone can be more expensive than buying a vintage ring. Assuming you are willing to commit a few $K to the mounting, you may get a much better value from a vintage unheated.

Maybe poke around a few vintage vendors. Berganza is all untreated and, while spendy, they have some in the 2k - 4K range:

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 1.42.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 1.45.26 PM.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/ has a huge inventory.
I've never bought a sapphire from any vendor, but DO I love to fantasy-window shop there.

I don't recall the details, but I've read some negative things about Natural Sapphire Co. here on PS.
Perhaps someone will post some details.
That, or do a search here and/or on Google.

Last edited:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Swirl68 What size and shape are you looking for? Shade of blue? What quality are you not willing to sacrifice?

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
She really wants one that is not treated. She would like a medium blue and would like it to be at carat, but willing to go smaller to get an untreated one. She's open to any shape really, except marquis. She really likes cushion, round, asscher, and oval.

She's willing to sacrifice on just about anything except treatment. She's not real fond of dark blue.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not promoting them, but to get an idea of the very wide range of colors of blue sapphires, look at Natural Sapphire Co.'s website.

Also keep in mind a zillion things about photography and lighting can drastically change how any gem looks at various vendors looks on your screen.
That's why when considering which vendor to buy from I'd do a search here of accuracy of vendors' photo accuracy.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of unheated sapphires if you’re happy to buy from Asia (better prices, better stock levels, can get almost any report you want)

They are happy to provide additional photos and don’t be shy to ask for a discount. They can also make any ring you want from scratch.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, it's harder to find an ideal color when the stone isn't heated, especially on a budget because unheated = $$. But definitely recommend looking at gemfix

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
At that budget, I think you may be better off with a heat-only with a decent report.

There are a million unheateds out there that fit your criteria -- but I don't know if there are many well-suited to an e-ring. As you know, unheated is not better and is often worse in terms of transparency and evenness of color, etc.

Buying a new unheated stone can be more expensive than buying a vintage ring. Assuming you are willing to commit a few $K to the mounting, you may get a much better value from a vintage unheated.

Maybe poke around a few vintage vendors. Berganza is all untreated and, while spendy, they have some in the 2k - 4K range:

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 1.42.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 1.45.26 PM.png

Agree 100%

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Last edited:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also prefer unheated, and think you've been shown some great options! The stone from Finewater is beautiful! I've worked with Gary and Jason, and have never been disappointed. I also have beautiful stones from Starlanka.
You can also reach out to DesertRose_Gems on Instagram and see if she's going to Tucson and can source one for you there. She's fabulous at finding stones at the show!

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Not sure if this is too dark; but see what she thinks of this ring. All in under $3k.

1705141059096.jpeg

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much!!! We had no idea where to even start for a sapphire.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
NabatiJewelry has a bunch of blue sapphire, and they can source stones. https://www.etsy.com/listing/143666...-1-4&pro=1&frs=1&cns=1&organic_search_click=1

Adamant does as well, and they have more stones in their inventory, as well.

It's worth contacting all of them!

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were in the market for an unheated Sapphire, I would contact Jeff White to see if he has anything suitable in his vast inventory of roughs first, providing him with an idea of colour, cut shape and size and budget.

If nothing fits my requirement, then I would ask him to look for a suitable stone or rough at Tucson gem shows which he will be attending very soon!

DK :))

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphires by creation often have rutile inclusions. This can make them look a little “cloudy” which is why they are often heat treated to improve clarity.
if you want unheated you need to make sure you have a reputable lab certificate because otherwise how can you be sure.
be aware of carat weight. Sapphire is a dense gem so you get a smaller size for x carats. By this I mean a 1 carat round diamond is about 6.5mm diameter while a 1 carat sapphire will be under 6mm.
check measurements. Some sapphires have “big underneaths”, this increases carat weight and price but it’s sapphire you can’t see when you look at the ring.
blue sapphires come in many hues and tones. Lighter hues will give you sparkle, deeper hues need vividness otherwise they look lifeless. There are also colour modifiers ie being greenish or grayish or purplish.
colour and desirability affect price. Vivid mid blue is considered ideal and will be more expensive. For better value I would go lighter and have some sparkle.
when it comes to an actual ring, there are ”stock” settings that will fit a set size and shape of gem and these are better priced. If you go the “made to order” ring it will be more expensive.
finally check the return conditions of your vender, keeping in mind shipping and insurance both ways will be your responsibility even if they accept returns. Ask for lots of photos and a video before committing. Trust me, they always look more fabulous on the website than they do in real life.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow so many amazing options in this thread. I really hope you get one of them and please update us when you choose!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results