shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy in Thailand?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I am going back to Thailand soon. I purchased my original diamond ering from a high-end store there, but this time would like to look into purchasing some coloured stones. Probably just one or two larger ones, but depending on prices maybe more..

Has anybody ever bought coloured gems in Bangkok or other areas of Thailand, and can you suggest any reputable vendors? Is there a professional body or Gem Society that I could use for research..?
I know they have a large reputation for gems, but my knowledge is very low, so I will need to find vendors that can be trusted..

thankyou in advance for any advice!
face1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Geez! 31 views and not one bite! I guess no one has purchased in thailand..?
33.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess not. But, people have purchased from these vendors, who are based in Thailand. Give them a call and see if they accept walk-ins:
www.ajsgems.com
www.multicolour.com
I''m not sure if they''re in Thailand, but take a look at:
www.wildfishgems.com

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
The advice I have heard is don''t buy anything of value unless you really know what you are doing. Too many rip offs and not enough deals to make it worth it for most buyers.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
I have heard the same from my friend who lived in Bangkok for several years - she did say there are nice deals on gold jewelry but that you had to be careful with gemstones and the like. When are you going??

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I second what Harriet wrote and wanted to add Gemcal.com. They don''t have much on the web site because mostly they sell to other dealers. David is really cool. He is in San Francisco twice a year selling so I have met him and seen his stuff. They have lots and lots of spinel.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
arjuna, BKK is like my second home and I know a lot of people and places there. But not only would I never buy colored stones there, my independent appraiser also once advised me to not buy there as well. Why? Because the sim market is constantly refining and redefining itself and it is way too easy to overpay for fake or highly treated stones - and the sim/treated community is always one step ahead of the jewelry community in terms of finding ways to fool buyers. Even my appraiser, who's very well respected amongst the appraisal community, said even he is wary when going there. He said unless you know very very well what you're doing and you're carrying a kit with all the tools, gadgets and chemicals for testing stones, you shouldn't do it. It's way too risky. The only things I'd buy there are pearls - because I know what I'm looking at with pearls - and diamonds but only from one specific dealer, and even then, their prices for diamonds are sky high so...I haven't bought diamonds from them for that reason.

Please, if you buy there, buy non-expensive items and pay an amount that, if you come home and find it's sim or treated, you wont really be too bummed out about it. Other than that, enjoy my adopted homeland...it's a wonderful place to be!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The closer you are to a gemstone''s natural source, the more chance you have of buying a synthetic.

I would be prepared to buy a stone or two in Bangkok, but I would take a full kit of equipment and a budget I could afford to lose and call it a Practical Assignment!
9.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Actually in Bangkok you'd have access to GRS and AIGS which are good labs. I'm not sure how that part is so much different than buying here. However the logistics of paying by cash or wire for something nice might be difficult.

I've heard that given current economic factors that pricing and availability there isn't so great now. Without knowing the right folks there I wonder if you wouldn't be better of buying here in many cases.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou all so much for your responses. I''m glad people said what maybe they were thinking but didn''t want to post - she''s gonna get ripped!
Like I said, I have no experience in buying coloured gems so i will take all of your advice to heart and probably leave well enough alone.
Shame though
7.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2008 8:23:29 AM
Author: Harriet
I guess not. But, people have purchased from these vendors, who are based in Thailand. Give them a call and see if they accept walk-ins:
www.ajsgems.com
www.multicolour.com
I''m not sure if they''re in Thailand, but take a look at:
www.wildfishgems.com
TY Harriet, I will definately look into these vendors and see where they are located.
I guess I''m just trying to get a lil shopping done in person while on hols instead of always on the net - you know, the experience and all
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Cheers Neatfreak, babysteps and innerkitten for your advice.

Surf, I didn''t know you''re practically a resident of THI! Of course, I have heard of the gemscams there and simulants in general - I was just hoping some wiley PS''ers may have found some trustable vendors too - seems overwhelmingly no
7.gif

I hear what you are saying about being concerned about buying there - however, like I mentioned I did buy my original diamond 3stone ering from there a number of years ago. I did quite a bit of research into where to shop, and was very happy with the price and product.
I made a decision to purchase as the same ring would''ve cost me about double in Australia, plus thats where Fi and I got engaged
5.gif
I have had it appraised and everything checks out
1.gif

But I definately have zilch experience with coloured gems, so I guess I may just do some browsing and buy off the net when I get home..

Thankyou SG for your input, I will post a thread closer to when I am leaving, if you have any great suggestions of things to do /places to see I''d love to hear them!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Pandora, TY for your input, I was hoping you would chime in.

Elmo, I'm in Australia, not in US, and all jewellery is very expensive here, which is why I was hoping to buy in THI. I understand its probably safer and easier for you guys in the US to just buy at home.

Thankyou everybody who gave your advice. I might have to just look and not touch while there!
40.gif
1.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Arjuna, no problem...But if Harriet''s contacts check out, that might be the only way I''d buy over there. As I said, my guy here is an expert and he said even he''s been fooled because that''s how good the fakes are and they''re always one step ahead of the detection tools so...and if you aren''t an expert in colored stones, there''s too many things that can go wrong. Let''s take "treated" or "untreated"...you might be using language to mean one thing but your vendor thinks you mean something else. My appraiser has told me he''s seen way too many couples go on holiday to Thailand and buy a sapphire for their engagement ring, thinking they''re getting a deal, and only to find upon returning home that the stone appraises for much less than they paid for it. Or it''s a good sim. Or it''s treated. Take your pick. My friend over there is quite wealthy and her family has jewelers they''ve used forever but honestly, I dont think they really know what "treated" means let alone to ask so I wouldn''t even take their jewelers word for it on what they were selling...The other thing to keep in mind is that unless you really love that dark navy color, buying genuine untreated Thai sapphires just dont look that great, IMO. The ones that have that lovely electric blue or cornflower blue but are sold as Thai in origin seem to be heat treated to bring out that color. Cambodian sapphires are the same navy color...Maybe you should go to Sri Lanka instead and look into getting some of those yummy colored sapphires!
31.gif
Naw...you could probably get a better deal in NYC...seriously...

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 2:55:20 AM
Author: surfgirl
Arjuna, no problem...But if Harriet''s contacts check out, that might be the only way I''d buy over there. As I said, my guy here is an expert and he said even he''s been fooled because that''s how good the fakes are and they''re always one step ahead of the detection tools so...and if you aren''t an expert in colored stones, there''s too many things that can go wrong. Let''s take ''treated'' or ''untreated''...you might be using language to mean one thing but your vendor thinks you mean something else. My appraiser has told me he''s seen way too many couples go on holiday to Thailand and buy a sapphire for their engagement ring, thinking they''re getting a deal, and only to find upon returning home that the stone appraises for much less than they paid for it. Or it''s a good sim. Or it''s treated. Take your pick. My friend over there is quite wealthy and her family has jewelers they''ve used forever but honestly, I dont think they really know what ''treated'' means let alone to ask so I wouldn''t even take their jewelers word for it on what they were selling...The other thing to keep in mind is that unless you really love that dark navy color, buying genuine untreated Thai sapphires just dont look that great, IMO. The ones that have that lovely electric blue or cornflower blue but are sold as Thai in origin seem to be heat treated to bring out that color. Cambodian sapphires are the same navy color...Maybe you should go to Sri Lanka instead and look into getting some of those yummy colored sapphires!
31.gif
Naw...you could probably get a better deal in NYC...seriously...
lol, I hear ya. And also, of course, the language barrier could present a huge issue. Like you said, they may not even know if their stones are treated or what that means, let alone have the same understanding of it as myself.
I think I will stick to just having some fun and take some tours of a couple of the gem centres/factories for interests'' sake - if I spend $50 along the way and find out they''re treated, no biggy.

But I will save my serious coloured gem purchase for here I guess. These amazingly cut asschers are just too good to ignore!

I will still be interested to buy some gold bracelets, earrings etc, so perhaps closer to the date I can find out some of your friend''s trusted jewellers..

5.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Be careful on those factory tours dear...They''re REALLY hard sell in those places as their whole goal is to get you to buy something!

One thing I did buy there was a bracelet (which I gave to my sister). It''s like DBTY, but with sapphires and yellow gold chain, spaced quite close together. Things like that, with very small stones might be okay. Not more than $100 USD and no biggie of its fakey fake, right?
31.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 11:26:57 AM
Author: surfgirl
Be careful on those factory tours dear...They're REALLY hard sell in those places as their whole goal is to get you to buy something!

One thing I did buy there was a bracelet (which I gave to my sister). It's like DBTY, but with sapphires and yellow gold chain, spaced quite close together. Things like that, with very small stones might be okay. Not more than $100 USD and no biggie of its fakey fake, right?
31.gif
Ok, cheers for the info. It was more from an interest rather than shopping POV - don't worry though, I have travelled throughout SE Asia all my life and am very cool with saying no to the good ol hard sell, lol!

Thats exactly how I'm thinking - this trip is being funded by a healthy (bonus) tax return, so I won't be totally devastated if I buy some trinkets that aren't top-notch. Just a bit o fun, you know what shopping is like there - everythings' a gamble really!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results