shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy high quality ultrasonics!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
I know there are a lot of "junk" ultrasonic cleaners for sale out there, I was wondering if anyone knows where to buy a good one, that is still reasonably priced? Also if anyone has bought any ultrasonics could you tells about them and if you like or dislike them?

Thanks

Greentree

Rough_Rock
Try
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/61323.asp

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
http://jewel.quiknet.com/noframes/cleaners.htm
I have the 1 quart. I wish I had the 3 quart to also clean larger gun parts. But the 1 quart can do a lot of things if you take them apart.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Can anyone give me a comparison of the different ultrasonics as far as they can tell from looking at the websites?

There are the two already mentioned above and more jewelry cleaners at this site.

http://jewel.quiknet.com/noframes/jewelrycleaning.htm

Thanks

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
The good ones claim to sweep the frequency and that eliminated dead spots, they say.

The good ones have heat. You can fill them with hot water, so it may not be that important -- but I use the heat on mine. The water from the sink goes in cold or warm and when I come back to it it is almost too hot to reach into.

The Branson looks great but not sure who sells them at a discount. The GemOro is about $100 less for any given size.

I bought a cheap $10 basket made from chrome plated steel. Now I wish I got the $30 stainless steel one that fits properly.

I also wish I got a 3/4 gallon (3 quart) model 9 inches wide to put larger items in.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I sell an ultrasonic long enough for a bracelet. It comes with dual baskets for large or small pieces although I also carry fine mesh tea strainers for pieces with very small stones.

You use hot water and a little Mr. Clean. When you are done, just oss the cleaning agent away. While jewelers like heated units, for consumers all you need is hot water for occasional use.

My wife uses her small ultrasonic at least twice a week and it has never caused a problem or needed to be a heavy duty one like we use in our shop.

scaasi

Rough_Rock
Our ultrasnic is great and will do the job perfectly! Ideal for home use with efficient solid state circuitry and a three minute auto off timer as well as Stainless-Steel tub. Includes plastic basket and cover and a cleaning solution. Capacity- 600ml.

http://dimendscaasi.com/Accessories.htm

scaasi

:appl:

Rook

Shiny_Rock
What do you guys feel is important to consider when comparing different ultrasonics? Intensity, heat, size??? Can you guys give me some details about the ultrasonics you sell? The one at Hammacher above has 42,000 Hz wave frequency. Is that good and how does that compare to what Dave and Scaasi have?

Dave I notice that you also sell a non-ultrasonic for use on all jewelry including the softer gems. How well does this work on diamonds?

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
Heat is not that important for home use - just fill it with hot tap water.

A pro wants to keep it hot all the time so they can pop things in and out of it.

Either get a small home one for $65, $100, or more. Or get a large one and be able to clean other things. Those are $180 (1 quart), $300 (3 quart) $600 (real large).

I am not sure if the one that sweet frequency are important. Probably somewhat as it helps reduce dead spots like microwave ovens sometimes have.

Gator

Rough_Rock
Anyone have any experience with the Branson 200 Ultrasonic?

Acclaim

Rough_Rock
Windex or anything with ammonia works fine. My problem is how do you dry that Windex or cleaning solution? If you leave it to dry on a cloth, it will leave a thin film of cleaning solution on the table (seen with a loupe). If you try to dry it with a cloth (the one I use to clean eye glasses) it will leave small lints around the prongs of the setting.

When a jeweller use pressured steam to clean your ring, it looks glassy clean and spottless. But when I try to rinse my ring in a hot boiling kettle, it also leave a baked film of something on the stone. Does anyone know how to get it spottlessly clean?

Thanks

gem_biz

Rough_Rock
Hey Guys,
I've been a bench jeweler for over 15 years and have used Bransonic, Elma and other sonic cleaners over the years. We use the 3 guart size and they run 8 hours each day. The one brand that has worked best for the longest time is the L&R. Bransonics are good but wear out within a few years, Elma developes pitting in the bottom of the stainless bath and the heater sometimes is non functional.The one pictured at the top of this page:

http://www.lrultrasonics.com/industries/jewelry/quantrex.html

is what I'm talking about.
What I have found is that the fancy wave patterns don't matter much. They all work well at cleaning. More important is one that works when you turn it on. And keeps working. You can buy them from Stuller, Swest etc.
Do a search - lots of people carry them.

We do tons of repair work and these are real work horses.

gem_biz

Rough_Rock
quote:Does anyone know how to get it spottlessly clean?

Try using boiling distilled water to rinse? But the only way I know to really get a diamond clean enough to grade is with a steamer - and even then you may have to use a needle or something similar to see whether the speck is outside or inside the stone. Very tedious work!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results