shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy cheap semi mount?

Brunette

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!
I have a loose 1.13 carat (~6.6mm) diamond that I'd like to stick in a cheap temp setting while I figure out what to do with it long-term. Would like to find a tall/high 6-prong solitaire, 14k is fine. I poked around eBay but didn't see anything that caught my eye and my local jeweler surprisingly only carried 4-prong stock settings.
Anyone know where I might be able to find something that fits the bill?
Also, would you recommend going with a setting made for a 1 carat or 1.25 carat? I'm not sure which direction to go if I like a taller look and don't want the diamond sitting too low in the head.
Thanks!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know what you mean by “cheap” but check Stuller. Plenty of reasonable solitaires and all jewelers have access to them.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost any jeweler will have a nice but basic solitaire mounting.

Brunette

Rough_Rock
Thanks @SimoneDi and @marcy! I didn't have luck with the first local jeweler so that was discouraging, but hopefully I'll have better luck at another.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where is the stone from?

ETA: I’d contact IDJewelry and ask them what they have in stock. They can usually offer even lower prices on mountings that they have in stock. I’d give them your budget and have them send you options.

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you okay with a preloved setting? If so, have you checked loupetroop.com & diamondbistro.com? Folks often list settings on there for sale. Also, maybe place a ‘want to buy’ posting in the preview section on PS.

Brunette

Rough_Rock
Where is the stone from?

ETA: I’d contact IDJewelry and ask them what they have in stock. They can usually offer even lower prices on mountings that they have in stock. I’d give them your budget and have them send you options.

It's my mother's diamond. Thanks for the tip about IDJ! I'll reach out, doesn't hurt to try!

Thanks @the_mother_thing! I've been checking on and off but haven't tried a WTB post yet!

Brunette

Rough_Rock
Oh great, thanks so much @Swirl68, I had no idea what the ballpark was so this is super helpful!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's my mother's diamond. Thanks for the tip about IDJ! I'll reach out, doesn't hurt to try!
Lovely! We’d love pics =)2

P.S. if you look for pre-loved, I’d look for a setting in your or close to your size. Sometimes with resizing, retipping the prongs and setting the stone, a simple pre-loved setting might end up costing more than expected.

Last edited:

Brunette

Rough_Rock
@SimoneDi it's in our safe deposit box, but here's an old pic from my phone! It's not well cut at all :boohoo: and I haven't a clue on color/clarity, but it brings me back to a simpler time when I was just a little girl staring at mommy's sparkly ring!
113.jpg

Last edited:

Brunette

Rough_Rock
So I heard back from IDJ and they have this:

Price would be almost $600 after shipping/tax (including setting the diamond). It's higher than I expected, but maybe I need to adjust my expectations. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I heard back from IDJ and they have this:

Price would be almost $600 after shipping/tax (not sure if that includes setting the diamond, I've asked to confirm). It's higher than I expected, but maybe I need to adjust my expectations. What do you guys think?
Is this plat? If yes, then the price is reasonable, if no, then $600 is a bit high imo. Also, lovely stone and history behind it!

Brunette

Rough_Rock
@SimoneDi no just 14k
I do live in CA where taxes are high, it's $545 pre-tax.

And thanks! Hopefully if this baby ever gets mounted I can actually take a few decent pics :lol-2:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s cheap?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi no just 14k
I do live in CA where taxes are high, it's $545 pre-tax.

And thanks! Hopefully if this baby ever gets mounted I can actually take a few decent pics :lol-2:
I am surprised, that’s high for a 14kt. Not sure where exactly you are, but DK can source any of the stuller solitaires. Just to give you an idea, one of my prior diamonds was set in a 14kt 4-prong soli and that was around $325 (same cost for a 6-prong).

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stuller has some nice settings but will be more than this ring I linked below which I really like for a simple ring. They list the shank as 1.9mm which is a nice size. Nikki1415 is right, Ivy And Rose has some cheap settings. I'd ask how much the setting was in platinum just for curiosity sake. For $225 it's most likely 14K. I don't know how much they charge to set stones so be sure to ask them that.

https://ivyandrose.com/products/rou...ng-setting-white-gold-vintage-solitaire-10653

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got a pre owned 6 prong setting from a high end pawn shop, I used it as a temp setting and had no issues.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be aware that you'll also have a setting fee and probably a sizing fee. It may benefit you to bundle these together. Ask. If you buy used, there may be other restoration issues as well.

Last edited:

Brunette

Rough_Rock
Ooo thanks so much, @Niel -- I really like that!!

appl3

Rough_Rock
I am also looking to find a nice plain solitaire band too. I found some in Manhattan. However, there is a setting fee that you need to consider as well. $600 for a 14kt band is wayy too expensive. You can probably get a platinum band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results