shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy alexandrite?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkie621

Rough_Rock
Just out of curiosity, I''m not necessarily buying any.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My local jeweller has some on hand and can source others for me. Your local jeweller might be able to do the same. For online sources, I''d trust Cherrypicked, Wink Jones, Gary @ Diamondexperts. I''m sure there are other online vendors who can find them for you too but these I''ve personally worked with. I''ve also seen some Alex at AwesomeGems and MineralMiners.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

acstones and Richard Wise.

cheers--Sharon

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
Years ago I bought a nice alex from multicolour.com and more recently, a ring for my daugher from Yeloroz, I think is the name, on eBay. Both stones show a russian type colour change from teal green to reddish purple, and the ring was well made. Also on EBay, dealmastershon has brazilian alexandrite off and on, of very nice grade, generally with a peridot green to orange red colour change.

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
I actually purchased a Brazilian one from DSN (Direct Shopping Network) and I LOVE it, but you have to be careful with them. You really need to be an expert on what to look for when shopping from a tv monitor, and they had several duds
14.gif
among the winners. The reason I got it from them is that it''s so hard to find a good one and the price was excellent.

I was so lucky, only $425 for a 1.05 ct gem that is an inky blue/teal in sunlight (like an indicolite tourmaline), green/yellow in flourescent light (my ugly office light) and an amethyst purple in incandescent light. It''s eye clean, no inclusions, even under 10x and it has nice cut proportions and it sparkles!! I figured that if it wasn''t the greatest, at least I didn''t spend a fortune on it. Most alex is horrendously ugly, even for expensive stones, so I''m truly happy. Most are included and cut badly. Also stay way from the ones that color change from yellow to brown. You want a green base that changes to purple or reddish purple, or if you''re really lucky, true red.

The fun thing is that with an alex, you never tire of looking at it since it''s like having several gemstones in one. I also have a 20 pt Russian alex that I purchased from a rock hound over ten years ago (he traded it for a dinosaur tooth from someone else). It''s totally different. It''s pine green in daylight and deep red in any incandescent light, no matter what the source. Too bad it''s only 20 points.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results