shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy a nice antique/ vintage diamond ring

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
Hello! I’m currently scouring the Internet for a nice antique diamond ( preferably old cut solitaire) diamond ring.

I don't mind a slight inclusion ect.

Also looking for a nice sized stone, I’m currently wearing a 1.00 carat solitaire. So looking to upgrade from that.

I have a budget of £4000 , not sure if I’m going to get anything with that budget.

Any suggestions on where to start? Or the best online place to find them? I did try etsy but kept getting mossiante ect.

Advice is muchly appreciated

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Are you looking for an antique diamond, or an antique diamond + antique setting?
Do you like certain time periods, like Edwardian, Art Deco, etc.? There are so many styles to choose from!

Admittedly your budget for over 1 carat is going to be tricky.

A few places to look (I am afraid these are based in the USA, so need to factor that in)

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I'd pay attention to measurements not just carat weight - for example this is 1.14CT, but shows face-up almost the same size as my 1.3CT diamond

It is also a lower color, which at your budget will be necessary to hit the size target I'd guess

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/colle...-transitional-cut-diamond-solitaire-gia-n-vs2

It is slightly over budget and a warmer color - not sure if that is desirable to you

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/colle...ts/1-27ct-old-european-cut-diamond-bezel-ring

This is not a true antique setting and it is listed as private sale, but I think it is beautiful and a great price for such a stone

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...d-ring-in-dk-uber-bench-antique-repro-setting

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I'll respond more in detail later, but I did want to say that Old World Diamonds has multiple benches and they can custom make a setting for you and also, Adam will look through his loose mountings from old pieces to see if he has anything that would fit a stone that you are purchasing if you would like an antique mounting. His bench can then set the stone and rehab as needed.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Based in the UK:

He also has a website. It's been awhile since I've bought from him, but I think if you email him to let him know what you are looking for, he may have additional offerings.

Also worth a look. They also may be able to help you find something that's not listed.

Does not have a website, but if you look at Instagram you can get an idea of what she has. Likely has additional inventory not posted.

I also find looking at past jewelry show directories helpful.

This is the directory of vendors that exhibited at the Miami Beach antique show in 2020.

You can look and see who else might be based in the UK to contact.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello @Isobel a fellow Brit pricescoper here :wavey: I would highly recommend Sue White and John Joseph at John Joseph Antiques at Greys antique market in London (closest tube Bond street) they have some amazing stuff and very good prices. He has an Instagram @John.Joseph.antiques.London its the best way to see what he has in as he is ready to sell it. I would really recommend going to see his stall in person. This is where I bought my OEC and old mine cut Victorian cluster earrings. TBH the whole antique market has some great finds and it’s always best to see in person.

I also bought a large (well by British standards not pricescope standards) old cut in Birmingham 18 months ago at the pawnbrokers on corporation street. His website is abysmal but he occasionally has some great old cuts.

I’d also have a look at butterlane Antiques on Instagram. The prices are a bit high, but they do offer some GIA stones. Just had a quick look and there is nothing over a carat on the site at the minute. Full disclosure I have not bought anything from them, but there is something on the website i fancy ;-)

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
Thankyou!! I will check them all out! Soooo many out there! Lol

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello, another UK pricescoper here! I would totally totally recommend going to Greys Antiques as @RosieR says it’s amazing. I would additionally recommend these Greys dealers - Anders Kaae (who is hilarious and I have bought from) and Wimpole Antiques (who I have not but on two separate visits she has been nothing but delightful and her stock is amazing).
However I think you may be disappointed at what your money can buy you. I had a budget of 7k a few years ago and I could only find two diamond rings at Greys that I liked/could afford. One was at John Joseph but it did not have anywhere near a 1 carat centre stone and the other was at another dealer, it was over a carat but it was a low colour which clashed with a badly done repro setting and ultimately I left it.
There is only one UK dealer who I see that gets good pieces in at a lower price. There is not a huge amount of stock but there are two rings atm with over 1 carat centre stones in budget. I have bought from her before.
https://carolefranks.com/
7491BA92-A998-42EC-969C-871317160822.jpeg
E7C43981-6BC0-43B9-B729-F56BC704FFD7.jpeg
There is not much info on her website but she is very responsive so I would email her if either of those interest you.
There are plenty of UK dealers who have lovely diamond rings but very few at over a carat for less than £5500/£6000.
Another option would be to buy in the US and take the hit on the import duty. That’s what I did as ultimately I felt it offered more opinions and better value.
Good luck with your search!

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In London: Berganza

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results