shape
carat
color
clarity

Where is this beautiful setting from???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marv117

Rough_Rock
I saw this pic in the ''Show me the ring'' section and I really like this setting:

eight5.jpg

please help me find the original source/maker/company.

Thanks!

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
That looks like maaaaybe a Mark Morrell piece? I can't be sure though.

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
Cassandra's right!

Here's a thread w/ a little info:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/does-anyone-recognize-this-setting.6230/

marv117

Rough_Rock
thanks for the prompt replies!

I guess, if i read it right, it's a custom design. Does this mean you cant buy it anywhere?

Also, I can't seem to find Mark Morell's website...does he even have one?

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
I don't know about the first question, but here is his website.

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/

marv117

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 5/29/2003 9:47
6.gif
3 PM Cassandra wrote:

I don't know about the first question, but here is his website.

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/
----------------

awesome! that's such a great setting...i wonder how much he charges.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is another one that is very similar to the one you posted. This is by Mark Morrell as well...it may be in the thread that someone else posted for you to look at. I love both of these personally...and if I ever have another ring made, I would love to have something similar to these.

Jason-fin01.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
And one more from a different angle. You can see the head of the ring here and how it holds the stone. Beautiful!
1.gif

Jason-fin04.jpg

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Hi marv117

That's my ring! Mark's prices are definitely not cheap but his work is absolutely worth it. My ring is solid and heavy, but has a fluidity that I have not seen in other rings. It actually looks quite delicate when it's on my finger. Mark is the best and he really makes dreams come true.

Good luck!

Pic00010a.jpg

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Hi Cass!
wavey.gif

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
Heya!
1.gif

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Marv,

This setting looks pretty like the one I just gave to my fiance... I think the
stones on the side are pavé set. It is NOT the one presented by Mara : this one
is a basket setting while the one you have presented looks more like a "V" 4 prongs
traditional style. The setting I bought cost me 500$US with 20 points of VS,G diamonds.
However you'll have to come here in Montreal to get it.

Trichrome.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Trichrome,

I was going to disagree with you, but I took a closer look and it looks like you may are right about only having 4 prongs. They look like claw prongs though, not V. Not sure about pave set, looks like channel, but hard to tell for sure. It looks more like the Morell piece may have been inspired by this one but made with a six prong basket. Either way, it's a beautiful ring.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one that I posted has 6 prongs in a style that reminds me somewhat of the Vatche Royal Crown look. The 4 prong one is more V shaped prongs but they are not sharp at the ends like many 4 pronged styles I have seen. Definitely more rounded.

1.gif
Both are beautiful. I believe the stones on the side are pave as well or 'bead set' as an older term.

marv117

Rough_Rock
Do you think a princess cut would look as beautiful as a round cut on this setting? What would you prefer?

As for the price, is $1500-2000 range correct for this setting? or would it be more?

Trichrome:
$500 is a wonderful price..but is there a way for me to purchase it w/out going to montreal? hehehe =P do you have pictures of yours? I would love to compare similarities. Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a round fan, princess cut stones tend to leak alot of light and look dead white to me. You can find an excellently cut princess but its harder and you will need to be very picky (e.g. no super thick girdle). IMO rounds are easier to find well cut stones within...but the love of a princess cut IS a preference....what do you think your girl would prefer?

marv117

Rough_Rock
I don't think she has a set preference..although we've seen beautiful princess cut rings with sidestones. She really liked it but she hasn't seen a lot of other settings. After some conversation with her about her preference, she actually wasn't sure.

For the most part, she actually likes my taste in a lot of things so I'm pretty confident that she'll like whatever i choose.

BTW, I probably wont be buying anytime soon..but definitely with 6-12months..I'm just education myself and ofcourse saving more money =D ...by then, I hope to be semi-expert in diamonds.
naughty.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh you'll be an expert all right!!! After a few months you will be hooked and she will start to complain that you are spending all your time online with diamond 'weirdos'. Hee Hee.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
OMG Mara, that's so true. A friend here a work used to say that to me.

Who does make the setting on the ring Mara posted, I like the basket setting.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's Mark Morrell also, Lanee...they are both MM. Thats why they look so similar! I love the work.

Boom

Shiny_Rock

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I love love love the ring that Mara posted and at one pointed contacted Mark Morrell about making the same setting without diamonds on the shank. Unfortunately, I thought the price he quoted me was too high (~$2000), esp. because I didn't want diamonds on the side and I figured since he had the mold already, it really wasn't a real custom made-from-scratch piece that warranted that much money. Plus, I had contacted him in March and he said he wouldn't be able to do the piece until mid-May, because he was very busy.
Anyway, I believe the prongs are called scallop prongs.
For those of you interested, go to this link for the story behind the ring:

http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=17822

Hope this helps. OH, I found one more thread about the ring regarding the very low setting:

http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=20063

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
marv,

please visit www.exaurum.com for more information. The setting is in one
of the section...
it's 18K WG...but Gino can do it in PLAT if you prefer.

Let me know if you want to contact him.

Trichrome.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, Trichrome, there's some niiice pictures there! I saw one that had a wavy shape that was really unique. I have to keep that in my favorites.
10.gif

marv117

Rough_Rock
Can you believe it...i went out last nite with my girlfriend and looked around for rings and diamonds...we went in zales and helzberg..spent most time in helzberg...dont worry guyz, I wont be buying from there..just looking around...anyway....

I had a first hand look on the different sizes/weights of diamonds and also how each setting and size looked on my girlfriend. Was I shocked! Call me a "newbie" because I truely was expecting something else.

First of all, I've always thought 1.5ct and higher is the way to go!!! Boy, do I have a lot to learn still..hehehe.. 1 carat actually looks good enough on her hand and 1.25ct was the perfect size(around 6x6mm in dimension,her ring size is 4/4.5 last we check)... the 1.5ct was actually a little too big and most likely create tooo much attention than she would like.

Plus! we both thought that settings with sidestones was nice(on pictures)..but when she tried on the solitaire setting, it looked great on her. Settings with the sidestones were a bit too much...we both didn't like how the sidestone took some of the attention off the center stone.

Last, she was able to confirm her preference between round and princess cut. She slightly likes princess cut over round because on her hand it looks more striking, but she did say she wouldn't mind the round either.

So there it is: solitair, princess, 1.25ct

the search continues...
9.gif

marv117

Rough_Rock
Mara:
I really love that setting..after searching around, yours still is on the top of my list...If i can get it under 1500 i would go for it! do you think this would be possible? also, what's your opinion on putting a princess/radiant cut on this setting?

Trichrome:
I can't find this setting on the website you mentioned. If you have the exact address, please post it..thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marv--You mean the setting I posted from MM or my actual setting which is somewhat of a solitaire but the band is eternity stone set. I don't know about the MM setting as kayla noted his prices seemed a little steep for a non custom job, and for my setting, it was $2k custom built..so you may be able to get a better deal elsewhere.

I know that WhiteFlash sells .02c ACA melee stones for I think $30-40 each. I have 26 stones in my ring, so this means that would have cost us around $700-800 for the stones. Do I think that my custom ring in plat without the stones cost $1200 to do? Who knows. But I think from the pricing I have seen elsewhere, you could get a custom job for under $2k.

Check out www.tradeshop.com. They do custom jobs and their pieces are gorgeous. They have an online design gallery where you can see recent projects and the like and get ideas of your own. They also have an online email quote whree you can attach pictures and the like and ask for a quote. I got mine back in 24 hours when I was looking at diamond bracelets.

Anyway..good luck. Also I wanted to note that a well cut 1c stone should have a diameter of around 6.5mm and 4mm depth. A well cut 1.25c stone will have a diamter of *around* 7mm and depth of around 4.20mm or similar. The numbers may be a little more or less depending, but when you noted that a 1.25 stone aka 6mm looks best..in reality that 6mm should be more like a .80c well cut stone. Because you were looking at maul stones, the cuts were most likely pretty horrible, meaning that a 6mm 1.25c stone does not match up. If the stone you saw had a 6mm diameter, that's more along the lines of a .80c or so well cut stone (say ACA or H&A). So keep that in mind while shopping, as if you get a 1.25 H&A excelellently cut stone, the diameter will be around 7mm and that may be too big for her hands as you noted 6 was better.

Just something to note!!

2.gif
Have fun! Off to Milkwaukee for the day..we are visiting friends in Wisconsin right now and boy is this place laid back!

marv117

Rough_Rock
Mara:
Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

The stone I saw in the mall(u call it maul
tongue.gif
) was a princess cut with 1.25ct, and had dimensions of 6.22mm x 6.__mm x ___mm ...I think for a princess cut that's about a correct dimension for that carat weight, right? This means the length from corner to corner would be around 7.5mm to 8mm which means it's about the right length.

I actually emailed Mark Morrell and he replied. I'll let you know how it goes.

scotpot

Rough_Rock
Has anyone managed to find an alternative source to the setting at the top of this message string?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
This setting is custom Mark Morrell...no other way to get it.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results