shape
carat
color
clarity

Where is the best place you have ever been for vacation in the continental US?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HA HA I was just going to say, don't come to SF if you want WARM weather. We live inland a bit, about 40 min from SF and whenever we go into the city in the summer, it's friggin cold! Like 30 degrees colder cold. We could be wearing shorts here and then drive in and wear pants and a jacket. Crazy microclimates all over CA actually. So definitely pack different types of clothing or else you'll be stuck like all the other tourists buying a crazy $80 sweatshirt that says I *heart* SF on it. hehehe.

It's so funny for me too because I have no idea why people really like SF so much! Sure it's a cool city I guess, and we go into the city once a month or so to catch a show or dinner or whatever, but I think NYC is so much better. Grass is greener I suppose. And SF is SOOO touristy in so many areas and it gets SO crowded in the summer..if you do come visit, go to all the non tourist areas because they are so much cooler to visit than the touristy ones really. But one tourist thing we did recently that was so much fun as the GoCars...you can Google them. Little yellow cars that take you on GPS powered tours through the city. You can go into more obscure areas as well which is the one we did, it was really fun and hilarious too, esp if you get more than one car (2 people fit in 1 car).

Oh and if you do come to visit SF...don't plan on staying in SF the whole time. There are so many cool places to visit that are outside of SF (and that I like better than the actual city). Depending on how long you are here, you can drive along Hwy 1 either north or south and visit countless small fun towns. Napa is about 45-55 minutes from SF depending on where you are. I would do a day trip there for sure if not one evening/night. Or Sonoma as well is a little closer, maybe 40 min. Mendocino/Fort Bragg area is about 1.5 hours away. South you can drive into Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Capitola, Carmel, Monterey on a really long day trip (or again, overnight).

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2007 1:15:55 PM
Author: butterfly 17
Hey everyone!

Okay, it seems like a bunch of people posted about San Franscisco and although I have been there as a child, my husband hasn''t, so I think that is the first choice!!!

My kids are 2 and 7 and I am 18
11.gif
and my husband is 21
9.gif
, so I think that we would enjoy going there and really enjoy the warm weather. We are from NY and we have been to Boston alot, at least 5 or 6 times since we have family there.

We love Boston actually! We also love Washington DC as well, but again, been there, done that, so we need something new.

We did go to LA and Las Vegas two years ago, so we have been to Disney, although we have yet to go to the one in Fl.

How far away is Seattle, WA from SF? Is it an unrealistic drive with two kids, or doable? I have a cousin that just moved there last year and bought a house and she has told me to come over a couple of times, so I was thinking maybe I could stay a bit long on vacation and do both trips.

Hmmmmm....
not to pry, but did you say your kids are 2 and 7 and you are 18?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2007 2:26:49 PM
Author: janinegirly

Hey everyone!

Okay, it seems like a bunch of people posted about San Franscisco and although I have been there as a child, my husband hasn''t, so I think that is the first choice!!!

My kids are 2 and 7 and I am 18
11.gif
and my husband is 21
9.gif
, so I think that we would enjoy going there and really enjoy the warm weather. We are from NY and we have been to Boston alot, at least 5 or 6 times since we have family there.

We love Boston actually! We also love Washington DC as well, but again, been there, done that, so we need something new.

We did go to LA and Las Vegas two years ago, so we have been to Disney, although we have yet to go to the one in Fl.

How far away is Seattle, WA from SF? Is it an unrealistic drive with two kids, or doable? I have a cousin that just moved there last year and bought a house and she has told me to come over a couple of times, so I was thinking maybe I could stay a bit long on vacation and do both trips.

Hmmmmm....
not to pry, but did you say your kids are 2 and 7 and you are 18?
OMG LOL she was joking! i am dying here.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
ahhh ok..my bad!
face6.gif
...backs away sheepishly

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
janinegirly- Yes, that was a joke. Hopefully I didn't offend anyone who is 18 years old with children, but I was just revealing how young I feel, not my actual old age.

Mara (and Alj)- The weather in SF should be fine for us. We are used to freezing temperatures here in the winter time, so anything around 60 degrees F will be a blessing!!

Alj- thanks for the heads up on the roundtrip airfare. $89 bucks sounds so much better than a 13 hour trip. Yikes, I had no idea it was that far. I should look at a map once in a while, huh.

I will also probably visit the surrounding areas, especially Sonoma and Carmel. Carmel sounds so great from what I have read from posts here.

San Franscisco, here we come!!!
36.gif

SarFarSuperstar

Shiny_Rock
San Francisco is pretty awesome. Also highly recommend Carmel/Monterey area. My friend''s parents live there and it is heaven. Beautiful and the aquarium is great, too.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/12/2007 1:57:41 PM
1.gif
777_LADY, thanks! I will go check it out right now!
If you have any questions about any of the programs or activities just ask! The surrounding towns are also fantastic to visit too, esp. Stowe! The resort will send you any info you request as well.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Butterfly if you go to Carmel, you should definitely visit Fourtane''s jewelers, love that place, vintage and vintage style--lots of bling and huge rocks.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hmmmmm....

on wikianswers (not not sure how reliable the site is) it says regarding distance between San Fran and Seattle:

"From Seattle, Washington to San Francisco, California is 679 miles (1092 km). The driving distance is 807 mi - about 12 hours 40 mins."

You would drive up 1-5 for the fastest route. There would be some great places to stop along the way, so you may want to make it a three day journey. A couple we know and their young daughter drove up here from San Diego and they said it was fine. With a 2 & 7 year old, it may be a bit exhausting, so it may be worth flying up unless you have time to site see and get out of the car and walk around.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2007 2:24:48 PM
Author: Mara

It's so funny for me too because I have no idea why people really like SF so much!
Ditto!
3.gif
Though, to be fair, my last experience in SF was kinda scarring--NOT a good idea for someone with a phobia of driving on hills to DRIVE in san francisco. If I lived there, I would NOT own a car.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2007 2:44:55 PM
janinegirly- Yes, that was a joke. Hopefully I didn''t offend anyone who is 18 years old with children, but I was just revealing how young I feel, not my actual old age.

Mara (and Alj)- The weather in SF should be fine for us. We are used to freezing temperatures here in the winter time, so anything around 60 degrees F will be a blessing!!

Alj- thanks for the heads up on the roundtrip airfare. $89 bucks sounds so much better than a 13 hour trip. Yikes, I had no idea it was that far. I should look at a map once in a while, huh.

I will also probably visit the surrounding areas, especially Sonoma and Carmel. Carmel sounds so great from what I have read from posts here.

San Franscisco, here we come!!!
36.gif
B/Fly, Carmel is fabulous. There are several lovely inns in town, so you may want to consider going overnight.

Monterey and Carmel are fairly close....you could take the kids to the aquarium in Monterey if they are into that. The 17-mile drive is pretty nice, too, and gets you from Monterey to Carmel.

Mission Carmel is a cool place to see.

If you do go, you should absolutely do this next thing. The main street of Carmel slopes downhill to the local Carmel beach. In the early evening, locals and tourists alike go down the hill to gather at the beach and watch the sun set. It is a quintessial Carmel experience, and something the kids would have fun with. They can play on the beach while you''re enjoying the view.

Sounds like a fun time!

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
YOSEMITE! hands down....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results