shape
carat
color
clarity

Where is the best place to list and sell cult. pearls?? I had them appraised

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

espree

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Anyone have any sug. where to send or list a stand of 18 inch imported cult. pearls for sale?? I took them to one of the best jewel stores in my area for an appra. and check them out?? They were value around $2600.

Uncle Marty

Rough_Rock
Hi SD,
Did you notice just how many people have looked at your post and no one has ventured answer.

I have been a buyer from the public and within the trade of Diamonds, gemstones and jewelry (all types including costume) for over 50 years.

Selling jewelry is a big discussion. I have will be happy to discuss individual situations with anyone.
Just write.

Basic information:
When thinking about selling any jewelry item go into the jeweler who sold it to you so many years ago and ask them, " Do you want to buy back this item". Never ask them what is it worth?

Most sellers will never buy back any jewelry item they sold you because they do not want you to know their approximate markup (profit).

BTW if any of my customers from my former jewelry store in Freeport NY wants to sell me anything I sold to them during the 32 years I was in Freeport NY. Just write I will be happy to buy it back.

If the original seller does not want to buy it back for any price, go to the BEST REPUTATION store in your area. Do not concern yourself with what price they sell Diamonds and jewelry items. You are not there to buy and do not fall prey to the salesperson.

Never discuss trade-ins. Remember you are selling something and not there to buy anything. Be firm about your intentions.

Ask for the buyer in that store.

Do not talk to any salesperson unless it is to tell that sales person what you want to see the buyer about. Do not show anyone in the store what you want to sell. Only show the buyer in private. No discussion with the other "nice people" in the store. They are not your friends. Be firm and try to be professional.

Always show what you are selling in a private area.

Do NOT ASK FOR AN APPRAISAL. Appraisals cost money and you are not there for an Appraisal. You are NOT there to spend money.

There are several different types of Appraisals. The NAJA and ISA Appraisers that belong to this information website can explain to you all the different types of appraisals and what they are used for. You do NOT WANT TO PAY for information.

Do not waste your time and the buyers time by telling the buyer who gave it to you and why, he is not interested. He is only interested in buying your item to make a profit. The item might need repolishing, cleaning, etc. and that costs money even to those in the jewelry business.

If you want to write a book about the history of your jewelry go home and write a book. You might be able to sell it to the History channel.

Never, never tell the potential buyer why you are selling the item. It is not his business and he is not interested.

Never tell him/her you must sell this item today. That will drag down how much you will get for the item. You lose...

Never allow the buyer to ask you, "How much do you want for this item"? When asked that question put your coat on and walk out and DO NOT LOOK BACK over your shoulder. You Lose if you look back.

If the buyer calls you back before you walk out of the office, turn around slowly and look surprised.
Never smile. You are not there to smile.
Be Firm.

Leave your coat or jacket on, do not get comfortable. That way you can leave again with haste. Be firm

Never tell a knowledgeable buyer what you want to get paid. Lethim/her talk. You talk very little.
All you want to know is this person the actual buyer. Often the buyer sends out someone to soften you up to see how badly you need the money. Never tell the buyer "YOU NEED THE MONEY TODAY". He/she knows that, that is why you are there. Be firm.
Take with you a black pad and pen. Never ask to use their pen or pencil. Carry with you a small calculator.

When given a price the buyer offers, write the offer into your book with the name (ask his/her name) of the person making the offer. Never sell it just then. Sit there and use your calculator.
Even if you do not know why. Just add up the dates of your children, the buyer does not see what you are doing. Let him/her wait. They will wait, they must wait. You can leave if you want to.

Ask how long (time) will they honor their offer. They might say, take it or leave it, or they might say 24 hours or 48 hours or 6 minutes.

If you have time go to another potential buyer and do exactly the same thing.

If not tell the person you need privacy to make a call and attempt to leave the room with all your belongings to use your cell phone. This must be done in privacy.

Then call me.

Uncle Marty of course
877-595-4687

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Uncle Marty, that was an interesting read. I found many of your tips to be very handy. Poker face all the way huh?
10.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Hee hee, Uncle Marty, that seemed to be my exact tactics when BUYING diamonds!!! I searched and was all busines with some folks who proved that customers service was not even included. I walked the length of the Diamond District in NYC in a frighteningly long and painful search, and sometimes, these guys needed to see I wasn't some fluffy headed gal who was just looking at gems (without so much as a potetial fiancee).

Some had issues talking to me without my guy (thinking I wasn't serious) I got down to business, never took off my coat, had a file folder FULL of GIA certs, on-line printouts, even the AGA charts, and collected a business card from each of the sellers, made notes on the back, asked their best price, and after reinspecting the stone, thanked them and left. Man did they hate me! I will say, some jewelers now offer more information to their clients because of my annoying questions and pushing...
9.gif

Uncle Marty

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I have a problem with your names. Why is it necessary to hide behind a name.
I have been Uncle Marty for many years within the jewelry trade and privately.

My buying secrets are now out for all to read.

Uncle Marty of course
I was given the added "of course" by Koert from Polygon. Polygon is an organization of professional jewelers, gemstone and diamond dealers which is on line. No, you cannot join unless you are a proven member of the Jewelry community. We have to have some privacy. Very little left with all
the information on The Internet.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Uncle Marty, I have a screen name because of all the Nicole's out there, I may just be one of the many...so how to differentiate all of those Nicole when on an internet forum where people log in from all over the world. Imagine all the Johns, Deborahs, Jennifers, Michaels and Michelles....Better to have nick names, than to be more confused with everyone else. That's also why we use different avatars.

But some people like their privacy, ands till want to help out the PS community. In a place where all you have to do is google a person's name and you can get all their information, I prefer my nickname to my full name on the net... But that's just me...
9.gif

Uncle Marty

Rough_Rock
Nicrez et al,
Buying a Diamond on 47th Street in New York City or Sansome Street in Philadelphia or S. Hill Street in Los Angeles, CA. etc. is, in my not so humble opinion, not the way to buy a Diamond.

It is a way to compile a book of information about just how rude a seller can be.

Most of the sales people working at street level know how to sell (or think they do). 47th Street (and I suppose the others) has a special regimen.

After writing this I will not be allowed on 47th Street. Probably will be stopped at the tunnel entering NYC from Queens. I live way out on Long Island (when I am in NY and not in GA.)

Before I tell all about the system I feel I want to warn you all about the Designer system.
I am prejudiced because for many years I designed the jewelry I sold and occasionally saw unauthorized copies in far away St. Thomas US Virgin Islands. Copies of Designer jewelry is not flattering to the designer. If you want Designer jewelry, or for that matter any designer item buy it from that designer or an authorized seller for that designer.

Do not travel the jewelry streets looking for almost the same. Generaly you are buying a poor copy, with rings the knock-offs were molds made from the originals and they are at best 10% thinner than the originals. When knock-offs are made the prongs are thinner, but most of all the gold may not be the full karat indicated. If you have a copy of whomever, the knock off cannot have the trademark of the original. It is a Federal offense and offensive to the designer. If you have a problem with your knock-off ring, I would suggest you complain to the original designer. Perhaps you should send your ring back to the original designer so he could correct the problem. We all do want to know how much you like our original designs.

Many sellers on the streets of our cities think it is their right to copy anyone. Just walk along the streets of any city and see all the knock-offs of Gucci, Cartier and Rolex. I never understood the why anyone would buy a copy but that makes some people happy to know they ripped off the original designer (certainly it is helpful to the seller on the street who does not pay taxes and sends the money overseas to buy guns to kill our men overseas.
Regardless of your political affiliation be assured when buying illegal items you are supporting the enemy. In my book you are a traitor and should be shot. Our governement (USA) is no longer arresting people who support the enemy in time of war wih few exceptions.
But that is another long story

In another post I will elaborate about buying a diamond on the streets of our fair cities.

Going to eat my breakfast now.
Have to keep up my strength.

Uncle Marty of course

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Uncle Marty Agreed on both counts. My BF and I enventually found our stone in a jeweler on 47th, because he is an authorized retailer of the Radiant Cut by Henry Grossbard, which we had been searching for Radiants (generic as well).

This particular jeweler was so wonderful and helpful, even giving me time and space to ask any questions, and was kind and curteous whenever we showed up (which we did MANY times) Very few are truly helpful there, because sadly the sales people and sometimes the owners are not as knowledgeable as they SHOULD be...

That said, I am a brand person, only when I feel it calls for the premium. I do not like owning replicas of anything (except for Ansel Adams and impressionistic art, as I SURELY can't afford the originals!) My clothes bear no labels that are not stamped by the impramature of the designer him(her)self, as I used to work at a designer house for clothing and realize that uniqueness and originality are so easily copied and duped in the worst possible ways...

One can just go down to Chinatown in NYC on Canal Street and see Pucci (Gucci) bags, Mowado (Movado) or Polex (Rolex)watches...etc. If I can't afford the original design, I wouldn't be happy with the knock off that melts in the rain, breaks in a week, or stops working once out of the store...But that is just me. I can't tell you how irritating it is to see Goach (Caoch) bags all over NYC, and so many knockoff Burberry bags...

It's not even about the designer, it's about affording the quality in which it was meant to be made. If you can afford it, great, if not why waste even a penny on inferior goods, just to have the name?

Yes, the designer suffers. If you invented something and you earned every pennt of it's sales, wouldn't it infuriate you to see a back knock off of YOUR baby? The thing you labored over for the percise cut, quality and perhaps years of getting someone to back you or fund your idea?

Some designer companies actually head out to places such as Chinatown and "raid" these stores for infringement items, and presecute. It was frightening to see the bulk and quanitity these people had of this stuff and the terrible quality that some people actually paid for just to have the label !!!!/idealbb/images/smilies/6.gif Some things are WORTH the price, and if you can't afford it, there are affordable ways to be fashionable, with your own style...Even in diamonds and jewlery!

Uncle Marty

Rough_Rock
Nicrez et al,
I am in love with my wife of 47 years and your post.
We are in total agreement. Too bad others do not see it that way.
I have seen on E-bay people selling labels. If you want others to see the designer label perhaps people that worship labels should buy the labels and sew them on the front of their clothes.
Does it matter that the item was not by Pucci (Gucci). Who would know?

Having fun.

My love to you,
Uncle Marty

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 3/8/2004 5:14:39 PM Uncle Marty wrote:

I have seen on E-bay people selling labels. If you want others to see the designer label perhaps people that worship labels should buy the labels and sew them on the front of their clothes.
Does it matter that the item was not by Pucci (Gucci). Who would know?

----------------

Then there are the people on eBay selling Tiffany shopping bags and ring boxes. One would assume they are sold to people who buy knock-off jewelry and put it into a Tiffany box to fool the recipient.

I'm not sure who is more pathetic here: the people selling the Tiffany accoutrements, the buyer, or the gift recipient who puts so much stock in packaging.

sick.gif

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
----------------[/quote]

Then there are the people on eBay selling Tiffany shopping bags and ring boxes. One would assume they are sold to people who buy knock-off jewelry and put it into a Tiffany box to fool the recipient.

I'm not sure who is more pathetic here: the people selling the Tiffany accoutrements, the buyer, or the gift recipient who puts so much stock in packaging.

sick.gif

----------------[/quote]

No kidding! I have seen the small Tiffany shopping bags and boxes (the cardboard ones, not the nice ring boxes) go for something like $30 on ebay. It's pretty silly.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why would anyone (labels and independent makers alike) still bother to provide decent quality, when the label is sooo much more important ?

Oh well...

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Uncle Marty, I totally agree!

LG, I have seen it, and laugh, becuase I have quite a few empty boxes and bag...I could literally make a fortune, but I just won't do it!!! LOL

Recently my friend's fiancee bought her a platinum necklace at Tiffany's. In an odd moment of frugality and selfishlessness (is that a word?) she returned the item, but felt so sad to see the pretty wrapped box and little blue pouch it came with, go back... Such a bizarre attachement people have with names, and I won't lie, if my BF bought me a pair of Dior shoes, YES I would treasure it, just like I am fanatic about any designer thing I have...Keeping the Vera Wang shoes pristine and only for SPECIAL occasions (none yet, but waiting!)

How did they do such a good just convincing us these things are so coveted and precious...however they did, there's a brand out there with everyone's name on it...some people just swear by 8*, some by Coach... Hee Hee

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results