shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Hubby and I are discussing the increase in larger stones. He is wondering what happens to all the older diamonds that are out there and why can''t I just find one of those! I know about pawn shops and of course there''s Craigs list and the classified''s, none of which I would feel comfortable doing. I do realize older cut stones are sometimes not as well cut as today''s stones. And if one is looking for a large round, then in my opinion, you would want a newer cut stone, so you are pretty much bound to buy from a dealer/store. I''m just having a tough time answering him, because I don''t know how to answer his question.

Sleepdeprived

Rough_Rock
Don''t know if this is something you are looking for but it is like an ebay for used diamonds sort of speak...

I Do, Now I Don''t!

Website where people resale their rings.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think many of them end up in jewelry boxes (too sentimental to get rid of, but not sure what to do with it otherwise)...set into different jewelry...or traded in for something different! Many jewelers offer trade ins/ups, so that is my best guess. And a diamond is never really "used", so once a jeweler gets a "pre-loved" diamond they check it out and either stick it right back in stock, polish it/repair it then stock it, or send it off to be recut if they think it would be more valuable that way.

If you're willing to invest a bit of time into it, craigslist, estate sales, ebay, etc. are all places where deals can be found. But remember that there are many others like you looking and willing to pay a fair price, so anything that looks too good to be true probably is. And buyer beware, so ALWAYS insist on an independent appraisal before forking out the cash!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2007 1:11:49 AM
Author: neatfreak
I think many of them end up in jewelry boxes (too sentimental to get rid of, but not sure what to do with it otherwise)...set into different jewelry...or traded in for something different! Many jewelers offer trade ins/ups, so that is my best guess. And a diamond is never really ''used'', so once a jeweler gets a ''pre-loved'' diamond they check it out and either stick it right back in stock, polish it/repair it then stock it, or send it off to be recut if they think it would be more valuable that way.

If you''re willing to invest a bit of time into it, craigslist, estate sales, ebay, etc. are all places where deals can be found. But remember that there are many others like you looking and willing to pay a fair price, so anything that looks too good to be true probably is. And buyer beware, so ALWAYS insist on an independent appraisal before forking out the cash!

Neatfreak, these are all things I have mentioned to him, but he still thinks there HAS to be diamonds floating around out there! Grr! When you look at all the divorces and failed engagements, do all of them keep their stones? I don''t think so (I would!) but I wonder where they end up? Back on consignment with the jeweler, pawn shops, friends? Any of these are suitable answers, but he wonders why I can''t get one of those! Well, I say it''s because I want a 3-3.5ct Ideal RB and those aren''t just floating around!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results