shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do you get your coloured diamond from?

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
I am looking for a Pink Diamond and either a champagne or grey diamond.

Has anyone here bought any of those gems and if so where?
I reviewed the list of vendors in the sticky, but didn't see any specializing in coloured diamonds.

If there is a gem you can suggest to replace any of the above three (for the pink diamond, I keep getting suggested pink sapphires) I would appreciate that too. The sparklier the sugestion the better (most pink sapphires I've seen look pretty dead, but I'm an amateur so what do I know? :p)

Thanks in advance.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Diamondsbylauren and Lebish are the two main colored stone vendors PSers use.

Gemstones will never sparkle to the same level as diamonds. They are usually bought for color not sparkle.

It sounds like you aren't entirely sure what you want which makes it difficult to offer relevant suggestions. What's your first choice? A pink diamond?

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I know Kenny gets all his at Leibish & Co. http://www.fancydiamonds.net . My own searching has included Langerman Diamonds http://www.langerman-diamonds.com. If you do a Google search for natural fancy colored diamonds, you will find many vendors of these stones. Kenny is probably best versed here on the subject and can give you all the details on why he prefers one vendor over the other.

Bryan Cavitt
Images Jewelers, Inc.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
chel180|1365515611|3423194 said:
It sounds like you aren't entirely sure what you want which makes it difficult to offer relevant suggestions. What's your first choice? A pink diamond?

I want to get a pink Diamond for my GF e-ring (a small 1-2mm accent stone)
I want a few small champagne or grey diamonds (2-3 mm) for my wedding ring

I guess what my last line was referring to was I'm not sure what my other options are, other than sapphires which I havent been super impressed with. I also would like something a little rarer than a sapphire (Don't fault a guy for wanting to give his gf a one of a kind ring :razz:). If there are other suggestions, I'm open to them because I'm sure they will be cheaper than these coloured diamonds.

I've seen some spinels in the "you have to buy this" thread and like how they look.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
blackprophet|1365518590|3423231 said:
chel180|1365515611|3423194 said:

I want to get a pink Diamond for my GF e-ring (a small 1-2mm accent stone)
I want a few small champagne or grey diamonds (2-3 mm) for my wedding ring

I guess what my last line was referring to was I'm not sure what my other options are, other than sapphires which I havent been super impressed with. I also would like something a little rarer than a sapphire (Don't fault a guy for wanting to give his gf a one of a kind ring :razz:). If there are other suggestions, I'm open to them because I'm sure they will be cheaper than these coloured diamonds.

I've seen some spinels in the "you have to buy this" thread and like how they look.

So you just want a little pink melee size diamond? Most jewelers can source those for you. Langerman's prices are incredibly high to ship melee size. Don't know if David at Diamonds by Lauren would sell melee size- worth a call to him. Africa gems sells pink diamond melee and would be a good one to call,too. ETA- Africa gems also sells the other color melee you are interested,too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those sizes, I would have your local jeweller (whoever is doing the ring) source the stones for you. Most coloured stones (sapphire, spinel and etc) don't look as good in such sizes so I would stick to FCDs.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1365518975|3423237 said:
So you just want a little pink melee size diamond? Most jewelers can source those for you. Langerman's prices are incredibly high to ship melee size. Don't know if David at Diamonds by Lauren would sell melee size- worth a call to him. Africa gems sells pink diamond melee and would be a good one to call,too. ETA- Africa gems also sells the other color melee you are interested,too.

I have asked the guy who is building my setting to look for a pink melee diamond and he has tried to talk me out of going the pink diamond route. Doesn't seem like he's interested in looking. I'm wondering if I could find one my self, or if I should just push him harder.

I looked on Africa gems and they have some attractive prices, but I wonder what the quality is like. If I called, would they be willing to send me pictures?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case, I would check out Leibish. I have personal experience with them and found it very easy and straightforward.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet|1365520529|3423252 said:
I have asked the guy who is building my setting to look for a pink melee diamond and he has tried to talk me out of going the pink diamond route. Doesn't seem like he's interested in looking. I'm wondering if I could find one my self, or if I should just push him harder.

Maybe he doesn't have the connections to source colored diamonds.
I recommend Leibish @ www.fancydiamonds.net..
If you don't see what you want on their website call them.

I've bought 20 FCDs from them and returned 8, with no hassles.
Their photography is quite accurate, selection huge and customer service excellent.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI blackprophet,
If the person building the setting has problems using pink melee, that in itself may cause you problems.
Personally I kind of detest melee- not really, but it's a lot of work.
When making pave rings, exact sizes are needed, and there's a fairly high rate of breakage. That means you might need extra stones- which if you buy them and have leftovers, they're kind of hard to recoup.
One possible solution: Find a place that will sell you a ring with pink melee in it.
Let them deal with the headaches of supplying it.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
blackprophet|1365520529|3423252 said:
pinkjewel|1365518975|3423237 said:

I looked on Africa gems and they have some attractive prices, but I wonder what the quality is like. If I called, would they be willing to send me pictures?

I haven't purchased any of their melee, but you could call Mark and ask him about it. I remember someone bought some Fancy Pink in the very tiny size , and she was really happy with the color, but I think that was a couple of years ago. I have a local jeweler who has gorgeous fancy pink melee- her natural fancy pinks look almost like fancy intense pinks- but no idea where she gets them from and I've never asked about buying any.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Rockdiamond|1365534524|3423438 said:
HI blackprophet,
If the person building the setting has problems using pink melee, that in itself may cause you problems.
Personally I kind of detest melee- not really, but it's a lot of work.
When making pave rings, exact sizes are needed, and there's a fairly high rate of breakage. That means you might need extra stones- which if you buy them and have leftovers, they're kind of hard to recoup.
One possible solution: Find a place that will sell you a ring with pink melee in it.
Let them deal with the headaches of supplying it.

Its not for pave. Its just for a single jem that would be on the inside of the band. Almost bezeled under the setting.

His excuse was not setting, it was cost. He had a previous person who had a high budget and could not find the right colour.

He is willing to do it with a pink sapphire, but I'm not willing to give up on it yet, especially after seeing Africa Jem's prices.

I figure if I source it and he uses it and it doesn't work at least I tried. For this price its worth the risk.

I know most designers don't like customers to source melee for them, but I will ask him if the Africa Gems look good.

I'm waiting on cads from him, so I will broach the subject with him once I recieve them.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1365536525|3423465 said:
I haven't purchased any of their melee, but you could call Mark and ask him about it. I remember someone bought some Fancy Pink in the very tiny size , and she was really happy with the color, but I think that was a couple of years ago. I have a local jeweler who has gorgeous fancy pink melee- her natural fancy pinks look almost like fancy intense pinks- but no idea where she gets them from and I've never asked about buying any.

I have contacted Marc. We shall see how that goes.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
keep in mind that unless you buy vivid or the most fancy intense pink you can find, you will need to set the tiny pink in rose gold or it won't show up.

Euphony

Rough_Rock
Trade
When making pave rings, exact sizes are needed, and there's a fairly high rate of breakage. That means you might need extra stones- which if you buy them and have leftovers,

A high level of breakage? With round diamonds? I think you need a new setter because the rate of breakage should be extremely low.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1365542073|3423543 said:
keep in mind that unless you buy vivid or the most fancy intense pink you can find, you will need to set the tiny pink in rose gold or it won't show up.

Really? Good to know. The setting is 18K WG.

I called Marc and their melee pinks are not the right colour, too light and too purple.

I plan on calling Leibish tomorrow and see what they can do. They have a couple on their site that I'm interested in. Nothing small enough for my purposes though. This one comes closest, might be a candidate: http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/11214.htm

I like the damaged state of this one, for the right price (see: low) I might be willing to get it: http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/6561.htm.. As long as it doesn't compromise its structural integrity.

Looks like I may have to settle for a pink sapphire. Even the above two are stretching my budget.
Any suggestions for pink stones other (or possibly rarer) than sapphires that I should look into?

Thanks for all of your help so far!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
0.09 ct is pretty big to fit under the setting or band (as a surprise diamond).

Would you consider a created pink diamond? (I know Kenny wouldn't agree).
Still pretty damn rare. D.NEA or Chatham. I have some beauties from D.NEA.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
blackprophet|1365563967|3423793 said:
pinkjewel|1365542073|3423543 said:

Really? Good to know. The setting is 18K WG.

I called Marc and their melee pinks are not the right colour, too light and too purple.

I plan on calling Leibish tomorrow and see what they can do. They have a couple on their site that I'm interested in. Nothing small enough for my purposes though. This one comes closest, might be a candidate: http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/11214.htm

I like the damaged state of this one, for the right price (see: low) I might be willing to get it: http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/6561.htm.... As long as it doesn't compromise its structural integrity.

Looks like I may have to settle for a pink sapphire. Even the above two are stretching my budget.
Any suggestions for pink stones other (or possibly rarer) than sapphires that I should look into?

Thanks for all of your help so far!

the first is too large and I don't like the second one at all. How about these on Leibish site- they would be about 2mm each and the color is gorgeous!! If you don't need all, keep what you want and sell the rest on Diamond Bistro or Loupe Troop- I'd be interested in a couple of them. :naughty: I've asked Leibish to split sets before and they wouldn't so you could split them yourself. =)

fancy-intense-pink-round-diamond-10835.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the first is too large and the second not as nice. Email Leibish as they might be able to sell you a single round melee sized pink from their parcel.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1365593429|3423918 said:
I agree that the first is too large and the second not as nice. Email Leibish as they might be able to sell you a single round melee sized pink from their parcel.

I've asked them to do this in the past and they wouldn't- but maybe their policy has changed.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't know this. :(sad

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1365593179|3423916 said:
the first is too large and I don't like the second one at all. How about these on Leibish site- they would be about 2mm each and the color is gorgeous!! If you don't need all, keep what you want and sell the rest on Diamond Bistro or Loupe Troop- I'd be interested in a couple of them. :naughty: I've asked Leibish to split sets before and they wouldn't so you could split them yourself. =)

Edit: I saw them on the site and your right, they look good. I don't know why they didn't show up before.

I sent an email last night and asked about these along with the ones listed above (I couldn't wait until today to call!)
http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/11515.htm
Think they would be too big?

I Will ask about the ones you posted if I call today.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Those 2 are very nice diamonds- but 2.5mm is really large for surprise type diamonds. Do you have a picture of the setting and where you'd like the diamond to fit? This would be a big help so that we could guide you with sizing. I assume that your jeweler is going to be hand making this so that whatever size you buy can be worked in. The 6 pointer pair you linked might be nice worked in on either side of your center stone.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1365599032|3423943 said:
Those 2 are very nice diamonds- but 2.5mm is really large for surprise type diamonds. Do you have a picture of the setting and where you'd like the diamond to fit? This would be a big help so that we could guide you with sizing. I assume that your jeweler is going to be hand making this so that whatever size you buy can be worked in. The 6 pointer pair you linked might be nice worked in on either side of your center stone.

Man I totally missed the size! It was right there all the time.
I would only be using one diamond bezeled/incorporated into the band like this one from Mark Morrel on his site. This was the inspiration for the idea: http://www.mwmjewelry.com/FredO_Nested%20Crown_custom_Sapphire_7.3mm_Sz7__005s2.JPG
That is just the location, it would be incorporated into the shank, not separate like that.

It will be a solitaire with a thin shank. The main stone is only 5.5mm in diameter, so I'm guessing the smaller the better.

Once I get CADs I may post so you can get a better idea.

I am leaning towards emailing my jewler the 5 set and see if he would be willing to use them if I bought them, and maybe take the extras off of my hands. If hes willing to use them I would be willing to take a chance and get rid of the extras myself.

I would be keeping two, anyone want to call dibs on the other three? :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to take the entire ring size into perspective. A 2.5 mm surprise stone is going to need at least 3 to 3.5 mm thickness in the band to accommodate it. A 3 to 3.5 mm thick shank is going to look substantial with a 5.5 mm center stone.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I took a quick pic so that you could see a few melee sizes together- not the greatest pic as I was doing it in a hurry for you, but you can get an idea. Also, with your setting- you might still want to look at doing the little bezel around the pink diamond in rose gold- it would show up so much better.

Ok, in this picture the 2 larger white diamonds are about .22ct, the little blue diamond is .10ct or about 3mm in size, the 2 brownish pink diamonds are 2.4mm and the little white diamonds are about 1.7 or 1.8mm- can't remember which for sure. You can see how much size difference there is in a tiny amount of change. Someone that makes jewelry can probably tell you what size would work best in your setting- but I would think you would not want to be any bigger than 2mm and I would think more like a 1.7 would be better.

ETA- I just saw where you said it would be incorporated in the shank so I agree with Chrono that you'd need to keep it small. The color of the 5 I linked may be vivid enough to show up in white gold- although a rose gold bezel would enhance it.

melee_comparison.jpg

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Can I say that you guys are amazing! Thanks so much for all the help so far. And a picture just for me too. You guys know how to make a guy feel special.

The picture was VERY helpful thanks. I forsure will check to see if that set is under 2mm, but I'm guessing since the total ctw is .11 they should be. I dont think any bigger than 2mm would work.

Is there a reason for the rose gold bezel? I would assume the pink stone would show better in the white gold band.

I want the ring to face up like a simple solitare. But I just want to add a little intruige under the shank, something just from me to her. Pink is her favourite colour, and there is lots more that can be associated with that colour. Throw in the rarity and it sends the message I am trying to convey. I would prefer to leave the rose gold out, as I think it might create a headache to bezel such a small stone with rose gold and then try and incorporate it into a 2-3mm shank (which is where the designer said he thinks the shank would fall).

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all of your help so far.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless the pink FCD has very strong saturation, it might look blush or rather pale if bezeled in a white metal without having it set inside a rose gold rim to help amp up the colour. This is the same thing that well made scatter bands do to help the diamond accents remain white in a yellow gold band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results