shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do you get custom pieces made when buying loose stones?

Snowlock

Rough_Rock
Pretty much the title... I am looking to buy a 3 stones from LGD, but it seems that no one I have used in the past is willing to set them (or even sell me a setting) if they aren't making a huge markup on their own diamonds. So where / who do those-in-the-know work with to get a good setting and have loose diamonds set into it without getting raked across the coals for daring to buy your own rocks?

I have picked out a couple stones, but haven't bought anything yet. I need to pick up a 3-stone setting (nothing crazy honestly, I'm not trying to get a bespoke setting so much as something likely 'in stock' with whoever will set it) and someone who will set the stones.

Thoughts / recommendations?

I have been working with Sara Commers for over a decade now. I always provide my own stones because I'm crazy :razz:

Last edited:
Pretty much the title... I am looking to buy a 3 stones from LGD, but it seems that no one I have used in the past is willing to set them (or even sell me a setting) if they aren't making a huge markup on their own diamonds. So where / who do those-in-the-know work with to get a good setting and have loose diamonds set into it without getting raked across the coals for daring to buy your own rocks?

I have picked out a couple stones, but haven't bought anything yet. I need to pick up a 3-stone setting (nothing crazy honestly, I'm not trying to get a bespoke setting so much as something likely 'in stock' with whoever will set it) and someone who will set the stones.

Thoughts / recommendations?

I would post this in the lab grown forum. I am sure you will get more responses there from people who have bought and set lab diamonds.

I would post this in the lab grown forum. I am sure you will get more responses there from people who have bought and set lab diamonds.

I'm sure I am stepping into something here, but why would it matter where I post this question between the "diamond" section and the "Lab grown diamond" section when I am asking about settings and jewelers...

I'm sure I am stepping into something here, but why would it matter where I post this question between the "diamond" section and the "Lab grown diamond" section when I am asking about settings and jewelers...

It doesn’t really unless you want to purchase the stones from the same vendor who sets them. Also sometimes people want different price points for setting labs and natural diamonds due to the different price points of the gems, and so people might have different recommendations.

We also aren’t supposed to discuss lab diamonds in rocky talky.

There are lots of posts from people in the lab grown forum regarding purchasing loose stones and having them set. I would imagine most jewelers would set both but they probably have more up to date information about jewelers and setters, etc. There are always issues with shipping, insurance, liability, etc. in setting loose stones. It is usually easier to have a diamond set by the seller but not all opt to do that.

There are always issues with shipping, insurance, liability, etc. in setting loose stones. It is usually easier to have a diamond set by the seller but not all opt to do that.

Yes, in my experience the best bet is to have the gem/diamond supplier ship it directly to the jeweler

Sometimes even though we can source loose diamonds for less it ends up being a false economy because setting the stones winds up costing so much more. In a case where the gem is not rare or hard to find (and lab stones qualify) I would usually recommend purchasing the diamonds from a vendor with the setting style I wanted as the most economical option.

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP