shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do you folks get your rings serviced if bought online?

terp4life

Rough_Rock
Hello all. I am new to Rockytalk.

Currently doing research for my upcoming E-Ring purchase and am leaning towards an online purchase over B&M choices. However, if I purchase from a local retailer, my lady could go back there periodically to have the ring cleaned and checked. I would like to hear how some other forum members maintain their rings. If you do have it serviced by a local dealer, how much do they charge on average? I would be worried about a random jeweler damaging the ring out of spite or incompetency?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re: Where do you folks get your rings serviced if bought onl

in my experience, simple cleanings are free. more detailed cleaning with polishing is $15.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I get my rings cleaned everywhere. Three of my local jewelers clean any and all jewelry I am wearing as I browse and they also check the stones and everything before they clean it.

One of the local shops has an in house bench (which I prefer) and they polish my rings when I need it I have platinum rings and they are usually 20-40 a pop on the polishing. I polish my wedding set about twice a year.

As for damage to your ring. Make sure the place has good reviews, and in my experience, that the bench is in house. I don't like places that send out repairs because then there can be finger pointing-- well *I* didn't damage it, the guy I sent it to did. NOPE. All in house, one throat to choke if anything goes wrong. I've never had anything go wrong though. I do speak to all the bench guys at least once though, just to make sure.

Just think of it this way. What would you do if you bought locally, then had to move to a different state? You'd still have to find a good place locally. Same routine.

Best of luck.

Just as an FYI... I don't let even solid local people fix pave. I send it back to the original manufacturer-- or I would send it to a pave expert that accepts repairs. Pave is something that I don't mess around with. But a simple prong check, tightening, polishing, sizing etc? Sure... a good local bench is fine with me.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Terp, I am guessing you were once from MD, and if you are still here, there is a great B&M store called Quest Jewelers (www.questjewelers.com) in Fairfax, VA. They do everything from full custom work to fixes/modifications. There is a thread about a ring they modified very successfully for me:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/paging-pregcurious.164336/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/paging-pregcurious.164336/[/URL]

If you're not in MD, you can post your general area to get suggestions from other PSers.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I generally clean and check my rings myself, but I use a high end local jeweler for any repairs or small jewelry purchases.

terp4life

Rough_Rock

pregcurious|1313545345|2992314 said:
Terp, I am guessing you were once from MD, and if you are still here, there is a great B&M store called Quest Jewelers (www.questjewelers.com) in Fairfax, VA. They do everything from full custom work to fixes/modifications. There is a thread about a ring they modified very successfully for me:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/paging-pregcurious.164336/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/paging-pregcurious.164336/[/URL]

If you're not in MD, you can post your general area to get suggestions from other PSers.

Yes, I am still in MD. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Thanks to everyone for their responses as well.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

Usually local jewelry stores will clean free of charge when you explore. I have had two jewelers not want to polish, citing their insurance would cover them if something goes wrong. If anyone knows someone in San Francisco that would be helpful!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

centralsquare|1313550586|2992373 said:
Usually local jewelry stores will clean free of charge when you explore. I have had two jewelers not want to polish, citing their insurance would cover them if something goes wrong. If anyone knows someone in San Francisco that would be helpful!

Hi Central, you are in SF proper or just in Nor Cal? I live in the east bay.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1313552401|2992388 said:

I'm in SF proper! Jealous of your East Bay weather!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

centralsquare|1313552529|2992391 said:

the Revere Academy is in SF, and they are one of the best jewelry manufacturing trade schools in the country (I'm considering taking courses with them actually). So there is actually quite a bit of talented bench people running about.

I would call Manika and ask them if they have an in house repair for jewelry that they haven't sold. If they say no, ask them for a recommendation for a place that does.

http://www.manikajewelry.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=70 Manika.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1313552899|2992395 said:
centralsquare|1313552529|2992391 said:

the Revere Academy is in SF, and they are one of the best jewelry manufacturing trade schools in the country (I'm considering taking courses with them actually). So there is actually quite a bit of talented bench people running about.

I would call Manika and ask them if they have an in house repair for jewelry that they haven't sold. If they say no, ask them for a recommendation for a place that does.

http://www.manikajewelry.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=70 Manika.

Thanks so much!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I actually would send mine back to GOG for resizing, or before I started the band "swap" process, I sent it back to SP for all but polishings and cleaning. Anything like resizes or whatever I would send back to the "maker". Probably excessive, but they set it/made it/whatever and I want them to deal with it. Ill pay what I have to pay for it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results