shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do you find what pricing should be for LG?

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, just wondering how you are determining lab grown pricing to know if something is a good value or at least the asking is as it should be. Is it based on mined diamond prices but for instance subtract 30%. I'm just guessing here. I am curious how to know if a lab diamond is priced well.
For reference I am considering a 3.01 G VS1 asscher for $11,500.
Thanks

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I had a dealer send me a B2B quote of -90% off Rapaport price list yesterday.
currently prices are being touted as related to natural diamonds.
In time it will disconnect as mined diamonds are related to rarity.
Double the carat weight = four times the cost.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It does present some interesting new considerations.
Our experience matches what Garry has said about discounts...but there's a new rub.
The "certs" which are acceptable on LG diamonds- such as IGI, can sometimes be a few grades off.
So what appears to be an amazing deal for an F ( for example) turns out to be a poor deal for a brownish looking H color. I've seen this myself. The growth and post-growth processes are by no means perfect. Otherwise, we'd have all D/IF stones. To say nothing of cutting differences.
It makes the dealer more important- and extends some of the rarity Garry mentioned if one is looking for exceptional LG diamonds.
Is it based on mined diamond prices but for instance subtract 30%. I'm just guessing here. I am curious how to know if a lab diamond is priced well.
For reference I am considering a 3.01 G VS1 asscher for $11,500.

Based on what I said above- I make no comment on the value of the specific lab-grown diamond you may be considering...only about the relative difference.

A nice 3ct Earth Mined G/VS1 Asscher is hypothetically ( based on a little online shopping at a major site) $50k...so the difference downward is more like your lab grown example is 75% below typical Earth mined price

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I hope the industry finds a way to encourage customers to pay more for lack of blue/orange and fewer metallic inclusions/stria that obstruct light. Seems like that would be a whole new subject matter for a lab report. Plus that would create an objective measure of value. Then a certain subset of LGD would justify a higher price. And it would be based a lot on craftsmanship. And useful to online shoppers. But IANAE.

It does present some interesting new considerations.
Our experience matches what Garry has said about discounts...but there's a new rub.
The "certs" which are acceptable on LG diamonds- such as IGI, can sometimes be a few grades off.
So what appears to be an amazing deal for an F ( for example) turns out to be a poor deal for a brownish looking H color. I've seen this myself. The growth and post-growth processes are by no means perfect. Otherwise, we'd have all D/IF stones. To say nothing of cutting differences.
It makes the dealer more important- and extends some of the rarity Garry mentioned if one is looking for exceptional LG diamonds.

Based on what I said above- I make no comment on the value of the specific lab-grown diamond you may be considering...only about the relative difference.

A nice 3ct Earth Mined G/VS1 Asscher is hypothetically ( based on a little online shopping at a major site) $50k...so the difference downward is more like your lab grown example is 75% below typical Earth mined price

Dagnabbit I’m waiting on an IGI-graded G. A G is scary enough with a GIA report (for me). *shudder* Keeping fingers crossed.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are parts of the LG diamond business that really mirror the diamond business.
At the wholesale level ( Earth Mined Diamond Biz)- there are tons of BS artists....claiming all sorts of things.
Clearly, it's essential for dealers to be able to find the right dealers/cutters t work with.
Same In Lab Grown.
And rarely are the best stones-the lowest price, if ever. Especially if the seller is very reputable.
The same thing for consumers.....bottom feeding is quite possible online....and people do get lucky.....but they're less likely to be disappointed going with one of the more reputable ( and not lowest price) sellers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results