shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do these seemingly unworn antique bands come from?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Today @MakingTheGrade posted her pristine antique gold band, and I posted my own mint condition Belais gold band. @YadaYadaYada also has one by Bristol. It got me wondering where these bands come from? They seem unworn. Have they been squirrelled away in a Jewelers closet for 100 years?? How do they end up in pawn shops (where mine came from) and antique vendors? Anyone who knows how vintage bands and mountings stay hidden away and unworn for 100 years please share your knowledge! And if you have one of your own please add it to the thread!

MTG’s:
Thanks to the sleuths on this forum who are always keeping an eye out for great pieces, I snagged this from Wilson’s valentines sale.

I think it goes great with my VC ring with an oec.

IMG_2050.jpeg IMG_2052.jpeg IMG_2054.jpeg IMG_2056.jpeg IMG_2066.jpeg IMG_2067.jpeg IMG_2069.jpeg

Mine:

IMG_2006.jpeg

IMG_2005.jpeg

Yada’s
Over the weekend DH and older son were watching Stranger Things and I tuned into a live on IG and this band popped up. I have been really good about not buying anything lately but have been keeping an eye out for a band like this. It is in pristine condition and I have looked for a long time for a band like this in a larger size, they are hard to come by. This one is by Bristol.

Anyways, got it today and I’m not sure how I feel about how it looks with my other rings. It’s 18k but definitely has a darker tone than my other 18k rings. I’m conflicted because it really is in such great shape and I’ve looked for so long.

So help me out, here are some pictures I snapped super quick this morning, also some of these rings are a bit small, but gold is too high right now, so excuse the finger pudge.

Here is the band in question
420E2219-6182-43D7-A67E-62B2668235BF.jpeg

Closer look
48C9A39E-862C-4A5C-9FC4-14E382A24E5C.jpeg

With the ring I’m wearing most often these days:
7BFADEED-A33D-4CA1-9B91-BBAFA0543ECD.jpeg

E8455885-8C33-4EA8-8424-987F3D734DCA.jpeg

C613B976-12C2-4C6F-9720-9E2F6072186A.jpeg

FDE9E0C0-723D-40FA-9C98-4D2ABA0BC51D.jpeg

3A74DB27-498D-414D-8893-15F74186C0AB.jpeg

Just for comparison, this is the band I wear most often with this ring, it is 18k and single cut diamonds aka Pearl’s ring.
0D98CB18-0BE0-47F3-8248-5060712C6D13.jpeg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sure wish i knew.....

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I learnt a couple years ago that there’s a Dude In Argentina who’s pretty well known for making repros that other vendors (most unsuspectingly, a few knowingly) resell as original antiques. Apparently this Dude In Argentina replicates vintage make and marks astonishingly well, and adds just the right amount of “wear and tear”.

For me personally - if I buy in good faith - that’s good enough. If that makes sense. Like, if I *tried* to buy a genuinely vintage piece… I don’t personally need to dig too far to ensure vintag-icity, I’m pretty happy with having tried. I know others might feel differently though.

Editing to add - I have NO idea at all about the three bands highlighted in this thread - no reason to think any of them aren’t vintage! Just sharing what I’ve heard from a couple tradepeople about the proliferation of antiques the past few years.

Last edited:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
So I learnt a couple years ago that there’s a Dude In Argentina who’s pretty well known for making repros that other vendors (most unsuspectingly, a few knowingly) resell as original antiques. Apparently this Dude In Argentina replicates vintage make and marks astonishingly well, and adds just the right amount of “wear and tear”.

For me personally - if I buy in good faith - that’s good enough. If that makes sense. Like, if I *tried* to buy a genuinely vintage piece… I don’t personally need to dig too far to ensure vintag-icity, I’m pretty happy with having tried. I know others might feel differently though.

Editing to add - I have NO idea at all about the three bands highlighted in this thread - no reason to think any of them aren’t vintage! Just sharing what I’ve heard from a couple tradepeople about the proliferation of antiques the past few years.

Like the Thomas Crown of rings. Cool.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve bought off an Etsy guy who sells what he says is New Old Stock, so apparently stuff from stores that have gone out of business and never got sold/worn.
My wedding band was apparently a restoration of a vintage ring that was bent and presumably not worn much after being damaged. It’s pretty pristine even now with ~7 years of wear.
I wonder if orange blossom rings fell thoroughly out of style tho why jewellers wouldn’t have melted them down, I’m not sure.
Honestly hard to know. I’m just grateful they do exist.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel quite bad in writing this, but the bench near to me who has come across these bands in the past has acquired them from descendants after the original owners passed away quite young, complete with original boxes & receipts. Bear in mind that many women going back just 70 - 80 years would die in childbirth, and a lot of these art carved rings came off after just one or two years of wear & got tucked away. Fast forward to grandchildren & great-grandchildren clearing out possessions, and they have no need or sentimentally to keep them.

Sad, but unfortunately true. They ARE beautiful & I have been on the hunt for YEARS to find one in my size (5.5 or UK K.5 should anybody find one).

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How nice to have a piece of jewelry referenced in a thread, thanks for remembering my band @Dreamer_D!

This band was such a lucky find both for condition and size. I would like to think it has just been tucked away all these years, maybe the owner felt it too precious to wear and wore a more plain band. I don’t think it’s a repro but it is in near pristine condition so it’s always a possibility.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a brooch that was only ever worn on Christmas day. It was passed on to a daughter that never wore it and then passed on to a granddaughter that didn't want it. When I received it, it was in pristine condition. I guess you can never really know but there are pieces out there that have been tucked away for years.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow this took a turn! Forgery!! Tragic death in childbed! War! These are all likely possibilities that for some reason I never thought about.

I’m definitely not put off by the realities of early death. I suppose all of us who covet antiques must contend with that reality as all of our pieces are connected to the departed in some way.

As to forgeries, now that would be a niche practice! The market for these rings can’t be huge and the prices are often low on the secondary market. Mine cost $235 and is made of a weird alloy (Belais white gold was a little weird). But people do weird things all the time! This wouldn’t be the weirdest.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I can speak for my own parents, married 54 years this year, they never wore their wedding rings. My mom would wear them for fancy events, so a few times a year maybe, but my dad, never. He actually sold his for scrap a few years ago. Not sentimental in the least! :lol-2:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I can speak for my own parents, married 54 years this year, they never wore their wedding rings. My mom would wear them for fancy events, so a few times a year maybe, but my dad, never. He actually sold his for scrap a few years ago. Not sentimental in the least! :lol-2:

Similar to my sister in law! My brother spent $$$ on her ER and wedding band. She has kept them in their safe deposit box since their wedding. She bought a cheap plain band off of Amazon and wears that instead! I have never seen her wear her real wedding set in the last 12-13 years lol

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Similar to my sister in law! My brother spent $$$ on her ER and wedding band. She has kept them in their safe deposit box since their wedding. She bought a cheap plain band off of Amazon and wears that instead! I have never seen her wear her real wedding set in the last 12-13 years lol

This feels really odd to a diamond lover! Is there a reason why? Does she have a sporty, super physical hands on job or something? Does she wear other jewellery? Maybe she just doesn’t like them?!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
@Ally T I think she just considers them too important and precious to wear! She does wear jewelry but mostly simple, dainty gold pieces. If there are diamonds in them they are just very small melees. I think she considers diamonds bigger than 1 ct as too flashy and not too practical. I also think it’s cultural. She came to the US after college to work for Motorola and met my brother while they were both getting their MBAs. I don’t think it’s the norm in many countries outside the US to wear ERs with diamonds bigger than 1 ct. If I recall, her ER is around 1.5-2ct and I wonder if she would wear it if it were actually smaller. She works in upper management for a global company at their silicone valley office. So just a desk job and I’m sure she has co-workers with much bigger diamond rings. She definitely would not look out of place wearing her ER.

My youngest brother is getting married this spring (He is 40 and his fiancee is about 3 years younger - so they are older and know what they like and don’t like). She definitely did not want a diamond ring and insisted on a simple gold band with 3 small sapphire baguettes in it as her ER. Her style is more on the simple, casual side and I don’t think she considers diamond rings to be practical or in line with her style either. I offered to lend her some of my jewelry for the wedding and she said her dress is “pretty casual” and that she doesn’t think she can “pull them off.” She is thinking to wear little to no jewelry. She bought a pair of small gold earrings that she is still debating if she should wear for the wedding.

My husband has a sister and she does wear her oval diamond ER on a daily basis but I don’t think she’s the type to upgrade or have multiple diamond rings either. She also enjoys more daintier pieces.

I don’t have any sisters and now that I am thinking about this, I guess I am really the only diamond/jewelry lover in my family at this point :think:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think it’s necessarily sad. In some sense it’s kind of nice that we are honoring and continuing the love of these couples by continuing to love and cherish their bands. We admire and appreciate the beauty of these rings that were chosen and bought with the best of dreams and intentions despite the original dreamers passing on. I know I personally smile at the idea of anyone wearing any of my jewelry in 100 years and being so excited about it they share it with internet strangers!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think it’s necessarily sad. In some sense it’s kind of nice that we are honoring and continuing the love of these couples by continuing to love and cherish their bands. We admire and appreciate the beauty of these rings that were chosen and bought with the best of dreams and intentions despite the original dreamers passing on. I know I personally smile at the idea of anyone wearing any of my jewelry in 100 years and being so excited about it they share it with internet strangers!

I also feel like this. I want to love ALL the unloved bands & bring them wear & happiness. Ones with inscriptions inside such as yours, pull at my heart even harder.

I would love a beautiful carved band in 18ct yellow gold. Inscriptions would be a bonus, but finding a crisp one in my size has always eluded me. They usually look really worn & faded, which is also lovely because they have seen lots of wear, but I want a crisp one. And authentic, not a new version, so I continue to hunt…

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dream ring is also a carved band in 18k yellow, inscription a bonus. I doubt I’ll ever find one in my large finger size but hope springs eternal!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dream ring is also a carved band in 18k yellow, inscription a bonus. I doubt I’ll ever find one in my large finger size but hope springs eternal!
Without knowing your size, would this work? No inscription tho but the pattern is very cool

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also feel like this. I want to love ALL the unloved bands & bring them wear & happiness. Ones with inscriptions inside such as yours, pull at my heart even harder.

I would love a beautiful carved band in 18ct yellow gold. Inscriptions would be a bonus, but finding a crisp one in my size has always eluded me. They usually look really worn & faded, which is also lovely because they have seen lots of wear, but I want a crisp one. And authentic, not a new version, so I continue to hunt…
Apparently vintage, size 5, gold. No inscriptions either sorry!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Without knowing your size, would this work? No inscription tho but the pattern is very cool
It’s stunning and I had seen it! I’m a 10.5 and I think that band would be a little too small especially if I want to stack! But thank you so much for thinking of me!

(Plus my bling bank is empty after I bought a bunch of 4-5mm OECs on eBay!)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently vintage, size 5, gold. No inscriptions either sorry!

Crisp details. Sigh…….. :kiss2:

I would be looking for 18ct gold though, as I am OCD about gold colour not matching up & everything I now wear is a buttery 18ct. Or I would wear a platinum one too! I would need a 5.25 at the minimum. Daniel M incorrectly sized my amethyst as a 5 & I could barely get it on & off. Had to have it adjusted over here as soon as I got it. Old Lady Knuckles are a thing!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crisp details. Sigh…….. :kiss2:

I would be looking for 18ct gold though, as I am OCD about gold colour not matching up & everything I now wear is a buttery 18ct. Or I would wear a platinum one too! I would need a 5.25 at the minimum. Daniel M incorrectly sized my amethyst as a 5 & I could barely get it on & off. Had to have it adjusted over here as soon as I got it. Old Lady Knuckles are a thing!

Would a size 6 work? I came across a very pretty 18k one with inscriptions as well…but it’s a 6 (maybe great if you intend to stack!)

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven‘t read the discussion above but I do want to mention that sometimes after a wedding, the person loses or gains weight (me) OR gets a fancier or less fancy band that they wear more. Sometimes people are careful and wear their wedding band only on special occasions and take extremely good care of it. (Whereas some people wear their bands to garden and never take them off!) Some people keep the wedding band they bought or used for the ceremony unworn but safe. My mom almost never wore her wedding band (unlike my Dad) but she always wore her Georgian stamped engagement band (she never wore diamonds) which she bought with my dad in the 1950s on a special occasion in a special place and had sentimental attachment to it. My dad wears his wedding ring every day!

Last edited:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow this took a turn! Forgery!! Tragic death in childbed! War! These are all likely possibilities that for some reason I never thought about.

I’m definitely not put off by the realities of early death. I suppose all of us who covet antiques must contend with that reality as all of our pieces are connected to the departed in some way.

As to forgeries, now that would be a niche practice! The market for these rings can’t be huge and the prices are often low on the secondary market. Mine cost $235 and is made of a weird alloy (Belais white gold was a little weird). But people do weird things all the time! This wouldn’t be the weirdest.

Sorry for Off Topic - Speaking of wierd alloys of white gold I recently encountered a Bluett (sp) patented white gold, and I couldn’t find out what this alloy is comprised of. It was made in the 1940s (when platinum was being used for the War) and the gold was marketed as white like platinum. Do you have any idea what the white gold alloys were made of back then?

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for Off Topic - Speaking of wierd alloys of white gold I recently encountered a Bluett (sp) patented white gold, and I couldn’t find out what this alloy is comprised of. It was made in the 1940s (when platinum was being used for the War) and the gold was marketed as white like platinum. Do you have any idea what the white gold alloys were made of back then?

I have seen rings from that era marked PALL for palladium so I would not be surprised if they used palladium in their white gold alloy.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven‘t read the discussion above but I do want to mention that sometimes after a wedding, the person loses or gains weight (me) OR gets a fancier or less fancy band that they wear more. Sometimes people are careful and wear their wedding band only on special occasions and take extremely good care of it. (Whereas some people wear their bands to garden and never take them off!) Some people keep the wedding band they bought or used for the ceremony unworn but safe. My mom almost never wore her wedding band (unlike my Dad) but she always wore her Georgian stamped engagement band (she never wore diamonds) which she bought with my dad in the 1950s on a special occasion in a special place and had sentimental attachment to it. My dad wears his wedding ring every day!

my mum wore her wedding band from the day dad put in on her fingerin 1965 untill well now, six feet under, she wanted to be burried with it on, as did dad with his
actually he never wanted a wedding ring back in the day (he wore a signet ring) but he came to regret it and for their 25th mum got him a ring
its a cultural thing, i know very few people who upgrade ER's or take off their wedding rings or have alterntitive ER's or wedding rings, , doesnt make either better or worse, we are just all different=)2

sometimes i see people wearing them on a chain around their neck

mum was very careful with her jewlery, never lost anything (wish i could say the same :(2 )
she did garden in her wedding ring but never her ER or any other fneary (although in saying that her long white weeding gloves did get downgraded to gardening gloves:lol-2:)
i do wonder why i have ended up with the great grandma's wedding band when everyone in the family seems to have worn their's into eternity ?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would a size 6 work? I came across a very pretty 18k one with inscriptions as well…but it’s a 6 (maybe great if you intend to stack!)

I think that would be too big :(2 I would definitely stack it, but I think a 5.5 would definitely be too loose between my fingers.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that would be too big :(2 I would definitely stack it, but I think a 5.5 would definitely be too loose between my fingers.

Makes sense, if I see any I’ll let you know! I came across some lovely bands when looking for comps for some rings I’ll be listing and saved a bunch =)2

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I love this thread and if anybody sees any bands in a size 8 please tag me!

This is from Australia too which is so rare but a bit big for me boo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results