shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do the eBay sellers get their jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

michelle collins

Rough_Rock
HI,
I can't find anyplace cheaper than eBay for diamond jewelry. It is not the top notch stuff but some is acceptable. Does anyone know where the sellers source their diamond jewelry and their pearl strands?
:wavey: :wavey:

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Michelle. It doesn't come from any one place. There are thousands of sellers on EBay, from every walk of life.

You have to be careful. Something that looks like a real deal on the screen usually turns out to be just what it's worth when you open the package. Take pearls for example. To the eye, on a computer screen, it might look like an electronic trader is selling strands for a fraction of what your local jeweler is selling them. Then, when you receive them, you find out that luster is low, the surface quality poor, the nacre thickness extremely thin, etc, etc, etc.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

geo10000

Rough_Rock
Hello Michelle, Rich has some good points here. Also remember that Ebay is a sort of "garage sale" which means you are buying "used" jewelry in a lot of the sales. The new jewelry sold is usually the stuff that did not sell well in brick and mortar stores or sold because the seller did not like it after having it a while. Ebay is a great avenue to make jewelry look better than it is since you are only looking at a one dimensional picture.

George

lacina

Shiny_Rock
I feel like I need to comment on Ebay sellers, since I know couple of people who sell on Ebay and have personaly purchased from Ebay and was very satisfied!
Geo1000 is right, most of the diamond sellers do offer the "gogs",...
I hope I dont have to explain what "dog" means in diamond terminology, however most people don't know the difference,... So you can pick op a 1/2 carat F/VS2 for $800 EGL certed! When you get the diampnd home you feel like you got yourself a great deal, because the cert will tell you all looks "Good" or "Goor to Fair".
Well the dogs are part of every parcel and they needs to be sold. So the seller is happy to find a buyer on Ebay, where the price is important!
There are also sellers who sell absolutely substandard quality. This means lowest grades less than Gem quality not suitable for jewelry but very much suitable for ..... Cutting glass??.. That is when you can buy 1carat diamond for $150...
Than there are sellers who sell gem quality. Such sellers are easy to be recognized. Their merchandize is often offered with certifficate of an appraisal or mention of it they offer fair service and terurn policy,...
Ebay is a great tool to fingd a good deal, some sellers use Ebay as a tool for fast sale at fair price! So yes, you can find a great deal on Ebay,..
And you can fond a great diamond on Ebay! And in my poinion Ebay is safe place to buy! Your purchases are insured, payments are secure and you get to post feedback every time you make a purchase.
One thing,... don't deal with sellers with negative feedback, ask questions because the small seller who has an acess to diamond stock at amazing prices can find you a stone you are looking for!
I found the Ebay sellers are mostly small companies just starting out they are cutters , importers, dealers or jewlers. Rarely private individuals who offer their ring for sale just to get rid of it at any price,...
Ebay is fun! And grat place to buy, if you know what are you looking for,...

George
GLE Gem Imports

George
GLE Gem Imports

Aimee

Rough_Rock
Hello -
I am hoping to purchase a diamond this summer. I have been all over e-bay looking at diamonds and have found some pretty nice ones, but am still weary. Does anyone know about these "clarity enhanced" diamonds? I spoke to my jeweler and he explained it to me, but I am still concerned. Are they fake? On a side note, I live in Chicago, does anyone know a diamond person I should go to in the diamond district? I would like to look around but don't know anyone and I think you have to have an appointment or something. Thanks, Aimee
:confused:

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Just the other day MSN had an article about sellers on ebay about escrow sites that are fake and fraudulent, usually set up by the sellers.

The article went on the say that many people had been offered expensive jewelry and escrowed the payment, only to learn they lost all their money and never got the jewelry.

Ebay doesn't help much in this situation.

So I would only suggest using ebay if you like rolling the dice, and can afford a loss, should you incur one.

Stick with legitimate jewelers and don't be motivated by the temptation of getting a cheaper price. The prices some items are sold for represent the earnings of the sellers, just like a paycheck.

How many people do you know that would work for a fraction of what they are worth? Granted there are some, but certainly not a population like ebay has, all "giving away" money.

If the price is cheap, there's a reason! Ask yourself : If you had a diamond that WOULD sell for $10,000.00 why would you offer it on ebay and potentially end up with less?

Act very prudently on ebay.... for anything you consider buying. There are some legitimate sellers there, but a lot of pirates too... be guided accordingly.

Rockdoc

Gladiator

Rough_Rock
After reading many posts by talented members of this forum and spending a lot of time at www.goodoldgold.com and www.consumerlab.com, ads such as this on E-Bay make me cringe:errrr:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2604823062&category=10216

There are so many more, but this one is REALLY laughable. Pity the poor person who responds to this ad.

Gladiator

Rough_Rock
Here is another...I couldn't resist...sorry.:bigsmile:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2604588910&category=10216

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Hi Roc Doc and all,
I should say something about Ebay,...
Yes it is true that ebay is a target of hackers and Pirates but most of them are buyers not a sellers! Pirates have tried to steel identities from another Ebay members used a fake escrow site and the poor seller who was foolish enough to send his jewelry ended up with no payment!
Ebay however is doing a great job of protecting buyers and sellers,...
Ebay is a wealthy company and it didn't get to be so sucessful not to be doing nothing against the pirates that actualy exist everywhere in Internet business,..
Ebay is working directly with FBI and Interpol to crack on such crimes.
Ebay is now a safe place to buy and sell! When it comes to diamonds and jewelry, there is a number of reputable dealers that use Ebay .
Ebay standard of pricing is about 30% below other internet sites and that is a fact! If buying from Ebay,.. You are mostly buying from small dealers and cutters,.. and some of the items are in deed substandard... If buying a diamond from Ebay, you need to do your homework and look for few days , check the sellers feedback and use an Escrow that is Ebay verified, and payments only thorough Ebay witch has now purchased Pay Pal, where your purchase is 100% insured against fraud and no need to worry about being ripped off! Also buy from sellers in US and Canada only , this is where our law will reach the crook if needed very quickly! If bidding on diamonds over $1000 make a phone call so you know that the seller is for real and legit!

Best
George
GLE Gem Imports

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gladiator,
This Ebay seller is a prime example of missrepresented item!!
You, as a good sport should point out this seller Diamonddepot to Ebay community so somebody can fix him up!
The seller has broken several rules and has missrepresented him self and the diamond he offers for auction! The value is absolutely a joke!
The diamond may be clarity enhanced and certainly not an SI2 (more like I3)
therefore the color is also in question,...
The seller claims to be a Titanium pewer seller with only 44 feedback??
Now com on and find us a better example of Ebay diamond deal! there are good ones out there!
George

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are ways to be smarter than the average consumer while using eBay. Look at feedback ratings, if there is a profile on the person and their business, look at their other auctions, what other items do they sell with their jewels etc (e.g. if they also sell antiques as well as older jewelry items that would make sense vs. selling knockoff gucci purses and diamond rings also), what have they sold in the past, etc. With all this info and their policy info under your belt (e.g. return and authentification), you can make an educated decision on how to spend your money. There have been times I really wanted, but didn't feel the level of comfort required for the purchase. There have been other items where I took a leap of faith with the information I had, and it ended well.

On a positive note, I bought a diamond bracelet from a seller on eBay, she had a good # of feedbacks, most of her items were used clothes, purses, and jewelry etc and she said she was cleaning out her closet. The bracelet had been worn only twice and repaired at the original jeweler when the clasp broke. It was white gold, .50 carats, link style (e.g. a bar of white gold then a small bezel diamond, then a bar, then a diamond etc), which is exactly what I had been looking at for everyday use. I got it for $200, when it was sent, it came with the original receipt from the jewelry store (a well known retail chain), the original box, and any history on repairs, etc. She had paid $800 for it, and the original price (she bought it on sale) was $1200. I know with all the markups and the fact that it was a typical retail jeweler could mean its worth less than the $1200 (the saying...the sale price is really what its worth..) but it is definitely worth more than $200! I get compliments on it all the time, and its been trustworthy as I bang it around on my wrist daily. I'm not a graceful girl. :)

Anyhow, it was a great purchase, I'm very glad I made it. I see bracelets like it sold in other retail stores and Nordstroms etc for over $800. I have been also considering buying an eternity .25 ring for around $125 to wear for fun from another eBay seller recently, we shall see. :)

As Kirk often says..buy informed! :) Then at least you feel good about your purchase in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results