shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do I maintain an online diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justinjustice

Rough_Rock
I am currently in the process of educating myself before making the big purchase for an engagement ring. My first step was to read fred''s book, but after finding pricescope and reading through forums and tutorials I feel much more informed. In fred''s book the tought of buying online was heavily denounced, but I now feel comfortable in moving forward and purchasing online, though I do plan to visit several brick and mortar places first for beginner''s experience. Here is my question that has been raised by fred book, which by the way has instilled me with fear of the personal jeweler''s ethical trade. After I have found, viewed, and appraised a stone for purchase, how can I trust an independent jeweler to set the stone and how do I go about maintaining the ring with cleaning and care. Do I only return to the place of business where I had the online stone shipped? Do I carry an ideal or other scope with me to make sure the jeweler has not swapped the stone for another? Is it true that a jeweler will purposefully torque a stone because it was bought online and not from the brick and mortar business out of spite? I am a young first time buyer and the thought of saving money appeals to me greatly, but I am worried about post purchase problems. Should I buy the setting from the brick and mortar to make him/her feel better? If I online order the entire ring, how can I trust anyone else with it?
PS: my sought ring with budget of $4000 out the door
Brilliant Princess
Cut: Most important
Carat: .70 - .99
Color: G - I
Clarity: VS1 - SI1
Setting: Platnium, unique/antique style
Any advice, suggestions, or ideas on a setting would be appreciated. Any thoughts on stlye for the "knife blade" band... I have not seen one in person yet.
Thanx, Justin
eek.gif

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
I bought the diamond online (Saved alot of $$$) but purchased the setting at a local brick and mortar so I was able to in essence, buy into "local jeweler support". The stone I purchased was an SI1 so it has characteristic inclusions under a loupe. In addition, it's laser inscribed so I feel comfortable getting the ring serviced by the local jeweler. I had the stone independently appraised by an independent appraiser which gave me the peace of mind that I had made the right choice. Finally, be sure to get the ring insurred! (I did Chubb) Good LUck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results