shape
carat
color
clarity

Where do all the diamonds go?

Apprepcen

Rough_Rock
How can I phrase this question another way? There are companies that buy hundreds of thousands of carats per year. What do they do with it? I have difficulty accepting that so much money changes hands for something that has no practical use.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Apprepcen|1307380513|2939042 said:
How can I phrase this question another way? There are companies that buy hundreds of thousands of carats per year. What do they do with it? I have difficulty accepting that so much money changes hands for something that has no practical use.

Sounds like a Thorstein Veblen fan!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Go down to the mall and look around. Look up how many malls there are. :read:

No practical use? I beg to differ. People buy diamonds because it makes them feel loved, because it makes them feel successful, because it makes them feel beautiful, because it impresses the neighbors, and just because they're cool little things to own. It's the same sort of reason people buy motorcycles, skateboards, designer clothes and most of the other things we spend our money on. What's impractical about that?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiamondCar.png millionair's-mercedes-06.jpg
gold-diamond-iphone-king.jpg diamond-earphones.jpg

They're plenty useful :bigsmile:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
There are also industrial and other uses for diamonds. I have a few nail files that claim to have diamond dust on them. :rodent:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apprepcen|1307380513|2939042 said:
I have difficulty accepting that so much money changes hands for something that has no practical use.

No practical use?
How else would we eat?

ause.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. So the images posted are disturbing (KENNY! OMG! Where did you find that!).

What pracical use does Chocolate have? Other than to make us fat? Cut flowers? A fancy paint job on a car? Fancy rims?

None, really.

It's just for joy. And happiness. If you don't get that... you really have a lot of studying up to do! :read:

thk3

Rough_Rock
I would hope that the statement made (the OP) was tongue in cheek, but I fear it was not. First, it seems that it is no ones business what the practical use of anything is if said item does no harm to others. Diamonds can be an investment, a token of one's love, or as the pictures show, just about anything you can dream of; granted not sure how practical a diamond covered Benz is.

I think the world would be a better place if people stopped worrying about everyone else and started focusing on themselves. So to the poster I say I hope you don't own a car that burns gas, go on vacation, eat out, or do other things that may be construed as frivolous; if so how practical are you?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1307404117|2939356 said:
(KENNY! OMG! Where did you find that!).

Say Girl, you sayin you din't notice my grillz Saturday night?
How much did y'all drink before I got there? :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thk3|1307404767|2939373 said:
I would hope that the statement made (the OP) was tongue in cheek, but I fear it was not. First, it seems that it is no ones business what the practical use of anything is if said item does no harm to others. Diamonds can be an investment, a token of one's love, or as the pictures show, just about anything you can dream of; granted not sure how practical a diamond covered Benz is.

I think the world would be a better place if people stopped worrying about everyone else and started focusing on themselves. So to the poster I say I hope you don't own a car that burns gas, go on vacation, eat out, or do other things that may be construed as frivolous; if so how practical are you?

Agreed!
Once again it comes down to respecting diversity instead of thinking there is ONE right way (your way) that everyone should live under. :saint:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The USA has been the greatest consumer engine on earth and is rapidly being joined by India and China. Diamonds represent a solid and permanent reminder of many romantic moments in life. It isn't diamond itself, but the marketing success of DeBeers and now many others that continue to give legs to this meaning. Diamonds have some of the lasting attributes of precious metals, plus an element of beauty that metals don't have. It is very emotional and somewhat irrational, but diamonds have been attached to beauty, love, romance and prestige for many decades. It isn't a short term fashion trend, but a rather long lasting and durable preference for a bit of pure carbon. Diamonds are loaded up and put away in safe deposit boxes, stuffed in jewelry boxes, on display in every possible way, yet more and more get sold to an every increasing consumer base. It is amazing to think how many stones already exist yet more and more get processed and sold. Yippee!!!!!
:appl: :appl: :appl:

Life is short and happiness is elusive. Frivolity is a very human occurence and those of us who are forunate enough to find moments of happiness and pleasure in life ought to celebrate it. From my perspective, life is indeed far shorter than I thought it was going to be when I was 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50. Don't have guilt about making someone happy with a beautiful gift.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results