shape
carat
color
clarity

Where could I get a pair of tsavorites as side stones ?

Lunean

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm new but I have read quite many threads here and admire how passionate some of you are about gemstones !
I am trying to have a ring made for my wife's 30th birthday. I have already acquired a nice 3 carats red spinel (vivid to intense colour, medium deep tone per the associated Lotus report) and I have been thinking about tsavorites as side stones to help the colour pop ! My favorite cut would be trillion but unfortunately I have not come across a lot of trillion pairs. Budget would be up to 400-500 dollars and size between 1.2 and 1.8 carats in total. If you have any idea, that would be greatly appreciated :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a beautiful, thoughtful and fun project!

Let’s see your spinel?? Please? Eye candy!
What color are you ideally looking for in the tsav?
Are you aiming in getting the same saturation/tone ballpark as your spinel or lighter? Leaning blue or yellow or neutral? Is major different scintillation level between center and sides a concern?

Budget suggestion would be to open your mind to a different shape (maybe heart?) outside of trade ideal color, and look at Multicolour or even reach out to him to see what he has.

(I have a ruby with demantoids ring - so have been where you are in these choices!)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I'd check with Alex Weber of Premier Gemstones. He sometimes has pairs available. He's on Instagram.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I agree with @Rfisher that the budget is a bit low for tsavorites at that size and carat weight. I’d suggest some beautiful lagoon or green tourmalines instead (and depending on your taste / tolerance for non trade ideal those might not be what you’re looking for). I’d jump on any tsavorite pair you find that fits the budget and style.

Yavoroskky has gorgeous sizeable tourmaline pairs and a few tsavorite options for your budget. I’d reach out and see about sourcing. Some are captivating to me and really well priced.

Lunean

Rough_Rock
Hi, thanks for your advice ! I am going to check all the ressources you gave me :)
I would be very glad to share some pics of my spinel but it seems I can't take a correct pic... It always appear more pink or orange than it really is :(

Lunean

Rough_Rock
Sounds like a beautiful, thoughtful and fun project!

Let’s see your spinel?? Please? Eye candy!
What color are you ideally looking for in the tsav?
Are you aiming in getting the same saturation/tone ballpark as your spinel or lighter? Leaning blue or yellow or neutral? Is major different scintillation level between center and sides a concern?

Budget suggestion would be to open your mind to a different shape (maybe heart?) outside of trade ideal color, and look at Multicolour or even reach out to him to see what he has.

(I have a ruby with demantoids ring - so have been where you are in these choices!)
I was looking for a lighter tone to help brighten the spinel (the latter is best under natural light) and hoping to have them a little brighter. I'm open to any other side stone to be honest but I'm afraid tourmaline would be a little too sleepy as sidestones (I might be biased against that gemstone). Different shape is definitely on the table ! Already reached multicolour, they have a very nice pair, eye clean (https://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1233393540), (though higher than my initial budget but you are 30 only once right ;-) ?) waiting for a video :) What do you think about it ?

Last edited:
Here's a lighter-tone matched pair in your weight range and below your budget. Naturally they're not going to be top color or clarity at this price point, but they may work nicely for your project.

And here are all of JTV's trillion tsavorites. They have more than one of many of the stones, so you could always choose one you like and buy multiples to make a matched pair. Good luck and happy birthday to your wife!!

I was looking for a lighter tone to help brighten the spinel (the latter is best under natural light) and hoping to have them a little brighter. I'm open to any other side stone to be honest but I'm afraid tourmaline would be a little too sleepy as sidestones (I might be biased against that gemstone). Different shape is definitely on the table ! Already reached multicolour, they have a very nice pair, eye clean (https://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1233393540), (though higher than my initial budget but you are 30 only once right ;-) ?) waiting for a video :) What do you think about it ?

Color and clarity look nice, but the cut would be a deal-breaker for me... they're all window. I'm afraid you won't get much sparkle with these guys. :???:

Lunean

Rough_Rock
Here are two pics of the spinel, though the stone is more lively in reality :) (I find it impossible to take it in picture correctly and my phone camera is really bad)
I'm definitely open for other side stones propositions if you have any ideas ! Just not a huge fan of diamonds overall. IMG_20240224_153000.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240227_114809.jpg
    IMG_20240227_114809.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 24

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about going down the custom route, and ping an e-mail enquiry to the likes of Jeff White?

Jeff posted about picking up quite a few Tsavorite roughs during his 2022's Tucson trip and may still have some roughs that could be suitable for trillions.

The budget would need to be doubled though at least for a pair of custom cut stones!

DK :))

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about doing something different and getting nice moonstone side stones? I love the look of moonstone and faceted gems, the contrast is beautiful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results