shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I get a brilliancescope reading in LA?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2carrots

Rough_Rock
The jeweler I'm buying from doesn't not have return policy (only a store credit). I want to get an appraisal beforehand, but don't know if it's possible without having to buy the stone (still negotiating). If I do get an appraisal, where in LA can I get a good appraisal that includes a Brilliancescope reading? Is a Brilliancescope reading really necessary? Is an appraisal necessary if the specs. for proportion are good? The diamond looks brilliant and has a lot of fire. Help!!!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If I were you and about to drop that kind of money on a stone I'd send it to RockDoc www.consumersgemlab.com to satisfy my curiousity and to walk into this decision with both eyes wide open. You're only doing this once hopefully and you don't want to make any decisions you're going to regret later. With no Sarin data and no refund policy (OUCH THAT SCARES ME) it is akin to playing Russian roulette with your 13k. Are you a gambler when the stakes are that high?

:errrr:

Rhino

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
If the stone is an AGS cert and you take a look at it you probably don't need an appraisal. I would not bother buying from them if they do not take returns. Buy online, out of CA. www.niceice.com is in Oregon so you will save the 9% sales tax you guys have (Jeeze). They sent my stone to MA and I had it the day after I ordered it. Came with a loupe and tweezers on loan. After doing that I would say it was a far better experience than being in stores and feeling like I am wasting their time by asking them for information they do not have at hand.

2carrots

Rough_Rock
The stone I looked at was gorgeous and I couldn't find the inclusions under a loupe, even though it was only a VS2. However, I am kind of paranoid about buying something so expensive. I took a look at Rocdoc's site, but was kind of turned off by the scare tactics. What to do?:confused:

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
I have a VS1 AGS000 and could not find the inclusions with a 10x loupe. Well, I did after a few minutes next to a 300 watt quartz-halogen light. I suggest a stereo microscope. I can see them in mine much more easily with that -- but they look like dust so if the stone is not friggen right out of the ultrasonic then you never know if you are really seeing them.

I think you should have more confidence in an AGS000 stone as long as it scores good on the HCA. But you are being smart to get a BrilliantScope reading if possible, because there are AGS000 stones that do not do so well on it. Spend an hour looking at nearly every stone on http://www.goodoldgold.com before buying. He has Brilliantscope images and very good photos of each stone and you can train your eyes for what to expect for any clarity grade. It will give you more confidence, and you might see a stone on his site you like instead -- and remember the sales tax difference and the fact that he allows returns.

student

Shiny_Rock
Other sites with B-scope scores are superbcert.com and diamondbrokersoffl.com. (You have to ask for them at dbof.) I haven't decided yet whether to limit myself to stones with B-scope scores yet. There are some criticisms of the B-scope that seem to be legitimate, but I still tend to think that a stone with great scores is a pretty good bet. Dave Atlas seems very highly regarded and does not go in for scare tactics like Rockdoc (gemappraisers.com). I would think that with a good independent appraiser who is willing to give you a frank opinion, there would be no need for the B-scope at all. The thing is, if you are not yet pretty confident in the quality of the stone before getting it appraised, you might have to be ready to go through a few appraisals before getting the right stone. For larger budgets this would not be too much of a problem, but multiple appraisals would eat into a smaller budget pretty quickly. However, since you can see the stone in person, you already have a pretty good idea it is nice, so I wouldn't get too hung up on the B-scope. If the B-scope is useful, it is more useful for online shopping.
If you can't get an independent appraisal before buying and you can't return the stone, that sounds pretty fishy.

barry

Shiny_Rock
You can call Gemex at (262) 242-1111 and ask them
who has a BScope in LA.

Shopping over the Net, the BScope is one tool to
assist you in making an informed decision.
Put that information together with data from the
Cert, Sarin, HCA and photos.
You will get a very good composite picture.

Advantageous if you can arrange to actually 'see' the stone.

For an informed in-depth evaluation, both Dave Atlas and the
Rockdoc are accurate and excellent.

Good Luck.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results