shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I find this Setting???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hi, I''m new to this site, but already learning a lot about diamond and I thank you all.
I was reading/looking "Show me your Ring" and fell in love with Mara''s eternity ring setting, and looking for a similar setting for my diamond, but couldn''t find anything like it. I know Cartier sells one like it, but I''m not willing to pay that much of money.......just yet. Considering her ring was custom made, is my only option to get the setting is going for custom made? In that case do you know how much is the setting going to cost? If anyone have any info. please let me know!!!!!
Thank you.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Going custom may be your best option. It will give you more control and sometimes saves you money. It depends on the size, # and quality of the stones and whether you go with plat or gold. But I'd guess probably anywhere from $1200/$1500 on the low end to over $3000.

Mara....any advice?

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your advice. I know I want to go with platinum, qualitiy of stones......if it's not too yellow, I don't really care much.(my center stone is G) Size, you mean my finger size? It is 4 4/3, so it's close to 5. Do you think I should just visit one on local jewelry stores and ask for a custom made, then?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry I missed this post til now.

Our ring was the product of 2 months of setting agonizing!!
2.gif
I had lots of pictures, lots of settings I liked, we weren't going custom, were going custom, etc etc.

My center stone is G as well, so I wanted G colored side stones, even if they are very tiny. The stones are VS clarity, .03c each, you can get the setting made with .01c for a VERY thin band, .02 for a slightly thinner band than mine, or .03 to look similar. You can even go .04 or .05 if you want to. My jewelers wife has my setting in YG with .04 stones (thats where we got the final idea for the setting), and it looks very lovely.

Your fingers are pretty small, so I would suggest not getting a large size band than 2.5mm depending on the size of your center stone. Do you want the stone to stand out amidst the small stones? If so, go for smaller size stones depending on your center stone. If your stone is around 1c..maybe 2mm for band width. 1.5c..suggest 2.5mm band width. Similar. Changing the band width will change the look of the setting. Very thin 1mm bands are similar to old style 1920's pave rings. The larger fatter bands around 3mm-4mm are more modern. I like thin bands (wanted 2mm) but we wanted one that was safe for the large stone and the small stones, so we got 2.5mm.

Our setting, custom made, was $2k. It has 26 .03c eternity style prong-set stones. Important to note is that the setting is NOT shared prong, each individual stone is held by 4 baby prongs. We did this for safety--as the jeweler was saying that eternity style bands take alot of wear and tear and I am clumsy as well, so he didn't want the baby stones to pop out or the band to get bent, etc.

My ring is also very heavy and sturdy. People are surprised when I put it in their hand. It feels good on, weighty but not HEAVY on the hand. It took a little while to get used to the weight and also the eternity style (e.g. I scratch my face sometimes when I put on lotions etc), but now I am very much used to it and forget its on (or off when I take it off to put lotion on, sometimes I forget to put it back on then must wander around the house looking for it..YIKES).

For a smaller finger such as yours, you may only need around 20 stones rather than my 26 (my ring finger is size 6), so you can go with slightly larger stones if you want a little more impact, or if you want more of a pave/melee look, go with .02c or my .03. You can get SI quality to save some $$ as well, as no one will know...I just was picky with VS since my center stone is VS.

Pricing wise..I think ours was a little steep, as I have seen regular eternity rings with same size stones G VS quality for around $1400 in white gold. But ours is plat and again..the custom thing adds a little bit of $$$ to the pie as it has to be molded and made from scratch.

Anyway if you visit a local jeweler, take in pictures of settings you like, ask who does their custom work and make sure the designer is good. The person who designed our ring is one of the best people in the small valley of Aptos and does most of the local jewelers custom work, so we were very happy with the result.

Oh and lastly, discuss the head of the stone with the jeweler. Ours is a tulip head, and at first I didn't like it as much when it was done because the head sits a little higher than I wanted. However, it really frames the center stone nicely and sets it up a bit from the band, AND it makes sure that my matching eternity style wedding ring can sit FLUSH against the e-ring. A lower head would not have permitted that. And now I'm really used to it and it doesn't catch on things because the tulip head is very rounded as opposed to spiky.

Hope this helps!!
1.gif

PS...If you like my ring, check out the Michael B collection of pave eternity rings. Very similar, but pricier ($2700 for the eRing without center stone) with less ctw (.45ctw as opposed to my .72ctw). Plus ours was custom and I literally have never seen another one like it!!! Except the jewelers wife that is. But in YG it looks like an entirely different ring.

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
We can always count on Mara to write a book!
LOL!
2.gif

wintotty

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for very detailed info!!!!
I don't know how much thin I can go for a band.....cause my center stone is 2.04 Radiant Cut. I first tried simple soliter ring. It was alright, pretty, but not striking...then I tried a really thick band with a little channel set side stones. This ring actually looked really beautiful, but I had to let go, because my finger soon get really irritated by wearing a wide band all the time. I guess I'll take my diamond and pic and your advise to a local jeweler and ask what they suggest.......and see what happens next.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a good idea. If you can't go too thin then I'd suggest around 2.6mm-3mm which would be a nice size for a 2c radiant. Anthing over 3mm may be too wide if you can't wear a wide band. My ring is 2.5-2.6mm so that gives you an idea, with the look 7.15mm diameter stone.

Good luck!!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results