shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I find quality moonstones?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I am looking for good quality blue flash moonstones with a clear body (8 mm x 6 mm ovals) for a potential necklace project. I am trying to match existing stones from Barry. Does anyone know of a good source? I can't find any at ACS, Multicolor, Jemcal, or Litnon.
Thank you!
-Preg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Re: Where to find quality moonstones?

Did you ask Barry?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Sally of heartwater on etsy can source them, if you do the necklace through her.

I usually see tons of them at the gem shows too.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The really, really fine ones with completely crystal clear body, zero inclusions and a strong blue schiller are very hard to find even at source and are pretty expensive. I was out at the main source - Meetiyagoda in Sri Lanka - in April doing a report on the mines and managed to pick up a couple of small ones (and they were very expensive even at source). But they really are like the top pearls at Mikimoto - something like 0.05% of production.

Richard Wise had two on his website both now sold. Both were over $3k.

http://www.rwwise.com/products/id%7C1611

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good points Pandora.

Super fine example of moonstone here too.

Depending on your budget, you may want to get ones with inclusions and less blue.

I have seen some very pretty ones at the gem shows however, although not top top quality, but still really lovely. They would probably be more optimal for a necklace since you would need so many of them.

5707304927_90f0d0abfb.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
The ones Pandora speaks of from Sri Lanka are indeed the finest there are. It's a shame only sporadic stones are found these days as they really set the standard for moonstones and nothing comes close in terms of quality. Lucky pandora :naughty: ..:)

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
There's this one from Art Cut Gems that I think is quite pretty:
http://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=783

I actually purchased it last week then decided to send it back. It's a very nice stone, however I have a small pair of moonstones I've been trying to match (to make a 3 stone ring) and this one just didn't match as much as I would've liked.

I also came across this shop on Etsy that has a few nice moonstones:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/bestgems/s...pe=user_shop_ttt_id_5316671&shopname=bestgems

The owner of that Etsy shop also has another shop called MasterGoldCraft and has some larger blue moonstones already set into rings. I think if you ask he may be willing to source you one or might have some more not listed.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
amethystguy|1309539388|2959997 said:
The ones Pandora speaks of from Sri Lanka are indeed the finest there are. It's a shame only sporadic stones are found these days as they really set the standard for moonstones and nothing comes close in terms of quality. Lucky pandora :naughty: ..:)

Lucky Pandora's mother actually - it's her ruby wedding anniversary coming up and we're giving her a pendant set with a 0.38ct top colour unheated ruby and a 3.16ct tear-drop moonstone - still need to finish the design. I will kill her if she drops it as it is totally flawless, but it deserves to be worn rather than locked in a box like the other ones!

TL - I think that is one of the most beautiful rings that Leon has ever created.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I emailed Barry and he is going to check.

That ring is really beautiful.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I want one too. I have also had a tough time finding one.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pandora|1309542049|2960031 said:
amethystguy|1309539388|2959997 said:

Lucky Pandora's mother actually - it's her ruby wedding anniversary coming up and we're giving her a pendant set with a 0.38ct top colour unheated ruby and a 3.16ct tear-drop moonstone - still need to finish the design. I will kill her if she drops it as it is totally flawless, but it deserves to be worn rather than locked in a box like the other ones!

TL - I think that is one of the most beautiful rings that Leon has ever created.

Pandora, that sounds like the most beautiful pendant ever. Please share pictures when you are able. Please?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results