shape
carat
color
clarity

Where can I find large (5.0 carat and up) tanzanite cocktail style rings online?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Coloratura

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking of getting a large (around 5.0 carat) tanzanite cocktail ring , either emerald or cushion-cut. I'm looking for that magical combination of royal blue and purple. Many of the tanzanites I've seen , while beautiful , are either too purple , or they look too much like a sapphire. There's also a beautiful pale , icy lavender/light blue tanzanite that's more popular than the color I'm talking about.

Here is a pic of the color range that I'm talking about:

It_IS_Tanzanite.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you in the UK or the US? If you're in the UK I can help. If you would consider buying a loose Tanzanite and having it set then www.multicolour.com is a good place to start. Or you could try www.lapigems.com who have the most stunning loose Tanzanites.

The colour you want is top grade Tanzanite. I bought this ring for £899/$1800 in the UK, 2 years ago, and it's 4.45ct plus diamonds on top. It has more blue than purple but is gorgeous.

Coloratura

Rough_Rock
35.gif
Hi LovingDiamonds ,

That is a beautiful ring! (Very "drool-worthy.") The color of your ring is the color I''m after. The rich color is gorgeous.

I''m in the U.S. but I''m off to check out those sites you listed.
36.gif

Thanks so much!
9.gif

Coloratura

Rough_Rock
35.gif
Hi Harriet!

Thank for the link , I''m off to check it out!
9.gif

Coloratura

Rough_Rock
Wow , looking at some of these loose tanzanites and drooling!

I''m curious though , I see some gorgeous ones that have been "heat-treated." I''m know that''s often done with rubies and sapphires but , an unheated is "ideal."

Are treated tanzanites the norm?

Thanks.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes heat treatment is the "norm". When tanzanite comes out of the ground it is generally a brownish/blue/grey colour - some does come out blue but generally speaking all Tanzanite is heated to achieve the wonderful colour you want.

You can get unheated green, yellow and pink Tanzanite - however, getting one in anything over 1ct is very difficult. Pink Tanzanite is exceptionally rare. If you want to see some, I think they have some at www.lapigems.com I think they''ve probably got a Tanzanite tutorial on both the websites I mentioned as well. I''ve got yellow, green and pink tanzanites if you want to see a real life photo!!! You probably won''t be bowled over by them though as they''re a bit "mmmmm ok" not "wooooooooooow" if you know what I mean!!!
emsmile.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 3:57:54 PM
Author: Coloratura
Wow , looking at some of these loose tanzanites and drooling!

I''m curious though , I see some gorgeous ones that have been ''heat-treated.'' I''m know that''s often done with rubies and sapphires but , an unheated is ''ideal.''

Are treated tanzanites the norm?

Thanks.
They are the norm. You may be able to find one that''s been heated naturally in the ground, but be prepared to pony up!

Coloratura

Rough_Rock
Hi LovingDiamonds!

I would love to see your colored tanzanites!
21.gif

I''m just starting to get "into" tanzanites due to that unusual royal blue/purple color.

I''m still searching around trying to find that perfect balance of those two colors - with the cut and carat weight I want.

I have such fun visiting these loose gem websites!

35.gif

Coloratura

Rough_Rock
Hi Harriet!

Thanks for telling me that naturally heated tanzanites exist. I''m not as preoccupied with finding an unheated one since I read that the heating process doesn''t affect the color. And , I think , with tanzanites , the most important thing is that color.

21.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Coloratura

No probs! Apologies in advance for the awful photos. I took them on my old camera! Here''s the pink, natural and unheated. Just over 1ct:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The green. This is just over 1.5ct and in real life looks like the colour of a Demantoid Garnet:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finally a yellow. This is a peachy golden yellow - really pretty and very difficult to describe and much much nicer than the photo makes it look!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results