shape
carat
color
clarity

Where are some places I can find rose cut diamond jewellery?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend and her bf are in the early stages of engagement ring shopping. They are really attracted to rose cut white/clear diamonds... and I mean, who isn't? They have such a unique beauty, and are a great way to have a nice stone that is not super showy. She's been looking at round rose cut but I would imagine she's open to oval rose cut too. I know JbG has some sometimes, but are there any other spaces they should be looking?

Styles my friend has liked are these catbird pieces here:

https://www.catbirdnyc.com/wedding-engagement/odette-the-swan.html

https://www.catbirdnyc.com/wedding-engagement/odette-the-swan-supreme.html

And also she likes a plain bezel, too. I feel like the catbird options are beautiful but that she could get a better value (maybe) if she bought a loose diamond and had a custom setting done by David Klass.

What ideas have you got for her? Thanks in advance! Budget is around $3000-5000.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Where are some places I can find rose cut diamond jewell

Look in Indian (as in from India) jewelry stores. Even if you are in the US there are stores that specialize in pieces that appeal to Indian styles. That's where you'll find the rose cuts.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I definitely think JBG is a good place to look, since she often has great rose cuts. I would reach out to her and see if there's anything not on the site yet. I think the catbird settings are really pretty, and if she likes them I might just go with it. But I'd recommend also looking at some of the antique places (lang antiques, for example), since rose cuts were more common in older rings. Another place to browse might be Trumpet and Horn.

One thing I don't think I can post here but is worth a look is listed on DB (diamond bistro). It's a sim rose cut ring, but I think your friend might respond well to the setting, so she could potentially reach out to the seller to inquire where she got the setting (or ask if maybe the setting could be purchased alone). It's similar to a Cathy Waterman style (another designer for your friend to look at).

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock

I love those catbird rings - they are so lovely and delicate - but I do think they are a little overpriced, I don't love the profile view, and (much bigger issue) I would personally want to be able to pick the stone myself, since rose cuts do not hide inclusions well. I would ask Grace at JbG what she can source for rose cuts and what her bench could do inspired by that setting. Her bench is great and reasonably priced. For $5k (heck, for $3k) I think she could set a much nicer center stone than .35ct H/SI1 in a similar setting.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd thought that Manak Jewels in San Francisco -- a source for contemporary rose cuts (of better cut, clarity, and finish than the ones I've seen in Asian Indian jewelry stores in Queens) -- sold only to the trade, but I see now that there are some older threads here where the PSer purchased directly from them. No harm in giving them a call:
http://www.manakjewels.com/rose_cut.htm

Similarly, I believe Michael Goldstein, Ltd. here in NYC's Diamond District is to the trade only, but again there's no reason not to call him... although your girlfriend or her future husband is likely to hear (if he's willing to sell directly to them) that his inventory is priced higher than they wish to spend:
http://www.antiquediamond.com

One caution re vintage or antique rose cut rings: the rose cuts in these old rings were often foil-backed -- to eliminate the see-through aspect of the cut, which doesn't appeal to everyone -- and the foil may have flecked off in spots or otherwise not be in mint condition, so the diamond now looks to have inclusions. If that's happened, I think you're "stuck" with it; IIRC the foil backing cannot be removed, nor can it be satisfactorily restored. JbG's descriptions have seemed to be quite honest about noting this less-than-marvelous condition where applicable, but not every estate jeweler is so candid.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I have forwarded the links to my friend and I will update when/if I get some more info from her about specifics.

emarmaridou

Rough_Rock

Eva Fehren...beautiful rings

LindaFletcher

Rough_Rock

I decided I wanted a rose cut diamond anniversary ring as well, I wanted a large bezel set stone instead of a cluster. After months of looking online (the ones I found were either incredibly expensive, too small or very cloudy) I walked into our local jewelry store and was checking out their estate section and there was a 3.65 carat rose cut from 1850 (untouched since then) staring right at me! :love: I almost didn't buy it because it was foil backed and looked grey and dirty (but still beautiful) and I thought nothing could be done about the foil backing but the jeweler happened to specialize in antique jewelry (I'm in Maine) and he was able to have one of his guys remove the stone and clean it, put a new gold bezel on it (the old bezel was silver and we worried about it's strength) and best of all cut a nice little hole in the foil backing to allow for cleaning. We were still able to keep the most of the original backing and all of the antique setting which is very unique and I love. The diamond does have a visible inclusion or feather but I don't care, it's large and clear and soooooo pretty! My advice would be to ask around locally, i can't believe i'd been searching online forever and there it was in my local jewelry shop! Plus, if you get an expert you can remove the foil backing or modify it so don't let that be a deterrent. Good Luck!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Linda, Please start your own SMTB thread with pictures of your ring!!! Sounds amazing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results