shape
carat
color
clarity

Where are Cartier engagement rings made?

k3wt

Rough_Rock
Asked for a quote from a local jewellery maker today and mentioned I was after a setting similar to the Cartier 1895 but tweaked a little. He said I could have it exactly the same because they make rings for Cartier - They would then ship it off to Cartier who would then stamp their brand logo onto it. How much truth is in that?! I queried this and thought surely they are all cast made in Paris? His response was due to the volume and demand they can't and therefore have local workshops make them.

What do you think? He sounded pretty cocksure....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no knowledge regarding Cartier, but I do know sometimes master jewelry makers that we may use also may do work for big name brands. I have heard that before but have no factual evidence. I do know that a PS jeweler I have used before would send rings to be set, and certain repairs to the bench that does Tiffany work on the west coast. So I do think there are occasions that they have more benches than one central one. I doubt Cartier or any of the big brands would ever answer that question, though. It would occur to me to maybe ask that jeweler to show you an invoice or order with the Cartier name on it to verify the truth of his statement. If he is lying, I wouldn't want to give him my business.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I have absolutely no knowledge about this, but I do live in London and have a Cartier watch and I know that it has to be sent to Paris for even the smallest repair--like having the crystal changed. If they're that proprietary about something like that, it seems slightly counterintuitive that they'd be outsourcing jewellery making to another country. Still, stranger things have happened...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that even if a jeweler was doing work for Cartier - and I'd find that doubtful that you just so happened to stumble upon him - he wouldn't risk that working relationship offering you what he is offering. Why would he want to possibly jeopardize that relationship with one ring? I'd run, not walk!

k3wt

Rough_Rock
Well it was in London, hatton garden. Sound any fishier?

As far as watches are concerned it's normal to be sent back for crystal replacement because the whole watch needs sealing and pressure testing again. Probably serviced at the same time too.

k3wt

Rough_Rock
Anyone else have any thoughts?

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some time ago they did have local contractors manufacture on their behalf. Then they brought everything in house.....fishy. Also, there is absolutely no way that a mounting would be stamped by cartier if the diamond was not purchased from them. They are not in the business of selling mountings.

k3wt

Rough_Rock
That's a very fair point. the alarm bells have rang :)

Many thanks for your opinions!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's vendors like this that give the jewellery industry a bad reputation :(sad I'm so glad you found PS!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results