shape
carat
color
clarity

Where are all the specialty cuts????

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was super excited about MMD because I thought I would be scooping up ovals, kite, Asschers, duchess, bullet, fat pears, etc because they would be affordable. Besides August Vintage, I haven’t seen much out there for non standard cuts. Are they out there?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was super excited about MMD because I thought I would be scooping up ovals, kite, Asschers, duchess, bullet, fat pears, etc because they would be affordable. Besides August Vintage, I haven’t seen much out there for non standard cuts. Are they out there?
I empathise with your slight despair! lol

There have been discussions previously on the forum about the opportunities that MMD rough could open up - along the lines of how if rough is now a tenth of the price of Mined (or whatever fraction) then experimentation and cut development/innovation should surely accelerate, because now there is no/much less financial restriction on such activities.

Similarly, it could offer the opportunity to really increase the importance of 'Cut' within the 4Cs. If the rarity (and therefore high cost) of good quality Mined rough is replaced with a regular supply of top-quality (Type IIa) cheap MMD rough, it means that retail prices could still be maintaned at a level that works for growers, cutters and retailers by the skill of the cutter being more highly valued and taking up a bigger percentage of the final retail price, because even paying more for top-notch cutting would still mean MMD stones are attractively (lower) priced. (Does that make sense? I'm struggling slightly to explain what I am trying to say!)

Have we seen any of such work, though? As you say, apart from @Rhino's sterling work (thank you!! :)) ) it seems that most diamond traders and cutters remain willingly or inadvertently focused on Mined as their material of choice - be it through wishing to maintain an 'image', wishing to maintain the 'integrity' of diamond as a high value luxury product, or because they are ignorant of developments and oportunities in the MMD world (from what I can tell - I'm sure there are many other reasons!).

I can understand the desire to maintain diamonds as an aspirational product, rather than them becoming 'cheap and cheerful' fashion jewellery, so how the market plays out will be interesting. Rhino is leading from the front with a focus on Cut (naturally! :) lol) but will others follow? I don't know.

I live in hope of a 2.5ct E/F VVS/VS1 Octavia or Yoram vintage asscher cut coming to the market at a couple of grand... LoL, but I appreciate that may well never happen!! :lol:

Perhaps development work *is* being undertaken on MMD rough but the good results are then being applied to Mined stones for retail purposes?!

I think Rhino would be the best person to ask as a starting point, as he could always commission something new and esciting if it's not already available :) or you could maybe even sound out diagem/Yoram!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to say - Diamond Foundry does have quite a range of shapes!

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to say - Diamond Foundry does have quite a range of shapes!

I was excited about Diamond Foundry when I first saw their website, but I'm still waiting for them to post videos of an example of the performance or something other than an in-house certificate....

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LAD recently posted non-round MMD on her IG.
4F435417-F26F-4545-9077-1FA1945E3272.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LAD recently posted non-round MMD on her IG.
4F435417-F26F-4545-9077-1FA1945E3272.jpeg
Oooh, carre cut! (Or at least a carre cut-style asscher!)

*goes off to search it out*

lol

EDIT: I lied, it's listed as a Lozenge cut. Although if you squint a bit, it looks like the only difference between a carre cut and a lozenge cut is the way in which way it's being held? lol

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like Diamond Foundry (where LAD sources stones) have a few interesting shapes!

Hexagon (@Menlikediamondstoo ;-) )
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzL0HCKFeE_/

Rose (although domed-side down here)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzQ2Jf-FnR4/

Hexagon Rose? lol
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWqI6UfF8BL/

Felix (looks like an interesting EC with French Cut flavour??) - not dissimilar to the Tycoon cut, perhaps?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvcOsFXHeYf/

Capri (looks like Stepcut pavilion, brilliant crown, round/oval in shape?)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvKeau6HcDX/

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, carre cut! (Or at least a carre cut-style asscher!)

*goes off to search it out*

lol

EDIT: I lied, it's listed as a Lozenge cut. Although if you squint a bit, it looks like the only difference between a carre cut and a lozenge cut is the way in which way it's being held? lol
With thanks to LAD for addressing my query :D lol:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0oRWUnpy2W/

I can see the lozenge shape better now - great pictures, thank you! :))

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Phanie Good for you! Please come back and let us know your thoughts. The pics of it look great, lots of light play in the steps. How would you set it?

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
@kgizo What I have in mind right now for that lozenge is teeny tiny claw double prongs, solid onyx bezel and small 1 to 2mm OECs melee or frenchies halo.
I would trust Erica with my life , she has done above and beyond to find me peices that I love, I have been chatting with her about a small purchase (that I might still add) and she showed me that lozenge (I have been lurking at lozenge rings for a while but could never find one or a stone that was big enough and not too pricey).I have looked at DF for over a year now, they were not super clear about their business (ie not saying plainly that they manufacture the diamonds) but I feel they are more open now and they are growing bigger rough so bigger good stones are available. I hate the mining process so MMD is (I feel) cleaner.
I was not on the market for another diamond but if this one speaks to me, it will be mine.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kgizo What I have in mind right now for that lozenge is teeny tiny claw double prongs, solid onyx bezel and small 1 to 2mm OECs melee or frenchies halo.
Ooooooh, French Cuts with that lozenge and an onyx bezel would be awesome!! :love:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock
I am seeing this guy tomorrow and possibly buying it!

I noticed she said this was sold. Did you fall for it, in person? Have you thought more about settings? I loved this cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results