shape
carat
color
clarity

Where are all the princess diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fabienne

Rough_Rock
I went to GOG on Thursday with the intent of upgrading the stones in my curent ring. In my mind, I was thinking I would go for the best cut I could afford in a slightly larger size in I and no lower than sI1. My current center stone I believe is .625, maybe lower but we''re not really sure and definitely not sure about the color. Because it is a Zales ring, I''m just assuming that they are I color bur they definitely have obvious inclusions. Pretty much everything would end up being an upgrade form there.

The diamond that was suggested to me was not currently in house and so I am awaiting a video on that. The "problem" is that the diamond is a .69 carat AGS0 G VVS1. Being that I haven''t seen it yet, I guess I feel like I''d be paying a little more than I was willing to..not so much budget wise (the diamond I believe is 1500) but more clarity and color wise. It doesn''t seem that there are many I colored AGS rated princess stones out there under a carat so it seems to me that if I don''t buy this one (assuming its good) that I might be waiting forever for one to come in that fits exactly what I am looking for.

Because I am not that comfortable with purchasing online(not that good at reading ASET images and don''t have equipment here at home--trying to avoid that), I feel that I should stick with GOG but they didn''t seem to be that confident that we could find that diamond anytime soon either or that I''d save much money anyway by doing so. I keep thinking maybe I can get just a bit more size if I go lower in color and clarity.

I might buy myself an eternity band instead to keep me busy/happy while I wait for a diamond of my preference to come in. I will definitely wait for the video to come in on the diamond before I make my decision but I wanted some input.

Assuming the diamond is a winner and worth the price, would you just go ahead and pay for the higher clarity and color or wait it out?

Thanks.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, can you clarify a few things.

What is your budget for the new stone?

How much larger would you like to get?

It sounds like you would prefer an I SI1 but haven''t found any in stock? And you are wondering why the inventory for princess stones is so low? I wonder too. What did GOG say about it?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been wondering the same myself. I particularly love princess cut diamonds and helping people find good ones...but there really seems to be a shortage these days! Especially around the 1-2ct range.

As for the GOG stone...I would wait for the video and see if you love it. G is a great color, even if VVS1 is a bit of clarity overkill. The princess that spoke to me happened to be VVS2. Did I seek out VVS clarity in particular? No, but that rock was *the one*. So if the G/VVS1 fits in your budget, it could be a good choice.

To open up your options...you mentioned you''re not too comfortable buying online (and GOG is certainly a fantastic vendor), but what about something like a Whiteflash ACA or an Infinity? These particular brands are cut to exceedingly high standards, and you really can''t go wrong with them. We could also help you with the ASET images and such. My princess (see my avatar) is an ACA. You''d have to check about the trade-in policy of each vendor, but here are some options in addition to the one you found:
0.69 F/SI1 Infinity
0.71 F/SI1 ACA

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Inventories are down because diamond production is down. Credit is tight within the trade now and operations are reacting to the economic climate. Mining operations are being way scaled back, and Debeers diamond sites have been pretty small recently. Supply is getting tighter as inventories are being depleted. It would be absurd to think that all the supply cuts wouldn''t have an effect on retail availability...

As a result of all this I recommend you get your deal now before it is gone and the market adjusts prices higher to reflect the new availabilty. I could be wrong though, but I doubt it.

fabienne

Rough_Rock
Good morning! Thanks for the replies....

My total budget is $4000 (even though I just remembered yesterday that I haven''t paid my taxes yet..lol!)

My ring is a three stone so I will also be upgrading the side stones as well. And I''m a bit embarassed to admit that I''m also hoping to have some money left over for a new 3/4 eternity band....but I know that''s not being totally realistic.

I don''t know how much larger I''d like to get because we aren''t exactly sure what maximum size stone fits in the center stone. I will probably have to scrap that as well though because I think if I get a larger center stone, wouldn''t the side stones have to be larger as well? I''m not that in need of a larger stone, but just thought it would be nice. I can totally live with even the same size as long as I know I''m upgrading my light performance.

Actually, I was interested in the VS range and was willing to go down to SI1 as long as it was eye clean. Or I guess I was hoping to find an eye clean SI1.

Thanks for the input. I will check out the links provided. If the diamond turns out to not be the one, I will definitely look for assistance in locating a diamond online.

Diamond rock..I will definitely keep your advice in mind.

One more question and I''m not sure if has been asked before but are some inclusions "worse" or "better" than others? Can types of inclusions be ranked? From what''ve read it seems like perhaps feathers are the worst...but is that only when the''re near an edge?

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
About the inclusions: Feathers around the girdle can occasionally pose durabilty issues its true, but centrally located dark crystal inclusions can very visible and unsightly especially if they are right under the table or located in the pavilion and show reflections. I like twining wisps, they are almost always very light in color and rarely show in the diamond to the naked eye.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 11:23:25 AM
Author: fabienne
Good morning! Thanks for the replies....

My total budget is $4000 (even though I just remembered yesterday that I haven''t paid my taxes yet..lol!)

My ring is a three stone so I will also be upgrading the side stones as well. And I''m a bit embarassed to admit that I''m also hoping to have some money left over for a new 3/4 eternity band....but I know that''s not being totally realistic.

I don''t know how much larger I''d like to get because we aren''t exactly sure what maximum size stone fits in the center stone. I will probably have to scrap that as well though because I think if I get a larger center stone, wouldn''t the side stones have to be larger as well? I''m not that in need of a larger stone, but just thought it would be nice. I can totally live with even the same size as long as I know I''m upgrading my light performance.

Actually, I was interested in the VS range and was willing to go down to SI1 as long as it was eye clean. Or I guess I was hoping to find an eye clean SI1.

Good to know re: budget. Also, is GOG taking your old stone as a trade-in and giving you money toward the new one, or are you keeping the old one as well?

About the sidestones...it depends. Do you prefer to keep them to the same proportions as your current ring? Or would it be OK if the sidestones were a bit smaller in comparison to your center stone? Personally I prefer tiny sidestones in a 3-stone ring...even 0.25 is too big for me if the center stone is 1 ct. I prefer something more like 0.25/1.5/0.25. So your tastes and mine may differ when it comes to 3-stones, but it can''t hurt to look at different size proportions. If it turns out you like it with smaller sidestones, then you could upgrade to a larger center without having to upgrade the sides...know what I mean?

Anyway, if it were me, I''d try to find the biggest center stone possible that fits both your budget and the ring. I would try to suggest a few more rocks for you to look at...however, there are a lot of variables right now. So if the GOG stone turns out not to be the one, and when you come to a decision on the size/proportions issue, let us know and we''ll be happy to help you find something fabulous!

This thread may be helpful, even though they''re all rounds...

fabienne

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply Diamond Explorer. I can''t wait to see the video and learn all the details on this diamond. I think they''re going to get it tomorrow.

Jstarfireb: I didn''t ask if they wanted to take my diamonds and I would be too embarassed to ask. I know for a fact that the sidestones are not ideal at all....I was thinking of having them made into earrings or something but would have to look for a setting that would hide the inclusions.

I will check out the link you gave. I believe that we are looking for a .40 sidestones to match but that was the size that the girl at GOG came up with. I hadn''t thought of keeping the same size (which I don''t know anyway). I just know those sidestones have to go at some point or another. We''re probably going to do it at all at once though. I guess it depends on what is available. I''ll keep you posted. Thanks so much for your help thus far.

trion.

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a Princess Cut and I''ve been taking it to local B&M places to look at comparisons. Looks certain ones aren''t abundant right now. Jarod''s does not have a Single AGS (000) E VS2 in their entire stock of stores and vault right now. I only know because the manager at the one I visited called every store and corp trying to get one to compare and try to get my business.

This is for a 1 carat size.

fabienne

Rough_Rock
I really can''t wait to see the video of this mystery diamond. I still don''t understand why it wasn''t in-house to begin with but I guess jewelry stores keep other diamonds elsewhere or are part of a network of some sort.

I was told that they would probably get the diamond on Monday when they send their runners to the Diamond District and would get a video on Tuesday. Its Wednesday already, and my vacation will be over soon. I waited a month to start this whole process just so I would have the time to travel back and forth. Maybe they forgot what they told me or forgot about me ...otherwise I would have liked an email/phone call stating why they weren''t able to proceed as discussed.

I guess this is a bad week with the holidays and all.....
8.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cutting AGS princess-cuts under 1Ct is technically not a problem, but there are economical problems.

Labour-cost of cutting these is relatively high compared to the value of the stone. The same is true about the relative cost of the report compared to the value of the stone. Marketing-cost (mostly a fixed cost too) is also high compared to the value of the stone. In the end, we cutters often find that cutting a rough stone to these standards ends up in a loss. That is the major reason why the supply in these smaller AGS princess-cuts is very limited.

As for you being anxious, Easter and Passover are important holidays for the trade, both in Antwerp and in New York. Many suppliers have closed their offices for the week, so a possible delay on that front would not surprise me.

Live long,

fabienne

Rough_Rock
Thank you Paul for your response. This makes me think that maybe I should purchase the stone since it has a lifetime trade up policy on it, and as soon as I get money again, upgrade to a carat or over. Or, I could get as close to a carat as possible right now and forgo the sidestones. I am just unsure of the range that the prongs/head can take.

I am aware of the importance to the holidays to the trade. Perhaps, the salesgirl was being optimistic in thinking she could get that done this week. But then agiain, maybe I was being optimistic in believing that it could happen by Tuesday as well. I just would have appreciated a call back/email so that I can stop checking my email incessantly, waiting to hear word back on the diamond.

I guess in the meantime, I will try to talk myself into liking RBs instead since they sparkle so much more!
30.gif
Does the same apply for cutting AGS RBs under a carat?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The same does not really apply to AGS rounds.

For instance a 0.65 I-VS2 round has a much higher value than a 0.65 I-VS2 princess. Still, most fixed expenses are the same for the round, and some are even cheaper for the round. So, percentage-wise, it has less impact on the rounds.

Live long,

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Paul (or anyone else) - I thought the princess cut was designed to save as much of the rough as possible. To me, it would follow that cutting a princess is less expensive than cutting a round diamond. What am I missing here?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cost of the rough or yield is not part of this equation.

It is fixed expenses compared to sales-value of the stone. Percentage-wise, because of the princess having lower sales-value, this poses a problem.

Live long,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results